Blown PDX! New amp search begins

Options
JoshParsons84
JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
edited October 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Yep title says it all. My PDX-100.4 has fried. Have no clue how I done it but now I am beginning the search to replace it. My installer at my audio shop has turned me on to a Rockford P300.2. I told him that I was planning on getting the Boston ProSE's and he said he could drop the ohms SAFELY and power the Pro's almost to spec. OK now...I need suggestions from the experts. Arun,Mac gimme y'alls input. Would that Rockford be suitable for the time being? He's charging me $220 for the amp and said he'll throw it in for 20 bucks. Little does he know though I'm gonna have him disect my wiring from the HU back and pinpoint my wiring issue cuz this is the last time I freakin mess with my **** blowing. OK question: go for the Rockford? Or....suggestions?
Post edited by JoshParsons84 on

Comments

• kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm wondering how your PDX fried.

Did you try replacing the fuses? Are you using the proper sized power cable and equal gauge ground? Is the ground properly connected to the body of your vehicle (meaning it's attached firmly on bare unpainted/sanded off metal?) Noob questions but it's always worth asking.

Wondering as well why the installer would point you torwards a 2-channel amp when you were previously running a 4 channel.

I plan on going active x-o later and utilize both my 2-channel amps for my components once I find a mono amp for my sub. Just a thought in case you wish to bi-amp your components with a 4-channel amp ;)

-Freddy
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • JoshParsons84
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Well...it still powers up and all the lights light up and everything but nothing happens. Where I'm kinda like a woman walking into a mechanic shop per se lol I have to go with what my installer says. I've had it about 3 years and just all of a sudden it quits working IDK. I was jamming real good, like always, turned it off and went in the store I was at come back out and NADA. Took it down to my installer and hooked it up to an ohms meter and said it wasn't putting out anything. I asked him what happened he's like "Oh amps just go out all of a sudden like that". Dude...**** nothing wrong with my mono

Things are funny about my whole entire stereo though lemme expalin. I have a Grand Prix and above my climate controls is my a lil cluster that tells me like if it's time to change oil, low gas, what doors are open etc.etc. and everytime any information beeps my entire stereo turns itself off and right back on. Then a couple days before my amp quit working I started hearing clicking noises coming from what sounded like above my speedometer and head unit. I dunno what I'm doing and I can't find any of these damn shops to have anything to do. I'm just wondering if maybe I got a short somewhere and this short has send feedback through my RCA's going to my 4-ch and fried it?

I don't wanna get a 2ch especially cuz I'd like to bi-amp my comp I'll END up getting. I tell ya what...I'm tired of **** around with these yay-hoos around town can somebody recommend me a reputable car audio shop around the West Virginia area? Closest Crutchfield is in Charlottesville, VA about a good 3 hours+ away. I've done my research gone with good equipment paid pretty penny for it and all I've ever wanted since I've had my Pro's and SPG is this **** hooked up right!!!! I mean is that really that much to ask for?
  • kawizx9r
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Man, you should just toss me a PM or give me a call. Installing a system is NOT hard, sometimes it just requires the proper tools and such to pry open certain door panels, screwdriver or torx drivers to open up certain dashes/etc.

When my new HU came in and I wired up a second amp, it took me about 40 minutes to get everything done up including splicing wires and everything. The only time it's time-consuming is when you're running new wire, and usually for that I take my time because I like to conceal everything for a clean look.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited September 2010
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Is the PDX still under warranty? If it is, obviously contact Alpine and send it in. If it isn't, you can take off the cover and look at the board to see if anything blew. I have a similar issue on my Sub amp where it will turn on but not produce any sound. I had a diode blow that should be an easy fix.

At any rate, an electronics shop should be able to fix the board for under $100 if it is over your comfort level. That's much better than buying a lesser amp for over twice the price.:cool:

Fixed :D. If its lighting up but there's no output, it could be a few things blown (like the diode) on the output side of the board. Relatively cheap fix. But there's something that triggered it. Might be worth investigating that too.

The guy at the shop is just being a salesman. If it's under warranty, send it back else have it checked locally.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2010
    Options
    He can "drop the ohms and power them properly?"
    You cant flip a switch and get 2 ohm power from an amp with a 4 ohm load.

Either I'm totally missing something, you're salesman is feeding you a line or he's completely ignorant.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited September 2010
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    He can "drop the ohms and power them properly?"
    You cant flip a switch and get 2 ohm power from an amp with a 4 ohm load.

Either I'm totally missing something, you're salesman is feeding you a line or he's completely ignorant.

If hes going from a 4-ch to a 2-ch, hes probably just wiring the left speakers together and the right speakers together, dropping the ohm load to 2.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • kawizx9r
    edited September 2010
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    If hes going from a 4-ch to a 2-ch, hes probably just wiring the left speakers together and the right speakers together, dropping the ohm load to 2.
    -Cody

Or the front left paired with the rear left and same with the right side.

