db6501 or db691 for Rear 6x9 spot?

Options
JakeCourtney
JakeCourtney Posts: 55
edited October 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've going put a pair of db6501 in the front. I've got an Impala and it has 6x9 spots in the rear. Should I just buy the adapter to put another set of 6501's back here or should I would it be better to just stick with a set of coax 691's?

I don't know if it's a good idea to mix component with coax speakers or not. I've heard unless your buying really expensive 6x9's then round speakers are better.

Not sure which route to take.
Post edited by JakeCourtney on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Do you really need the rears? Do you have often have people at the back?

If not, don't bother running rears. Use the 4 ch's from the amp to bi-amp your components. A good hu and a sub will round out the set up nicely.
  • JakeCourtney
    JakeCourtney Posts: 55
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Here is what I've got so far.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P4200UB
    Front: Polk db6501
    5 Channel Amp: PA 1100.5

A friend is giving me some subs and they will have a mono amp.

Are the db6501 and the 1100.5 both bi-amp combatiable? As I almost never have back passengers that would be an option. I thought the rears were needed for SQ, otherwise wouldn't it sound empty?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Not at all. When you go listen to a concert, none of the musicians are behind you are they? Same principle here.

Plus you want the sound coming from as few drivers as possible. Having the same frequencies hitting your ears at different times from different locations causes bad things to happen.

So ideally its best to save the money youd spend on rears and put that towards the best set of front speakers you can get.

The DB6501's arent biampable thru the crossover but what you can do is run the tweeters off the front amp channels thru the crossover and run the mids full range thru the amps rear channels.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D