2»

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited September 2010
    Options
    bruss wrote: »
    So why are you adding it? lol

Because I am buying an Olive music server with wireless network access, and they have a free iPad app for managing music on the server.

While I could go with a wired connection to the music server I prefer to eliminate any possible electrical interference from a CAT5 or CAT6 cable to the interconnects and speaker wire. I am assuming the wireless will not create audible interference. And, the iPad is wireless.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • bruss
    bruss Posts: 1,039
    edited September 2010
    Options
    If you have a wired router, and say 2-3 wireless routers (one on each floor), all you have to do is turn the Wireless Routers into Access Points and then run an ethernet cable to each unit.

Then you have a Wireless Network on every floor!

I have wireless on all 3 floors, outside, in the street with a single cisco aironet 1100 WAP. Would it do me any good to enable the radios on my linksys running dd-wrt in the basement? I always prefer wire over wireless but i plan on getting a android tablet when they release.
  • bruss
    edited September 2010
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Because I am buying an Olive music server with wireless network access, and they have a free iPad app for managing music on the server.

While I could go with a wired connection to the music server I prefer to eliminate any possible electrical interference from a CAT5 or CAT6 cable to the interconnects and speaker wire. I am assuming the wireless will not create audible interference. And, the iPad is wireless.

Youll have to let us know how it turns out.. I guess it depeneds on the funtionality of the app alot.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Did you ever get this figured out?

I noticed that some routers don't like being demoted to switches or access points - so I wouldn't recommend using a router as a switch if you don't have to.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Thanks for asking. I ended up redoing my "IP Closet" where I redid all cables to be on the 192.168.0.1 router adding a 5 port switch. I turned off DHCP in the dsl modem router, setting the 192.168.0.1 router as a fixed address 192.168.1.3 // 255.255.255.0 sub // 192.168.1.254 gateway // DNS set as 192.168.1.254. I also set the HTPC as a fixed address (a tip of a co-worker) which stated network speed works faster if set as fixed over dhcp setting.

The goal here was to use a 1000 router / network in house, where the dsl modem / router is the feed it.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Serendipity
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Congrats!

Just as an experiment, I connected two Netgear Routers together by plugging one unit's WAN port into the other's "1-4" LAN ports. Thus creating a double-router chain with both routers' DHCP turned on.

What happened was that the connection would time out every so often and require resetting of the 2nd Router in order for connectivity to be restored. And if they were both connected via the LAN ports, NOTHING would work as they would be both trying to assign DHCP IP addresses all the time.

So the *best* solution, which you have used, is to turn off DHCP on the dsl modem router and use your Netgear (which BTW is a nice unit) as the DHCP server. Everything should work fine with this configuration.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• disneyjoe7
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Congrats!

Just as an experiment, I connected two Netgear Routers together by plugging one unit's WAN port into the other's "1-4" LAN ports. Thus creating a double-router chain with both routers' DHCP turned on.

What happened was that the connection would time out every so often and require resetting of the 2nd Router in order for connectivity to be restored. And if they were both connected via the LAN ports, NOTHING would work as they would be both trying to assign DHCP IP addresses all the time.

>> Did you changed the second Routers address to a different third octet of the first feed Router? I never had an issue doing it this way.<<

So the *best* solution, which you have used, is to turn off DHCP on the dsl modem router and use your Netgear (which BTW is a nice unit) as the DHCP server. Everything should work fine with this configuration.

Thanks running fine.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• bruss
    edited September 2010
    Options
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Thanks for asking. I ended up redoing my "IP Closet" where I redid all cables to be on the 192.168.0.1 router adding a 5 port switch. I turned off DHCP in the dsl modem router, setting the 192.168.0.1 router as a fixed address 192.168.1.3 // 255.255.255.0 sub // 192.168.1.254 gateway // DNS set as 192.168.1.254. I also set the HTPC as a fixed address (a tip of a co-worker) which stated network speed works faster if set as fixed over dhcp setting.

The goal here was to use a 1000 router / network in house, where the dsl modem / router is the feed it.

Are you running NAT on both the dsl modem and the netgear router?
  • disneyjoe7
    edited September 2010
    Options
    NAT is something which I don't play with, so I'm thinking default settings. I checked the dsl Router and it stated ON, the wireless / main Router I'm not sure but seen something like NAT filter ON.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Congrats!

Yes, I like the router as it seems to everything I need... But can I change the wireless power output? The issue I have is I must have a lot of refection of signal so I have a weak signal. With a Linksys router I found that 41mw worked best in my house and would have a 80% signal, right now I at 31% signal.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Serendipity
    edited September 2010
    Options
    disneyjoe7 wrote: »
    Yes, I like the router as it seems to everything I need... But can I change the wireless power output? The issue I have is I must have a lot of refection of signal so I have a weak signal. With a Linksys router I found that 41mw worked best in my house and would have a 80% signal, right now I at 31% signal.

I wouldn't recommend it. Even if you had an open-source router (like the Netgear RP614L), which allows you to run DD-WRT, setting the router to a higher power output would greatly shorten its life.

Instead, why don't you pick up a few access points (or use your old router as an access point) to expand your coverage?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• disneyjoe7
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I wouldn't upgrade the transmit radio for a better signal, but I felt a reduce transmit radio would work better. DD-WRT wrt54g router had a 71mw output but when I did a 41mw output my signal got better. I like your idea to use the router to expand the network. Or my idea to use the wrt54g router to do 54g network only, but then I wonder about my network printer again which would be on another optet number.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Serendipity
    edited September 2010
    Options
    You should be fine. Use the wrt54g router as an Access Point only - you will still be able to print to your network printer.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Roshalshas reported. Bubye
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer