New Amps

Keske944
Keske944 Posts: 134
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I hate to say it but I'm kinda dissapointed in the new MOMO amps. There just isn't enough power there. Sure they'll run the new (and weaker) MOMO subs but what about thoes of us who want to run the more powerful MM10 and MM12's??? We would have to have a trunk frull of MOMO amps just to run two of the more powerful MOMO subs and two MM6 component sets. I love my Polk speakers and I don't think that I will ever put any other speaker in my car unless it has the Polk name on it but I'm just going to need to see some more power before I switch to Polk/MOMO amps. Sorry guys... maybe next time.

Adam Keske

p.s. ran into some problems with my install (you know the standard stuff of having to make more "room") but if all goes well from here on out I should be jamming in about a month. Kick panles are in and the dorrs are almost finished. All i need now is the rears and the wiring. I'll keep you posted.
Patience... patience...

Screw patience... Crank the volume and floor it you panzie.
Post edited by Keske944 on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    i want pics of the kick panels :) dont even have to be "finished" -- i just want pics of the glass job.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2003
    And where did you demo these amps? As far as I know, they are not on the market yet.
  • Keske944
    edited June 2003
    The specs are on the web page. Take a look and see for yourself.
    Patience... patience...

• PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    if those amps hit the stores and even one of them comes out more than 3% above spec, i'm gonna be shocked outa my skull.

so -- adam's judgement based on spec power numbers is viable, fair, and most likely exactly the same judgement he'd make if the amps were on the shelf for demo.

power is power -- and 500 x 1 bridged... even if its 600 x 1 bridged, is not enough to run more than one sub off of.

hopefully they will be above spec, 550 - 600 x 1 is good for a momo 12...

if they're below spec, and come out like 425 - 450 x 1 bridged for the 150.2, then we're all gonna have a good ol' laugh when the company cant build an amp capable of running its own subs.

ya never know -- these are teh guys who built a demo car with an alpine 500 mono amp pushing two momo 10's --- 250w... i wonder if the speakers even moved or if there were a family of gerbles and hamsters inside the box pushing it back and forth.

i dotn understand why you'll spend all the time, busting your ****, putting in your intelligence, time, and hard work to build what is without a doubt a gorgeous looking car, a super clean install, tv screens, all that jazz, and do an absolute great job -- and then go and finish it off by putting a midget amp in there.

that's the closest thing to automotive blue balls i think i've ever seen.
  • Keske944
    edited June 2003
    LOL Vinnie. As for the pucs that you wnated... I'm taking some with my car tore all to hell and then I take some final product pics just to give you an idea of what I had to go through. But just like the amps I'm going to wait until my car is finished before I start showing it off. However, I won't be underpowered.
    Patience... patience...

• PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    I have no fear that you shall have phat beats run amok :)

as you wish, i'll wait for pics... i just know u are anal as hell about the details of the car and i imagine those have to be on ehell of a set of kick panels... :)
  • Keske944
    edited June 2003
    Anal? Ok maybe a little. The only thing i would change about the kicks is he wrapped them in black carpet and my interior is tan. However, after seeing them in there for a little while I think that It realy brings out the install. I would also like to get my hands on the silver MOMO grills just to accent it a little more but If I can;t find any black will have to do. I wanted the install done about two weeks ago but alas things didn't work out that way. Now I just need to get him the car again and get it finished.

(btw his work is excellent but he musta hooked somthing up wrong bc my tach, heat guage, and battery meter are reading wrong. Got the hook up at a shop that is gonna take a look.)
    Patience... patience...

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    just take the black grilles and spray paint them...
    -Cody
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited June 2003
    You can always find a pair of mm465's on ebay and use the grill (x-over too... much better than the mm6's) from them... i think they normally go for 150-200 a pair... backup gear if you blow something and it's gonna be a bit till you have the time to replace it too ;D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • Keske944
    edited June 2003
    I may end up just painting em myself
    Patience... patience...

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    ya never know -- these are the guys who built a demo car with an alpine 500 mono amp pushing two momo 10's --- 250w
    Which demo car are you refering to?
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited June 2003
    ouch he's mad now ;D
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    *grumble* not at anyone -- at the webpage -- they got rid of the polk demo cars and just have customer jobs up now.

i thus cannot link you, but it was a silver BMW or Mercedes -- it wasn't a ricer, and wasn't domestic... 99% sure it was BMW / Merc.

it had a single TV screen on the trunk lid when u opened the trunk with two alpine amps on the "back wall" of the trunk -- one for highs, one for subs... it was the MRD500 or MRV500D - whatever its called.

with a single momo 10" on each side of the trunk facing "left to right" --- in fiberglass custom fabbed boxes.

that help?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited July 2003
    You mean this one?

BMW Installl
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    *grumble* not at anyone -- at the webpage -- they got rid of the polk demo cars and just have customer jobs up now.

I think you are confused, here is the link to BOTH customer AND polk installs:

http://www.polkaudio.com/car/installs/

~JB
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2003
    It is two MM12's and it sounds great. If the Alpine amps (or any amps) is fed enough input voltage, they can hit. Even with the back seat folded up, there was more than enough bass.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    ahh there we go! thanks justin --- i couldn't find that tab on the main www.polkaudio.com/car page -- it had a tab for "customer installs" and then flipped up the customer page but didn't give that page that u had wher eu could click on either one (dealer/customer).

did you guys redo this car????????????????

here's a shot of it now....
    http://www.polkaudio.com/images/systemsPolk/15_7_big.jpg

that alpine amp on the left is huge lookin... if that's the sub amp then u guys must have upgraded to the new 1000 watter... when the car was made the 1k wasn't even available nor do i think alpine had an amp that big available in any class. the new big 4 channel also just came out.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2003
    The big amp is the MRV-F540 4 channel and the smaller one is the MRD-M500 mono block. The four channel runs two sets of MM6's and the mono runs the subs at 2 ohms parallel. The install was never changed.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    thats a big **** 4 channel. :)
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited July 2003
    speaking of installs...josh or justin...a guy posted a question about when his set up will be on your website
    heres the link to his post:
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10705
    thanks for looking at it
    -Cody