Need help deciding on center channel for RCi system

BUSBY35242
BUSBY35242 Posts: 8
edited October 2010 in Speakers
Hello everyone,

We are in the process of building a new home and while pre-wiring my HT for in-wall speakers, I discovered that I can no longer use all in-wall speakers. I had plans to install a RC65i center channel speaker as well but unfortunately the plumbing contractor decided to run a 4" pipe right down the center of the wall where the spealer would go. So, now I have to decide on what kind of center channel to purchase to match my setup below. Please remember that the center will need to now sit on the consol below my TV. Ughhhh !!!

I thought about going with either a CS20 or CSi5 Channel Speaker. I am not sure, what do you think? In advance, thank you for your response.

• Samsung 55” PN58C6500 Plasma TV
• Denon AVR-789 - 90 Watts x 7 Channel A/V Receiver
• Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray Player
• Center Channel - ?
• Front L/R - Polk Audio RC65i
• Rear Back Surround L/R - Polk Audio RC60i
• Subwoofer - Polk Audio PSW505
• Patio L/R – TIC 6.5”
• Logitech Harmony Universal Remote
• Monster PowerCenter HTS 1000 MKIII
• All Monster Cables
Post edited by BUSBY35242 on

Comments

• BUSBY35242
    edited October 2010
    Okay, here is an update for everyone that read the original post. I just ordered a Polk Audio CS20 for the center channel. I was really torn between the CSi5 and teh CS20 but finally decided on the CS20. I have high hopes that it will be closely timber matched to the RCi in-wall speakers. So, the setup will look like this (pics attached of prewiring). The builder will start sheet rocking today. Let me know what you think.

• Samsung 58” PN58C6500 Plasma TV
    • Denon AVR-789 7.1 A/V Receiver
    • Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray Player
    • Center Channel - Polk Audio CS20
    • Front L/R - Polk Audio RC65i
    • Surround L/R - Polk Audio RC60i
    • Subwoofer - Polk Audio PSW505
    • Outdoor Patio L/R – TIC 6.5” Speakers
    • Logitech Harmony Universal Remote
    • Monster PowerCenter HTS 1000 MKIII
    • All Monster Cables and Wires
  • PrazVT
    PrazVT Posts: 1,606
    edited October 2010
    Looking at the RC65i page here, they mention it being timbre matched w/ the Monitor series - but if you look down at the recommended system, they mention the CSi3/5. So that's a little confusing. So perhaps they won't be completely timbre matched.

I have the CS20 matched w/ RTi A speakers (aka wasn't aware of timbre matching when I bought it) and I can tell a little now that I have RTi A surrounds - but it doesn't hurt my HT experience. I like the CS20 a lot - very clear dialog, good low end even. I'll probably get a CSi A6 at some point, but not in any hurry as of yet.

By the way - very cool that you get to prepare your new house for HT :)
    ALL BOXED UP for a while until I save up for a new place :(

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • BUSBY35242
    edited October 2010
    Thank you for the feedback PrazVT.

You know, I have been so torn between which one to order and I finally decided on the cheaper one as they both seemed to have the same feedback. But now that you mention it...I just canceled my order of the CS20. I read the recommendations for system config several times but absent-mindly ignored it.

I am not sure if I am making the right decision or not but I think I will now order the CSi center channel. I wonder if I will need the dual 6-1/2" center I(CSi5) or if the dual 5-1/2" (CSi3) will do okay for my setup? I am a little worried about the size but money is somewhat tight too :-)
  • PrazVT
    edited October 2010
    I've read that there is a significant improvement from the CSi A4 / 3 to the CSi A6 / 5. I listened to the A4 and A6 at Fry's and the a4 sounded great for its size. But they didn't have the A6 set up right (or it was underpowered) so it sounded very hollow. So didn't get a good audition of that one. I think the larger centers' have better low end, which improves dialog (noticed that going from a CS1 to a CS20).

I see the CSi 5 for $250 on amazon.com which is a lot cheaper than the $400+ I see for the CSi A6. I would say hold off (as hard as it is to do that :) ) until you can save up for the better one.

Home Theater:
    KEF Q900s / MIT Shotgun S3 / MIT CVT2 ICs | KEF Q600C | Polk FXi5 | BJC Wire | Signal / AQ ICs | Shunyata / Pangea PCs | Pioneer Elite SC 57 | Parasound NC2100 Pre | NAD M25 | Marantz SA8001 | Schiit Gungnir DAC | SB Touch

2 Channel:
    Polk LSi9 (xo mods), Polk DSW MicroPro 2000 sub | NAD c375BEE | W4S DAC1 | SB Touch | Marantz SA-8001 | MIT AVt 2 | Kimber Hero / AQ / Signal ICs | Shunyata / Signal PCs
  • PrazVT
    edited October 2010
    sorry - double posted :)

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • BUSBY35242
    edited October 2010
    Okay PrazVT, you convinced me of doing what I knew all along. I j ust purchased the CSi5 from Amazon.com. I can hardly wait to get it hooked up. All I need now is a good movie to watch that I havent seen yet :). I havent been able to really watch movies since we sold our other home 2 months ago. I will let you know how it sounds once we get moved in and all set up. Thx again PrazVT !!!
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,532
    edited October 2010
    I just bought a CSi5 a few weeks ago, and love it. I never realized how much the center really carried when I had a smaller one, explosions, voices, everything sounds better. I hope you enjoy!
  • BUSBY35242
    edited October 2010
    Hi codyc1ark,

The last center channel I had before we moved was the CS1. I have high hopes for the CSi5. I have read allot of posts that comment on how clear and accurate the voice is. The CS1 was somtimes a little muffled; I had to turn it loud at times to just understand what the actors were saying.
  • docjl
    docjl Posts: 41
    edited October 2010
    just read your thread. too bad about that pipe right in the middle.

are you getting it wired for 5.1, or 7.1?

I had my house wired for rear surrounds when it was built in 2003 and also an extra wire run to a back corner for a sub feed.

put the speakers in myself, everything sounds great but I kinda wish I had sprung for a couple more sets of speaker wire runs so I could do a 7.1
  • PrazVT
    edited October 2010
    No problem :) Do let us know how it works out! If I wasn't so hell bent on getting a matching cherry center, I'd probably have gotten a CSi5 myself.

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • PrazVT
    edited October 2010
    tsk ...all this center talk pushed me over the edge. My CSi A6 should show up on Friday :)

Home Theater:

2 Channel:
  • BUSBY35242
    edited October 2010
    How funny PrazVT. You could not stand it huh? I hear you man...once you get bitten...there is no turning back :). Let me know how it sounds once you get it setup; as I won't get a chance to hook mine up till after Thanksgiving. Hope you enjoy it.

By the way, what kind of receiver are you using?
  • PrazVT
    edited October 2010
    Well - I think this is the final piece. So I can concentrate on enjoying movies / music going forward :)

I'm actually using a Denon AVR-3311ci receiver (125w x 7). I have a Parasound amp powering the front towers right now (I listen to music in 2 ch mode). I do have an Onkyo 105w x 2 amp sitting around, so I'm pondering bi-amping the CSi A6 with that amp. Gotta see how much space is left in the entertainment rack.

Home Theater:

2 Channel: