Rare Sony TA-N90ES 2-ch amplifier

Options
billbillw
billbillw Posts: 6,187
edited October 2010 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
This might be a long shot here, but I know there are at least a few Sony ES fans around.

I've decided to sell one of my rare and sought after Sony ES piece, the TA-N90ES MOSFET amp.

The pinnacle of Sony ES build quality and sound from the mid-90s with an original price of $2700! Sony's last great attempt at making pure analog 2-channel audiophile gear. Combined with the E90ES and the XA7ES these were statement pieces from Sony.

Weighing in at 48lbs and conservatively rated at 100W x 2 into 8 ohms/ 140Wx2 into 4 ohms. This amp has plenty of guts to drive most speakers with authority. I have been running my 4 ohm Sony SS-M9 for months with this amp and it has no complaints, only warm to touch and still able to play at loud enough levels to make my wife complain ;).

Still, the SS-M9 just seem to want a bit more power and I want to feed them with it (I have 400W x2 into 4 ohms on its way :D )

Bulletproof build quality and audiophile sound mated together. Look inside and you'll see loads of Muse Fine Gold caps, huge soup can main caps, a large toroid, independent R/L channels in a dual mono design with large heat sinks. Unlike most Sony ES amps, this one runs fairly cool and doesn't get beyond warm to the touch even after ours of listening.

This unit is near mint and comes in original box/packing (and will be double boxed for shipping). One small nick on the top/front edge that is hard to see. Otherwise perfect.

Electrically perfect as well, less than 2mV of DC offset in each channel, Bias set to spec at 90mV on both channels. No hum, buzz, thumps, pops, etc. Dead quiet background and beautiful lush sound.

I'm looking for $800+shipping. That might seem steep, but the last minty one on Ebay went for $905+shipping (item # 170513096065), and that one didn't have the guarantees of being checked out (electrically) and certified to have perfect operation like mine. This will weigh in close to 60lbs when double boxed for shipping. Shipping from Atlanta metro area (30127). Local pickup is fine as well.

Actual Photos Below:

Front, Top, Sides, Back, and GUTS!

FYI, the tiny scratch is on the edge just above the word 'protection' on the front face. Can you see it? Not really, except in the closeup. From certain angles it stands out more, but from most, it blends in. These photos are completely untouched. Just resized using Live Photo Gallery.

Oh, by the way, the main caps are actually LARGER than a soup can* ;)

*Cream of Mushroom not included with Sale.

Click to enlarge.

th_sonyes_5135sm.jpg

th_sonyes_5155sm.jpg

th_N90ES_52881024x681.jpg

th_N90ES_52821024x681.jpg

th_N90ES_52831024x681.jpg

th_N90ES_52841024x681.jpg

th_N90ES_52851024x681.jpg

th_N90ES_52861024x681.jpg

th_N90ES_52891024x681.jpg

th_N90ES_52901024x681.jpg

th_N90ES_52931024x681.jpg

th_N90ES_52941024x681.jpg
For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
Post edited by billbillw on

Comments

• billbillw
    edited September 2010
    Options
    A little Friday Bump. If no interest, it will be going to Ebay by next week.
  • Pycroft
    Pycroft Posts: 1,960
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I want those Sony SS-M9's. I'll give you SS-M7's and 350 bucks :)

J/K - I covet those speakers. There are some for sale in Detroit, but that's a 36 hour drive both ways :)

Good luck with the sale! Free friday bump!

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • restanim
    restanim Posts: 227
    edited September 2010
    Options
    This baby would look nice next to my XA7ES. I wonder how this amp compares to the TA-N77ES amps. The N77ES is 200 wpc and less money.
    polkaudio

Currently Own:
    RTA-11T Light Oak, Aug/2011 to present
    SDA-CRS+ Aug/2011 to present
    RTA-11T Black, Dec/2013 to present

Previously Owned:
    SDA-SRS 2.3 May/1990 to June/1991
    SRS 1.2TL June/1991 to May/1995
    SDA-1C Aug/2005 to Dec/2011
    SRS 1.2TL Sept/2009 to Sept/2015
  • billbillw
    edited September 2010
    Options
    restanim wrote: »
    This baby would look nice next to my XA7ES. I wonder how this amp compares to the TA-N77ES amps. The N77ES is 200 wpc and less money.

A whole other level of refinement and detail. Pure MOSFET amps like the N90ES are lush and about as tubelike as a solid state amp can get.

Also runs much cooler, has higher build quality, and better reliability. Those N77 and N80 amps are known to have problems due to the high temps they reach inside.
  • restanim
    edited September 2010
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    A whole other level of refinement and detail. Pure MOSFET amps like the N90ES are lush and about as tubelike as a solid state amp can get.

Also runs much cooler, has higher build quality, and better reliability. Those N77 and N80 amps are known to have problems due to the high temps they reach inside.

Oh. Well I have three N77 in service. They are 20 years old an have never been in the shop. The only problem that I have is the meter lamps burn out. I just relplace the bulbs my self.
    polkaudio

Currently Own:

Previously Owned:
  • restanim
    edited September 2010
    Options
    But your N90 would be sweet.
    polkaudio

Currently Own:

Previously Owned:
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Maybe I could get this on ebay for less. Put that sucker up lol

J/K nice amp man
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,006
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Beautiful amp... nice pics. BTW - A-gon BB is $860 with the last two sold going higher than that. So $800 is a good deal.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • billbillw
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Maybe I could get this on ebay for less. Put that sucker up lol

J/K nice amp man

Not likely. The other few I've seen on Ebay went for $750 or so, and they were scratched up, no box, and from sellers who didn't seem to know anything about the amp.
  • toucanet
    toucanet Posts: 580
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Pycroft wrote: »

J/K - I covet those speakers. There are some for sale in Detroit, but that's a 36 hour drive both ways :)

James

There is also a pair for sale on fleabay for a crazy amount for shipping alone.
  • billbillw
    edited September 2010
    Options
    toucanet wrote: »
    There is also a pair for sale on fleabay for a crazy amount for shipping alone.

