New setup, would like some advise!

Options
payling
payling Posts: 3
edited September 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I would like some help in regards to what to buy for my new car audio setup. I plan on replacing my four stock 6' 1/2 speakers in my 2000 Saturn SL2 with Polks.

I've been jumping between the db and mm series but can't decide on which speakers to purchase. Coaxial or component? 651 or 6501? I've never owned a set of components and there are currently no mounting holes for tweeters in my Saturn.

I've been browsing amazon and found the component speakers from Polk tend to be almost 100 dollars more than their coaxial counterparts!

Are components worth the extra money?

Should I buy an amp if I buy either of these series?

Suggestions welcome!
Post edited by payling on

Comments

• chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited September 2010
    Options
    payling wrote: »
    I would like some help in regards to what to buy for my new car audio setup. I plan on replacing my four stock 6' 1/2 speakers in my 2000 Saturn SL2 with Polks.

What type of sound are you looking for in your car? Do you want it loud, or do you want more detail from your music? Or both? Answering this truthfully, will help us find the best fit for you. Also, if you can give us a budget that would be great.
    've been jumping between the db and mm series but can't decide on which speakers to purchase. Coaxial or component? 651 or 6501? I've never owned a set of components and there are currently no mounting holes for tweeters in my Saturn.

MM serious is polks new flagship line, there is also a dxi line which will be their mid-range, and their db is there economy line.

Co-axial are full range speakers, they will play all frequency ranges.
    Components sets will play most frequency ranges split into different drivers to offer more precise detail in the music its is playing.

You can always make tweeter pods and mounts in your car yourself.
    I've been browsing amazon and found the component speakers from Polk tend to be almost 100 dollars more than their coaxial counterparts!

Are components worth the extra money?

I say yes. But you generally will need a sub-woofer for your lower extension.
    Should I buy an amp if I buy either of these series?

You don't have to, but you won't able to enjoy whichever series to its fullest without the extra power. Extra power will provide more accurate detail and will increase the loudness of any set of components/co-axials.
  • payling
    payling Posts: 3
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I think I'd like to go with more detail and less "loudness". I already have a 12" subwoofer and mono amp so the lows should be taken care of. Sounds like from what your telling me I should invest in components for the mids and highs rather than the coaxial full range speakers.