MW6503 drivers for recently purchased SDA-SRS

Options
audio_alan
audio_alan Posts: 770
edited November 2010 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Guys,

I just purchased a set of SDA-SRS. Unfortunately a few of the drivers should be fixed or replaced because of slits in the surrounds. :( Anyone have some extra MW6503 drivers laying around? If so, please let me know how many you have and what you'd like for them.

I hope to get these back to "new" quality soon!

Thanks!

Alan
Post edited by audio_alan on

Comments

• HB27
    HB27 Posts: 1,518
    edited September 2010
    Options
    DIrect from Polk is probably your best shot. Make sure you tell 'em you're in the Club Polk
  • audio_alan
    edited September 2010
    Options
    HB27 wrote: »
    DIrect from Polk is probably your best shot. Make sure you tell 'em you're in the Club Polk

Yeah, I might go that route if I can't find some originals. I think I'll wait a while and see what turns up though. The speakers are still functional as-is, but I'm somewhat reluctant to really crank them in their current state...
  • thejck
    thejck Posts: 849
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Is there a difference between the ones that polk sells now compared to the orginals?
  • audio_alan
    edited September 2010
    Options
    thejck wrote: »
    Is there a difference between the ones that polk sells now compared to the orginals?

I don't have first hand knowledge, but I've heard the new replacements are slightly different cosmetically, and some people even claim that they don't have the same excursion.
  • Vette C6.r
    Vette C6.r Posts: 1,560
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I think that Toolforlifefan had a set of RTA 15's and only used one as a center channel.

They have (4) 6503's in them.

Can't say what he did with the other one but might we worth a shot to ask.
  • audio_alan
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Vette C6.r wrote: »
    I think that Toolforlifefan had a set of RTA 15's and only used one as a center channel.

They have (4) 6503's in them.

Can't say what he did with the other one but might we worth a shot to ask.

He already sold them. Thanks for the suggestion anyway...
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Alan,

I do have a Polk replacement 6503 that I bought a couple of years ago direct from Polk. I will sell it to you very cheap if you want it. It works and looks perfect, although it is a newer driver and not an original. Just PM me if you are interested.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • audio_alan
    edited November 2010
    Options
    headrott wrote: »
    Alan,

I do have a Polk replacement 6503 that I bought a couple of years ago direct from Polk. I will sell it to you very cheap if you want it. It works and looks perfect, although it is a newer driver and not an original. Just PM me if you are interested.

Greg

I recently picked up some 6503's out of a set of 15tl's, dated 1990. Comparing them to my 6503's in my SRS's (dated 1985), the 1990's have a dust cap that is about a 16th of a inch smaller in diameter than the 1985's. The excursion seems slightly less on the 1990's as well.

So, to get my speakers to match better, I'd like to find one more 6503 circa 1990, if possible. I wonder if the "newer" drivers match the 1990 drivers, or if there is yet another (or more) slight variation of the 6503's since 1990?

At this point I'm scratching my head. What actually constitutes an "original" 6503? 1985-1989? <shrug>