He put the shipping so high because he said local PU only. He doesn't want anyone bidding unless they can local P/U.

I should mention, I know that guy. He posted all about them on Audiokarma. I believe he paid less than $100 for them from a pawn shop. When he got them, they had a bad midrange and a bunch of blown caps. He replaced the caps (with God knows what) and he ended up butchering both of the mids to try and fit a set of new Vifa cone and voice coils to them. He didn't seem to realize they were actually SEAS drivers. DOH!

Anyway, I doubt they sound anything like they should and there is no way he will ever get more than $600 for them. I wouldn't give him $300 for the pair knowing their history. The guy in Michigan, who has a truly nice pair, can't seem to get $1100 for them.

I feel a true market price for a set of SS-M9 would be $7-900 depending on location/condition.

BTW, this N90 amp is Pending a sale from Audiogon.
  • billbillw
    edited September 2010
    Options

James

James, You could make Holt Michigan for those SS-M9 in less than 12 hours. Stay the night and head back to NJ. They are worth it dude! Talk the guy down to about $800 and you'll have a set of speakers you will never let go of.

Heck, I spent about 16 hours in the car to get mine from NY to Michigan (round trip through Ontario), plus another 14 to get them home to Georgia.
  • bluecomet
    bluecomet Posts: 1,118
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Have you read the description of these particular speakers. They have gone thru the mill and sound like they were abused. I would love to own a set myself but for that kind of money they better at least have the original tweets and drivers. Plus the crossovers had to be rebuilt. That's o.k. if you know what kind of work was done. This set if a real roll of the dice. Just saying buyer beware.
    Polk HT system 1: LSIC, LSI25 mains, LSI F/X rears, Lsi F/X rear centers,
    Yamaha RX-V2500 System, Carver A753 3 channel amp.

Polk HT system 2: , SRT system with f/x 1,000's rear speakers on 7.1 system currently using Onkyo TX-RZ820 receiver, powered by Sunfire Grand Theater amp

Polk Speaker collection: SDA SRS 1.2tl x 2, SRT system, SDA SRS 2 P/B, SDA 2A, SDA 1C Studio, SDA CRS+, Monitor 7B & 4, SRS 3.1tl, RTA 15tl, LS90, LSI 9
  • billbillw
    edited September 2010
    Options
    This amp is available again. Buyer backed out.
  • Pycroft
    Pycroft Posts: 1,960
    edited September 2010
    Options
    James, You could make Holt Michigan for those SS-M9 in less than 12 hours. Stay the night and head back to NJ. They are worth it dude! Talk the guy down to about $800 and you'll have a set of speakers you will never let go of.

Heck, I spent about 16 hours in the car to get mine from NY to Michigan (round trip through Ontario), plus another 14 to get them home to Georgia.

Bill -

I'd rather hoped someone in the area was planning on coming to the East Coast. I'm a young family man and can't just leave for a few days to get speakers...I have the M7's, so it's not like I'm hurting for speakers, but the M9's will be mine some day :)

James
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • billbillw
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Bill -

I'm a young family man and can't just leave for a few days to get speakers...I have the M7's, so it's not like I'm hurting for speakers, but the M9's will be mine some day :)

James

Hey, me too. I was able to pull my deal off by only being away from the family for one day though. Although, they did have to put up with a JAM PACKED van for another 2 days on the return trip.

It seems to me that M9s are few and far between. If you really want a pair, some sacrifice is required to attain them. For me, it was 8 hours of border crossing HELL that I will never forget.
  • toucanet
    toucanet Posts: 580
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I noticed how he butchered the wood in order to make the modification. What a shame to do that to such nice speakers.

Question: Is there a place that still sells SEAS drivers and other parts for the SS-M9 loudspeakers?
    He put the shipping so high because he said local PU only. He doesn't want anyone bidding unless they can local P/U.

I should mention, I know that guy. He posted all about them on Audiokarma. I believe he paid less than $100 for them from a pawn shop. When he got them, they had a bad midrange and a bunch of blown caps. He replaced the caps (with God knows what) and he ended up butchering both of the mids to try and fit a set of new Vifa cone and voice coils to them. He didn't seem to realize they were actually SEAS drivers. DOH!

Anyway, I doubt they sound anything like they should and there is no way he will ever get more than $600 for them. I wouldn't give him $300 for the pair knowing their history. The guy in Michigan, who has a truly nice pair, can't seem to get $1100 for them.

I feel a true market price for a set of SS-M9 would be $7-900 depending on location/condition.

BTW, this N90 amp is Pending a sale from Audiogon.
  • billbillw
    edited September 2010
    Options
    He actually didn't butcher the wood. Only the original driver.
    As far as replacements, all the parts are discontinued except for the tweeter voicecoil, which is user replaceable and available from Madisound.
    toucanet wrote: »
    I noticed how he butchered the wood in order to make the modification. What a shame to do that to such nice speakers.

Question: Is there a place that still sells SEAS drivers and other parts for the SS-M9 loudspeakers?
  • billbillw
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Amp is sold for sure now.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited October 2010
    Options
    What'll you take for that can of soup ?? JK, congrats on the sale !:)