What is Eyefinity

fbm211
fbm211 Posts: 1,488
edited October 2010 in Video Games
What is this ATI technology and why does it have an added cost?

Im debating between the MSI lightning II radeon 5970 and the Gigabyte GTX 480
SDA-2BTL with custom IC
Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
Harman Kardon T-55c TT
DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
Post edited by fbm211 on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited September 2010
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Bobsama
    Bobsama Posts: 526
    edited September 2010
    Eyefinity is a multi-screen gaming "thing". The general idea is that you can use 2+ displays and thus have a higher resolution gaming experience. It doesn't work well with TN panels in portrait mode. You'd be better off with the more expensive Dell IPS panels (Ultrasharp 21.5+").

To be honest, if you're not a computer enthusiast, buying an HD5970 or GTX480 is just throwing money for a benefit you may never see. My general advice would be to find a computer enthusiast to help you through the process.
    polkaudio Monitor 5 Series II
    polkaudio SDA-1 (with the SL1000)
    TEAC AG-H300 MK III stereo receiver
    beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) headphones
    SENNHEISER HD-555 headphones
    Little Dot MK IV tube headphone amp
    Little Dot DAC_I balanced D/A converter
  • fbm211
    fbm211 Posts: 1,488
    edited September 2010
    I was just wondering why the added cost..
    It looks damn cool what there doing with the technology though.But I dont want or need several monitors.
    SDA-2BTL with custom IC
    Adcom 565 monoblocks--Monarchy Audio M-10 preamp
    Theta Data Basic Transport--Stello DA100 Signature DAC--Camelot Dragon Pro2 MK III
    Harman Kardon T-55c TT
    DH Labs Q-10 Signature Speaker Cables With Furez silver plated copper bananas
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Reference AES/EBU
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s digital cable
    4 Furutech FP-314Ag with FI-11cu Plugs/FI-11AG IECs--- Power Cords
    DH LABS REVELATIONS ICs-amps
    Revelation Audio Labs Paradise cryo-silver ICs-Source to pre
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited September 2010
    fbm211 wrote: »
    It looks damn cool what there doing with the technology though.But I dont want or need several monitors.

More monitors = more productivity

If I had 3 monitors, I'd run all 3; Fedora+Windows+ and w/e I feel like on the 3rd. Oracle virtualbox and VMWare virtual machines for endless multi-tasking :D:D:D

Currently only use 2 though, an Acer 19" and Asus 24"
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    edited September 2010
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    More monitors = more productivity

If I had 3 monitors, I'd run all 3; Fedora+Windows+ and w/e I feel like on the 3rd. Oracle virtualbox and VMWare virtual machines for endless multi-tasking :D:D:D

Currently only use 2 though, an Acer 19" and Asus 24"

Man, I normally have 8 to 10 tabs open at any given time on just one monitor. 3 would be insane. :eek:
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited September 2010
    messiah wrote: »
    Man, I normally have 8 to 10 tabs open at any given time on just one monitor. 3 would be insane. :eek:

Haha, now I have 16 to 20 tabs open (8-10 per monitor lol).

It's great though when comparing stuff side by side or watching something in full screen while multi-tasking on the other monitor.

Thing is though, if you're running 2 different monitors (diff make/model) it's harder to get them looking the exact same. I plan on getting another 24" Asus though ;)
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • Bobsama
    Bobsama Posts: 526
    edited September 2010
    fbm211 wrote: »

There is, in fact, no added cost for an Eyefinity-capable graphics card. It's a standard feature on most if not all Radeon HD 5000 graphics cards.

Anyways, I run two monitors. A little Sherwood int.amp makes a decent stand for the second. The first is an Acer X213H (21.5", 1920x1080) and the second is an Acer X193W+ (19", 1680x1050). That said, while I have a KVM switch, I don't ever use it. I use "TightVNC" or Windows "Remote Desktop Connection" to log into my other computers. With a 10/100 switch, it works pretty well. I rarely have the remote connection open unless I need to change something or want to check how it's running. As I've found out, Windows XP/Vista/7 Pro (and higher versions) as well as Windows Server are all compatible with the default Remote Desktop software. TightVNC works on almost anything. So if extra computers are Linux or not a Professional+ edition, you can still log in.
    polkaudio Monitor 5 Series II
    polkaudio SDA-1 (with the SL1000)
    TEAC AG-H300 MK III stereo receiver
    beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) headphones
    SENNHEISER HD-555 headphones
    Little Dot MK IV tube headphone amp
    Little Dot DAC_I balanced D/A converter
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,199
    edited October 2010
    ^^^^^ Well, there goes my chance to sign up for a holiday to Mexico.
    Sal Palooza
  • sabotg
    sabotg Posts: 126
    edited October 2010
    EyeFinity is cool. At first I didn't think it was a good idea as the monitor bezels would be too distracting. When I had a chance to see Eyefinity in action i have to say it is damn impressive. The bezels aren't as much of a distraction as I thought. On some games (Dirt 2) the side bezels of the monitor lined up with the A pillars of the rally car we were driving. It was really cool being able to look out your side window to see the other driver trying to creep up on you. One thing to mention is that it's plug in and go with DP (Display port) capable monitors but if you have multiple DVI monitors you will need to buy a dongle ($30-$40) to get it working. Make sure you check out the details on the AMD website. Also I'm pretty sure the next generation of cards supports up to six monitors. Wish MS was still doing flight sim :D