SR sub and PA1200.1 question

Options
Vital
Vital Posts: 747
edited September 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, so i'm all set on buying PA1200.1 and one either 10'' or 12'' SR sub.

What confuses me is single and dual voice coils as well as 4omhs on subs while amp is 2ohms

While i've learned a lot in car audio OHM/dual/single/parraller... area is still an unknown to me.
Which one (dual or single) SR sub is better when is comes to being powered by PA1200.1 ??

Also, while we're at it - both SR10'' and SR12'' have the same rms/max specs. So having a speaker that pushes more air is really that much better??? I'm really not looking for a massage while driving, just want clear SOUND.
2008 Nissan Altima
Kenwood DNX 5140
Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
Post edited by Vital on

Comments

• chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm unsure what you're referring to, do you need a diagram on how subs should be wired in different configurations?

1 sub is more than enough, but with 2 subs you wouldn't need to push your amp too hard to achieve more spl. But more power is better per sub, this will increase detail and spl a bit. I prefer lower impedance driving a sub, since the pros out weights the cons imo (efficiency, heat, and etc).

Generally bigger subs digs in deeper than smaller subs (you will hear the lower notes much more prominently).
  • Ryan33
    Ryan33 Posts: 12
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Vital wrote: »
    Which one (dual or single) SR sub is better when is comes to being powered by PA1200.1 ??

I've been told, when wiring only 1 sub, it's better to get a DVC.
    Which is what i currently have.
  • chu
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Ryan33 wrote: »
    I've been told, when wiring only 1 sub, it's better to get a DVC.
    Which is what i currently have.

Yes, more wiring options.
  • Vital
    edited September 2010
    Options
    chu wrote: »
    I'm unsure what you're referring to, do you need a diagram on how subs should be wired in different configurations?

That would def help :)

I'd love to have 2 but I'm only getting 1 sub to have space in the trunk, be able to easily access spare tire AND have ability to fold my rear seats down to fit a few 2x4s thru the trunk and into a cabin of my sedan lol. That's in addition to 3 (well, maybe 2 if i woun't like rear fill) amps lol. So just 1 sub it is.

Here's where 10'' vs 12'' comes in:
    Keep in mind that one of my goals will be to have as much trunk space as possible which obviously leads me towards 10'' since it'll require smaller enclosure (while still delivering same 700W rms as 12'' sub)
    BUUUUT if benefits of 12'' outweight those few cu.ft. i'll save if i go with 10'' i'm sure i can sacrifice 0.35 cu. ft. differance. So really my quesion is - what ARE the benefits of 12'' vs 10''

p.s. it's actually a bit ridiculous how i'm trying to save space while using PA amps which are way to big for what they do compered to most other brand's amps haha.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • cruisedave
    cruisedave Posts: 11
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I'm pretty new to car audio, but wanted to reply to you, as I was in your exact position several months ago. I have a VW Jetta and I use the trunk a lot. I also didn't have the $$ to get everything I wanted right away, so I had to buy what I could now and plan ahead. I bought the SR124 12" DVC and have not regrretted it at all. I did do a lot of internet searching and ended up finding a lot of instruction on how to build a sealed box, which I did. I built the box to fit exactly up against my rear seats, and I was able to maximize (or minimize) the use of space there. The results, esp for my first time, have been phenominal.
    As for the SVC/DVC, it has allowed me the flexibility to use different amps and configurations. Right now it is wired for 4 ohms and is being powered off of my 500.4, but am about to wire it for 2 ohms and run it off my 1200.1 (I'm so excited).
    I love bass and if I were putting 2 subs in the trunk, I would have gone with smaller ones, but for me wanting to save space I went with 1 12"
    Hope that helps!
    -dave
  • chu
    edited September 2010
    Options
    That would def help :)

I'd love to have 2 but I'm only getting 1 sub to have space in the trunk, be able to easily access spare tire AND have ability to fold my rear seats down to fit a few 2x4s thru the trunk and into a cabin of my sedan lol. That's in addition to 3 (well, maybe 2 if i woun't like rear fill) amps lol. So just 1 sub it is.

Here's where 10'' vs 12'' comes in:
    Keep in mind that one of my goals will be to have as much trunk space as possible which obviously leads me towards 10'' since it'll require smaller enclosure (while still delivering same 700W rms as 12'' sub)
    BUUUUT if benefits of 12'' outweight those few cu.ft. i'll save if i go with 10'' i'm sure i can sacrifice 0.35 cu. ft. differance. So really my quesion is - what ARE the benefits of 12'' vs 10''

p.s. it's actually a bit ridiculous how i'm trying to save space while using PA amps which are way to big for what they do compered to most other brand's amps haha.

Subwoofer wiring diagram

The benefits of a 12 over a 10 is the cone area. More cone area allows a sub to hit lower notes much better, and you will hear lower notes much more prominently. You will be able to notice 20-30 hz much more so with a 12 vs a 10.
  • Vital
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Let me throw some more confusion in the mix lol:

So in my 10 vs 12 choices i went with 12'' for more cone area. BUT i'm not thinking of 2 10''s
    They are still small enought but i'll probably benefit more out of 10 since i don't listen to much rap or any bass-filled music. For me it's all about hard techno with lots of FAST kicks so 10'' will probably fit me better due to it's ability to move faster (less area to be moved, right??)

