SR Tweeter Surface Mounting

Options
frosty2k
frosty2k Posts: 39
edited September 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, so I know what your thinking, but this isn't about what location is best for the billionth time.

I'm having problems getting the tweeters to mount where I want them to. They came with a four sided bracket for flush mount, and a two sided bracket for angle mount. The problem is that both of these brackets look like they need to be attached from the back of whatever surface they are being mounted to. i.e. if they are going into the door, I have to be able to access both sides of the panel, one to hold the tweeter, the other to screw in the bracket. My problem is that I'm putting mine in the dash, and there is no way I can even see the back of the tweeter, let alone get in there with a screwdriver. :( I managed to kind of wedge the angle mount with the two sided bracket into the snap down point for the OEM tweeter, but it makes the driver's side fire toward the passenger side. (I haven't had a chance to test the sq of this arrangement, as I have only just completed the driver's side, and am working on passenger side tonight, it may have some odd benefit.. driver side firing at passenger, passenger side firing at driver :confused:)

I don't like this lack of options. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way I can surface mount the tweeter. I was thinking of removing the bracket from the back and using some kind of double double sided tape around the edge of the angle mount just to make it so it doesn't jump out of the hole when I hit a bump.

Anyone else had success surface mounting SR tweets?
/////ALPINE INA-W900 HU
/////ALPINE PXA-H100 DSP
polkaudio SR5250
JL Audio HD600/4
polkaudio SR124DVC
JL Audio HD750/1

"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics!"
Post edited by frosty2k on

Comments

• Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited August 2010
    Options
    year, make and model of the vehicle please? This will help us determine the best method for you to mount your tweeters..
  • frosty2k
    frosty2k Posts: 39
    edited August 2010
    Options
    2006 Acura RSX 'Premium' ie no bose.

I got them in.... kinda.... or at least my dad did. He was playing around with them yesterday and did something with copper pipe for washers and it seems to fit.

I'd still use any other options other than the copper pipe washer solution.
    /////ALPINE INA-W900 HU
    /////ALPINE PXA-H100 DSP
    polkaudio SR5250
    JL Audio HD600/4
    polkaudio SR124DVC
    JL Audio HD750/1

"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics!"
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2010
    Options
    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-tutorials/53732-cheap-adjustable-easily-replaceable-tweeter-pods.html

Super easy way to custom build and mount some tweeters. Take your SR's into the store with you and test fit. The ones at Ace Hardware, the 1.5" caps, the tweets snapped right into place. You can mount these anywhere and best of all, when you want to remove them, you only have a 3/8" hole to cover up instead of a 2" hole.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited September 2010
    Options
    3M double-side automotive tape. the grey one.

or super glue.