Can we say **** sound quality? :eek:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• JoshParsons84
    edited September 2010
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »

Thank You Mac for pointing out the obvious :D I do believe he is just trying to make commision so ya know what F him. I've got an apointment Wednesday with a car audio shop who actually specializes in nothing but car audio who I feel good about especially about the fact they didn't try to sell me a bunch of junk I didn't need and they're gonna tear into my wiring from the head unit to speaks back to amps and see what the hell is going on and then they're supposed to check out my amp and see what's wrong with it for 70 bucks. (1 hour of labor)

Hey I dont mean to get off topic of discussion but i've got replace my alternator it's gettin ready to go out and was wondering if I should upgrade to a High Output or if stock would be alright? 200 amp off highoutputalternator.com is 400 bucks! Or 160 amp off Knu Konceptz for 225 or stock 105 amp for like 150
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Sundown Audio
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Unless you're rocking 2000 watts the stock alternator will be fine especially if you listen at "musical" levels. I was running 1600 off my stock Honda Accord charging system and never had a problem.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • JoshParsons84
    edited October 2010
    Options
  • JoshParsons84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Mac - do u think it's necessary to do the Big 3 upgrade if running a stock alternator?

Arun - how much COULD it cost for my shop to repair a blown diode if thats indeed what it is?
  • exalted512
    edited October 2010
    Options
    It's ALWAYS worth it to do the big 3, ALWAYS.

Usually, shops have minimum fees of around $75 just to look at the amp. If its something simple, it'll get fixed under the 75...if not...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Mac - do u think it's necessary to do the Big 3 upgrade if running a stock alternator?

Necessary? No. Ive never done it and never had a problem. Nothing wrong with doing it and it may help but I wouldnt consider it a requirement.

One thing I do consider a necessity is to upgrade the batteries ground cable if its a smaller one. My Accord has a tiny little 10 gauge ground wire and since I was using 1/0 for my system, I went ahead and slapped a 1/0 ground wire on there. My Edge has a 2 gauge ground on it so Ill leave that alone.

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited October 2010
    Options
    the new small kenwood amps are the exact same parts as the new small JL amps, just a few smaller capacitors (hence the different power raitings), if u dont believe me open them up, they are made by a company over here in Newport beach. They are better made than the PDX amps and around the same size.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • JoshParsons84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Well my shop looked at my wiring and everything for about an hour didn't charge me a dime :) They concluded that they needed more time than an hour to really find out what the hell everybody else has done wrong. So he suggested this word for word: "I know you probably don't wanna hear this but what I would suggest is start all back over because it's so jack-legged that I don't know how anything is playing with wires exposed and wires leading to nowhere". So now starts the dilemma of what to do...as everybody knows I've spent so much money already. I'm just not sure anymore that this is worth it to me. If I do this this way I'm gonna get me a new head unit first. Have this one shop and they're main installer and nobody else touch it, period. Maybe rip the wiring out and start over from scratch, i.e. take amp kits out d-blocks,fuse holders that are just thrown in there out. I wish I had a way to take pictures of it and show everybody how effed up everything is. What do u think? Should I mess with it 1 last time or hell with it throw stock back in and forget it?
  • JoshParsons84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    LMFAO!!!!!! OMG!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH Listen to this **** guys. So my starter has been going out for about a week now (oh yes along with the alternator) and changed it Friday. Well the battery terminals had corrosion all over the damn place. Took a wire brush cleaned them up and made them look real nice. Get to looking at my battery and best buy had everything all jerry rigged up. Long story short got everything cleaned back up and tight connections and everything looking good. Get back in the car check the starter, starter works fine OK cool. Get down the road on my way to work and decided I'm gonna try this stereo out now on a whim. I'll BE DAMNED!!! Not only does the son **** come on but it's louder and hitting harder than I've ever heard it before. I'm talking before I had to turn both my amps on 12:00 to even sound good with the vol at 30 and sub +15. NOW....both of my amps are set at 10:00, sub at 0 and vol at like 25 ish sometimes a lil louder and HOLY **** DUDE is all I can say. Those Polk DB's pound like you would not believe. I didnt think they could sound that good. Now my question is...what the hell? Because all I done was clean up a lil corrosion build up that my amps weren't getting the power they needed? But my battery is still weak because my alternator isn't keeping it charged. But damn it man I got my stereo back AND sounds better than it EVER has! I'm finally happy with my radio.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2010
    Options
    What about the wiring? did you get that checked? The fried pdx 100.4 is alive again?
  • JoshParsons84
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yes...wiring still needs 5-hour surgery done to it lol but there's nothing wrong with the 4ch.
  • exalted512
    edited October 2010
    Options
    So that shop spent an hour looking at it and couldnt find out it was a corroded terminal?

Damn son. Drive to Texas, I know a fantastic installer...happens to be sitting in front of a computer right now too :)
    -Cody