PA 1100.5 - 4 channel only

Options
JakeCourtney
JakeCourtney Posts: 55
edited October 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Polk has the PA 1100.5 listed as having 80 watts x 4 (@ 4 ohm) and 280 watts x (@ 4 ohm).

I'm thinking I'm only going to use this for the front and rears and not a sub. Would that give me any extra headroom for the 4-channel or would the extra wattage not be utilized as the sub section uses it's own power source?
Post edited by JakeCourtney on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2010
    Options
    The only way it might give you more headroom is in being less of a load on your charging system which would give you a little extra output. But if youve got a proper charging system, then youre not going to see a benefit.

If you dont already have this amp, youre much better off investing in the PA500.4 instead if youre not needing it to run your subs. The 500.4 is Polk's most powerful 4 channel. I can vouch for it - its competition approved. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • JakeCourtney
    edited October 2010
    Options
    I was able to get the PA 1100.5 for $260 shipped. I don't know if that is a good deal or not. I can alway's sell it I guess if I need to.

How many RMS does that sub channel put out if I've my subs are 2 ohm?
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited October 2010
    Options
    $260 for 1100.5 is def a good deal.
    Did u get it off Ebay or Craigslist?? I remember seeing it on both (might have even been from the same seller) just last week.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • JakeCourtney
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yeah, I bought it off ebay. It arrives later this week, but it looks like I'm going to be selling it as I just found a stereo amp that 100 x 2 at 4 ohm and I'm thinking that I'm only going to run two speakers now.

Supposedly it's suppose to be brand new unused, just the box was all beat the hell up. Paperwork and everything is included in plastic wrap. I might take it to an audio shop and have them test it completely to make sure it's working. Anyone looking for an 1100.5?
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2010
    Options
    That'd be my ideal amp but no funds :eek:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • JakeCourtney
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Well, I guess I'm going to have to list on ebay.
  • levibondok
    levibondok Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Options
    got the amp in yet? if you can confirm its condition is still good ill buy it off you
  • JakeCourtney
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Look like it's going back to the seller. The amp looks brand new, but I took it to a car audio place today and had them test it. Red fault light came on and it was super heating the wires they had plugged into it almost instantly.