I will have Polk audio PA1200.1 mono amp powering either 2 10'' Polk SR subs or 1 12'' SR sub <here's where confusion comes in, read below>

Specs on amp (just in case lol):

400 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (800 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
    1,200 watts RMS x 1 at 1 ohm (1-ohm stable)

Specs on 10'' sub - SR104 and SR104-DVC:

10" subwoofer
    power range: 100-700 watts RMS (350 watts per coil)
    peak power handling: 1,400 watts
    frequency response: 25-200 Hz
    sensitivity: 84 dB
    Specs on 12'' sub - SR12

12" 4 ohm Signature Reference Series Subwoofer
    Power Handling:
    700 watts RMS
    1400 watts Peak
    Impedance: Dual 4 ohm
    Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 200 Hz
    Both subs come in two options - SVC and DVC.

Which combo would work best/loudest when powered by PA1200.1? 1 12'' or 2 10''?? I know it's a topci that is canstatnl;y brought up and theres no TRUE answer to it. I am also aware that both combos are good with that amp but which one will get me most wattage/volume out of this amp?? While i do understand how to wire both SVC and DVC i fail to see which will get me most volume.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • TakeTheTime
    TakeTheTime Posts: 249
    edited September 2010
    Options
    For me it's all about hard techno with lots of FAST kicks so 10'' will probably fit me better due to it's ability to move faster (less area to be moved, right??)

No, this is just a myth - you can make a 24" play as fast as a 10", it's all about the amplifier and cables...
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • Vital
    edited September 2010
    Options
    No, this is just a myth - you can make a 24" play as fast as a 10", it's all about the amplifier and cables...

So how is PA1200.1 come in this picture?
    Not sure what u mean by cables by i curently have 4G Rockford feeding my PA600.1 (that will be replaced by 1200.1) If i could i'll use the same cable, if not i'll get 0G
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • chu
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Let me throw some more confusion in the mix lol:

So in my 10 vs 12 choices i went with 12'' for more cone area. BUT i'm not thinking of 2 10''s
    They are still small enought but i'll probably benefit more out of 10 since i don't listen to much rap or any bass-filled music. For me it's all about hard techno with lots of FAST kicks so 10'' will probably fit me better due to it's ability to move faster (less area to be moved, right??)

I will have Polk audio PA1200.1 mono amp powering either 2 10'' Polk SR subs or 1 12'' SR sub <here's where confusion comes in, read below>

Specs on amp (just in case lol):

400 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (800 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
    1,200 watts RMS x 1 at 1 ohm (1-ohm stable)

Specs on 10'' sub - SR104 and SR104-DVC:

10" subwoofer
    power range: 100-700 watts RMS (350 watts per coil)
    peak power handling: 1,400 watts
    frequency response: 25-200 Hz
    sensitivity: 84 dB
    Specs on 12'' sub - SR12

12" 4 ohm Signature Reference Series Subwoofer
    Power Handling:
    700 watts RMS
    1400 watts Peak
    Impedance: Dual 4 ohm
    Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 200 Hz
    Both subs come in two options - SVC and DVC.

Which combo would work best/loudest when powered by PA1200.1? 1 12'' or 2 10''?? I know it's a topci that is canstatnl;y brought up and theres no TRUE answer to it. I am also aware that both combos are good with that amp but which one will get me most wattage/volume out of this amp?? While i do understand how to wire both SVC and DVC i fail to see which will get me most volume.

Go with the 12, I listen to all spectrum of edm and only edm: trance to gabber, dnb to schranz, house to hard dance, electro to fidget, and etc (mostly the hard stuff). And trust me, the sr1240 works wonders, too bad I can't fit one in my truck :(

Go with 1ohm, more power the better, but I do prefer running everything in high impedance (4ohm). The lowest rms to my sub was roughly 750, and it was plenty loud without overpowering my front stage.
  • Vital
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Go with the 12, I listen to all spectrum of edm and only edm: trance to gabber, dnb to schranz, house to hard dance, electro to fidget, and etc (mostly the hard stuff). And trust me, the sr1240 works wonders, too bad I can't fit one in my truck :(.

U just got a LOT of extra points in my book for even knowing what gabber is lol.
    That's the "hard techno" i was reffering to. I figured if i say "gabber" noone would have any clue what i'm talking about lol.
    Gabber/speedcore/hardstyle... is what i listen to, and d'n'b/dubstep sometimes.
    Go with 1ohm, more power the better, but I do prefer running everything in high impedance (4ohm). The lowest rms to my sub was roughly 750, and it was plenty loud without overpowering my front stage.

Can u draw up a diagram?? I'm not really folling how to power up 4ohm sub with 1ohm...
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • chu
    edited September 2010
    Options
    U just got a LOT of extra points in my book for even knowing what gabber is lol.
    That's the "hard techno" i was reffering to. I figured if i say "gabber" noone would have any clue what i'm talking about lol.
    Gabber/speedcore/hardstyle... is what i listen to, and d'n'b/dubstep sometimes.

Hardcore is fun, hardstyle is a bit too cheesy/progressive for me.
    Can u draw up a diagram?? I'm not really folling how to power up 4ohm sub with 1ohm...

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp