Inverted amp mounting

Options
cruisedave
cruisedave Posts: 11
edited September 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello All,
I'm in the process of my first install and have a question regarding anyone's experience with an upside-down mount of 2 Polk amps. I have a 500.4 now, and for my birthday my lovely wife surprised me with a 1200.1 to power my SR124 DVC (sealed). I have a '00 VW Jetta and I actually use the trunk on a weekly basis, so I need the room.
I was considering mounting the amps upside-down in the trunk, to the shelf behind the headrests. I also have room to mount 1 or 2 cooling fans (if needed) next to and/or behind the amps.
I know that heat dissipation is a concern and that it is generally said that amps should be mounted upright - anyone have any experience with this? Also, I figure that since the 1200 is only powering one SR 124, I will probably end up with the gain only half way up or so, so that might help to reduce the heat production.
Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks!
-Dave
Post edited by cruisedave on

Comments

• chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend mounting any amp upside down because of the heat sink location. Can you mount it on it sides?
  • cruisedave
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I can't really mount them on the sides, although I'll have to take another look at that option now. Initially I though that there was just not enough flat area to mount 2 amps. I might be able to cut out some carpet though, and do it that way. Ill have to check.
  • chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited September 2010
    Options
    You can also stack/layer the amp on top of each other (like a stair).
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited September 2010
    Options
    If have enought space under your rear deck "shelve" to fit 2 PA amps here's your perfect solution:

-Build another shelve to imitate yout car's shelve (any wood will do, should be easy)
    -Secure it a few inches below your car's "shelve"
    -Secure amps right on top of your new home-made shelve.

Basically your amps will be right inbetween your car's and your custom shelves AND will be mounted the right way, not upside-down.

KINDA something like this, but neater lol
    I actually wanted to do this to my car but there's just not enought space :(

Picture-001.jpg

edit: i quess this pic is to small to actually see something lol. Well, u get the idea.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • cruisedave
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Thanks - that might be what I do with the shelf - I do have the room there and was thinking that might fit well. i even have some extra carpet from the sub box that I can use to cover it all. I'll do it in the next few weeks and post some pics when done. Thanks everyone for your advice - this new guy can use all the help I can get!
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited September 2010
    Options
    You don't mount an inverted amp cause hot air rises. The heat dissipated by the amp would continue to envelope and surround the amp. The amp would get no ventilation and it would clip and shut down. Over a period the amp would fry. Its not the placement of the heat sink but simple physics that dictates this.
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited September 2010
    Options
    If you happen to have the Monsoon system in your Jetta then you will notice that the monsoon amp is not inverted and it is mounted to your rear deck. The only amp I have been successful in mounting inverted is the JL Audio slash series but this amp has an excellent design...
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited September 2010
    Options
    threaded aluminum spacers.

suspend the amp, facing up and allowing adequate air flow above it, using threaded aluminum spacers.

a threaded spacer is like a hollow tube but with screw threads inside. you can use lock-tite if u are afraid that the screw/bolts may run loose.

here's a pic courtesy audiworld.com:
    sub_box.jpg
  • catch22atplay
    catch22atplay Posts: 130
    edited September 2010
    Options
    A/D/S power plate amp it looks like. He's got the right idea there for mounting.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures
  • cruisedave
    edited September 2010
    Options
    tk421 wrote: »
    threaded aluminum spacers.

suspend the amp, facing up and allowing adequate air flow above it, using threaded aluminum spacers.

a threaded spacer is like a hollow tube but with screw threads inside. you can use lock-tite if u are afraid that the screw/bolts may run loose.

here's a pic courtesy audiworld.com:
    sub_box.jpg
    That looks great - where can I find those spacers???