X-over points on PA amps???

Options
Vital
Vital Posts: 747
edited September 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Anyone know exact x-over points on PA amps??

FLAT is obvious
LPF - i'm assuming would be somewhere in 250-500Hz area
HPF - ???
2008 Nissan Altima
Kenwood DNX 5140
Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
Post edited by Vital on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited September 2010
    Options
    LP / HP depends on what you have connected to the channels. For a sub you would LP and for a mid you'd HP. Typically, this xover point is in the 40-80hz range. If you set it at the hu you can either bypass at the amps or set it at the same point as on the hu.
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited September 2010
    Options
    arun1963 wrote: »
    If you set it at the hu you can either bypass at the amps or set it at the same point as on the hu.

This would be a bad thing when applied to home theater, the same wouldn't be said for car audio?

I've heard some nasty 'humps' in the frequency range when both a sub's crossover and processor's crossover were both being used to filter out frequencies at the same time. It's usually one or the other that's being used.

I haven't done that for car audio though so correct me if I'm wrong. I just like to use the one on my amp since I can dial it precisely where I want it at.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • arun1963
    edited September 2010
    Options
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    I've heard some nasty 'humps' in the frequency range when both a sub's crossover and processor's crossover were both being used to filter out frequencies at the same time. It's usually one or the other that's being used.

Yes and no. Will come back to this tmrw morn. It's 2 am here.
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Just spoke to Briana who prosimed to find out on exact cut-off points and call me back. I'll keep u guys posted.

btw - while i was on hold they had Queen's "We are the champions" song playing which make me think of momo's "championship performace" marketing. Wonder if that was just a coincidance there :)
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • arun1963
    edited September 2010
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Excuses excuses
    :p:p:p

kawizx9r wrote: »
    I've heard some nasty 'humps' in the frequency range when both a sub's crossover and processor's crossover were both being used

I'm not a big fan of cascading or staggered xovers. But I also know that mindsets limit your progress here. I've learnt that, far too often with car audio. I guess it's finally sunk in. ;)

The fact is, that in a car both can be made to work and yes, while avoiding 'humps' or 'dips' in the overall sound. They would be used for different purposes and yes they would be band aids at best, but they would work.

Cascading xovers is setting them at both the hu and the amp. In a car you would do this to prevent sub localisation, since most subs in a car are behind you. Your ears locate 'source' above about 70hz. Cascading gives you the 12dbs or so of extra slope. The catch here is to set the point on the amp slightly higher than on the hu. Apologies to Dskip cause I told him the opposite in another post. Got to stop these late night posts. :)

Eg - you set a xover at 50hz on your hu on a 24 db slope and 70 hz will only be about 12 db down from 50hz. Typically the sub plays the 50+ range much louder than 20-40hz range.

Cascading and setting the amp to 60hz would remove the range you want eliminated anyways and its already down 12db without messing with the original slope set at the hu. The 'humps' would appear if you set the amp lower than that at the hu. That would cause a hump. You'd hear one range then a dip and then the next range.

Car audio and home audio are two very different animals. You're aiming for the same goal but the paths taken are very different.
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited September 2010
    Options
    It's why I asked, and you just explained why it'd work. Thanks :D
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.