LSi Impedance

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited November 2001 in Technical/Setup
The LSi's have 4 ohms on the Polk site, although the Sound & Vision 2002 Buying Guide has 8 ohms for at least one of the models Polk lists as 4 ohms. So--is the 4 ohm "recommended", like watts per channel, or is it "required"? I ask because my Onkyo TX- DS494 rcvr is rated at 55 x 5 at 8 ohms & 70 X 5 at 6 ohms, w/an advisory against less than 6 ohm spkrs. It easily gives me the volume I need for RT55i's in my apt, but they're 8 ohms & 91 Db sensitivity. If my local dealer would credit a trade-in on these, I might go for a pr of the smallest LSi's, but that's a moot point if my rcvr can't handle them. A user review of the TX-DS494 on another site stated that the user has 4 ohm spkrs & hasn't had any problems driving them, but I would like more info/input on this matter. thanks.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I bet the S&V buying guide has mis-print. I believe all the LSi's are rated 4 Ohms. As for your receiver: I'd say that if it says in the manual not to use 4 Ohm speakers, then you'd probably trip the protection circut, at high volumes, if you try and use them.

The LSi's are meant to be "high end" speakers, and meant to be used with better-than-average equipment. I'm not knocking your Onkyo receiver, but it just doesn't have the high current muscle that a good seperate amp does. Few receivers do.

I think to get the best out of the LSi's they need to be driven with a seperate amp. That's my opinion. Seems like this was discussed in another thread.......Yep, Paul DiComo said "you need a better amp to drive these puppies....if you have mid-level electronics, LSi is not for you."