Suggest Speaker

Options
rameshiyer
rameshiyer Posts: 12
edited October 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I would like to install either DB691 OR DB6501 in my Tata Nano car. No other speaker will be installed due to lack of provision. Also No amplifier due to electrical constraints and space. (Battery 12V, 25AH only). I don't want boom, boom sound. I want only crystal clear sound. Please advise me which speaker is good ? . Any other suggestion for speaker other than DB691 OR DB6501. My choice for head unit is Pioneer DEH 5290/5250SD. Kindly let me know the combination of Head Unit and speaker. Thanks in advance
Post edited by rameshiyer on

Comments

• rameshiyer
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Without Amplifier, whether Component speaker or Coaxial speaker is suitable for head Unit ? . Please help me.
  • Valentine
    Valentine Posts: 46
    edited September 2010
    Options
    not really famaliar with either of those speakers. But i can tell you that the clear and cleanest sound you can get is going to be from a pair of seperates, with an amplifier. They do make Seperates without external crossovers that would work in your situation. I would recomend the JL 650 cxi or even the SPS-600c. The JLs are a little bit more pricey but have more realistic sound. The alpines have a much brighter tweeter so if you a tweeter freak alpine is the way to go. They both range from 115 a pair to 200 a pair.

As far as the head unit goes, If its not a Premier Pioneer radio i would stay away, you can get a kenwood exc. for around the same money and have better sound and adjustment option. But i do like pioneer have had tons of them.

Mitchell
  • rameshiyer
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Dear Valentine

Thank you for the suggestion. However, you may please not that due to constraints in my car, I cannot fit amplifier. car battery is only 12v,25ah battery. Hence, I can only go upto one single head unit + 1 set of speaker. Nothing more.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Since you're not running an amp I'd just go with coaxials db651's. No point spending extra on the 6x9 or the components if youre not going to run an amp.
  • rameshiyer
    edited September 2010
    Options
    dear arun

Thank you for the reply. What about Head Unit. Pioneer Head Unit DEH5290 is my choice. any other suggestions, please. Arun, you may be aware the problem in Tata Nano, otherwise, I will install the amplifier. anyway I want good music system without amplifier. Kindly suggest a good combination of system.
  • arun1963
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Get a hu with time alignment and a 5-7 band equaliser.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Id get the 6x9's. The extra cone area will add to midbass response and even into the sub bass response which will give you better overall sound. I owned the MMC691's for a couple years and theyre my alltime favorite coaxial.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • rameshiyer
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Dear Arun and MacLeod.

Thanks very much. I will consider MMC691 coaxial speaker for rear parcel try.

Dear Arun

As suggested by you, I would like to purchase the Head Unit with time alignment. However, I don't know which Head Unit having "time alignment". If you don't mind, kindly suggest good Head Unit with time alignment for my Tata Nano. I am looking for a detailed information , please
    I would be very grateful to you, if could providing following details.
    Brand, Model and Price, (if known) etc.
  • rameshiyer
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Dear Arun

On more thing, I would like to know whether MMC691 is available in India ?.
  • arun1963
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Mac is Moses here. I think he's talking about mounting the 6x9 in front doors like he had. In a Nano thats impossible. Yes, 691's are available here. You can mount the 6x9 on the rear deck but you don't want any speakers behind you. If you can fit the 691's up front then yes these are the best coaxial to go with.

On the hu, 7150 seems to be the top of the line pio sold here. While it has a 7 band eq there's no time alignment. The p-880 would be an over kill for your application. So I might look for an Alipne + imprint or a Kenwood Excelon KDCX 794 etc. You're lookling at 10-12K for the hu package. Check with local stores.

Once the Nano is out of warranty, look at installing a bigger alternator, something in the 50-60amps range. You can then run an amp, subs and components etc.
  • rameshiyer
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Dear Arun

Thank you for the detailed solution and educating me. I intend for rear mount speaker at parcel try only and not front mounting. Is it required to remove the existing tray and put a 18mm MDF try for rear mounting of 6x9 coaxial speaker. I feel company fitted tray is not stable for speaker mounting. Are you suggesting DB691 or MM691. Kindly make it clear. Definitely, I will look into the Head Unit suggested by you. What about Clarion sets. In which one model having time alignment. Here my choice is limited. Availability in my city is very limited. Also there are telling exorbitant amount. I am a hardcore carnatic music listener. I don't want any compromise on Sound Quality. I need crystal clear sound. You may be aware the limitation of the Tata Nano. As no option in front. I am fixing speaker in rear parcel try. I don't want any other alteration in Tata Nano, otherwise, warranty may be question. Tata Dealer cautioned me about it. Is any Ready made MDF parcel try is available for purchase?. Can I install pair of Tweeter speaker Polk Db1001 under front seat. Is it enhance sound quality?. I am looking your sincere advise, please. sorry for the trouble.
  • arun1963
    edited September 2010
    Options
    If the front doors don't have a provision for installing speakers, I guess you will have to mount them on the rear parcel tray. For sure you will have to change this as the thin plastic tray will not hold the weight of these speakers. Any car installer in your area will do this for you. Go with a 3/4"-1" MDF board.

The MM691 will be more expensive than the DB series. If you're going to run it off the HU then I might just stay with the DB691. You don't need tweeters under your seat. Clarion HU will be fine too.
  • rameshiyer
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Dear Arun

Thank you for the advise and prompt reply. I will install head unit and speaker as suggested by you.

Thanks once again
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2010
    Options
    arun1963 wrote: »
    Mac is Moses here.

Yeah Im 38. So what? There's no need for name calling and age jokes here.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2010
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »

Holy crap. Youre like twice as old as I am.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Yeah Im also twice as tall as you are so there! :p

• arun1963
    edited October 2010
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »

Jeez bro, a 47 yr old guy would be the last person to be making fun of age. I'd kill to be 38 again and not make the mistakes I made between 38-43. It was meant as a compliment for your experience with CA..........hang on your comment was in jest right? :p