Options
Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
edited June 2003 in Music & Movies
Rock and Roll Reminiscing

22 June 2003 --- Letters Of The Week are “X, Y and Z”

For what this is about and some guidelines please click on the following link:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7234

Yes, it’s a long post, but please read, if you participate.

This week we are only discussing artists whose last name, and groups whose name begin with the letter “X, Y, or Z”.

Note: The word “The” doesn’t count, so for example “The Allman Brothers Band” belongs in the "A's" discussion and not in the “T’s” (guideline #5).

When possible, please supply complete title, format, company, year and catalog number when posting recordings.

And so our 26, er, make that our 24-week odyssey concludes…

Hope you have enjoyed the ride… ;) I’ve had a blast…
smilie_x.gifsmilie_y.gifsmilie_z.gif
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Guys, I decided it was getting a little thin at the end of the old alphabet, so WTH let's wrap it up.

Let's limit posts to one artist per letter per day this week... Then go crazy on the leftovers this weekend.

I've had a blast...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2003
    Options
    OK...I'll start. This not only will be a review, but a bit of a tribute as well. Warren Zevon . As many of you may know Warren Zevon has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. HERE is a link.

Looking at the list of notable muscians that are willing to record on an artist's album is one way to guage how good that artist really is. If that holds true then Warren Zevon must be pretty good. A list of artist performing on his albums is quite remarkable:

Jackson Browne
    Lindsey Buckingham
    Don Henley
    David Lindley
    Stevie Nicks
    Bonnie Raitt
    Phil Everly
    Carl Wilson
    Glenn Frey
    J.D. Souther
    Karla Bonoff
    Linda Ronstadt
    Jennifer Warnes
    Mick Fleetwood
    John McVie
    Danny "Kootch" Kortchmar
    Russ Kunkel
    Joe Walsh
    Don Felder
    Graham Nash
    Neil Young
    Mike Mills
    George Clinton
    Michael Stipe
    Bill Berry
    Flea
    Brian Setzer
    Peter Buck
    Jerry Garcia
    Jorma Kaukonen
    Jack Casady
    Chick Corea
    David Gilmour
    Dwight Yoakam
    Bruce Hornsby
    Peter Asher

Three albums that stand out for me are:

Warren Zevon - 1976 - "Hasten Down The Wind", "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me", "Mohammed's Radio", "Join Me In L.A.", "Desperados Under the Eaves" and "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" are all very good cuts.

My favorite and probably his most sucessful album:

Excitable Boy - 1978 - Who can forget "Werewolves Of London"with lines like "I saw a werewolf drinkin' a pina colada at Trader Vic's....His hair was perfect"?

I also like "Johnny Strikes Up The Band", "Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner ","Excitable Boy" and "Lawyers, Guns and Money". A very good album and well worth a listen.

And finally...Transverse City - 1989 - I like this album because he goes back to his dark roots of Warren Zevon with songs like "Transverse City", "Run Straight Down", "Turbulence", "They Moved The Moon" and "Splendid Isolation"

Warren Zevon is a very talented and interesting muscian. I have enjoyed his music over the years and will miss his work when he is gone.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    edited June 2003
    Options
    FRANK ZAPPA

I don't own any of his stuff, but have enjoyed many of his songs over the years. Remember guys, "Don't you eat that yellow snow."
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited June 2003
    Options
    ZZ Top

Rio Grande Mud, Tres Hombres are my favorites.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Options
    A grand member of this forum turned me onto some good Zappa. Previously I had Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation, Joe's Garage, Reuben & the Jets. He turned me onto:

Hot Rats
    Waka/Jawaka
    The Grand Wazoo

These are all great. Hot Rats is one of my new all-time favorites. All have limited social commentary (vocals)and great heavy jazz jam sessions.

I've also bought Weesils Ripped my Flesh since then.

The Zombies!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I guess I need someone to point me towards 'essential' Zappa, what exactly I need to listen to.

From what I have heard, I just don't get it. It seems to me he should have made more of an effort to release 1 or 2 GOOD albums, instead of 40+ **** ones.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • shack
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Russ, I have to agree with you. I have listened to all of the "recommended" albums (ie:"Hot Rats", "Over-Nite Sensation", etc...) and I just don't like them...at all! Zappa was certainly a creative innovator but there is nothing there for me.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I expected GG to come along with at least a one page post by now.

I only own Rycodisc's Apostrophe'/ Overnight Sensation, 2 on 1 release. I like it, and think it is more accessible than the Zappa that hard core fans love, even though "Dirty Love " and "Dyna-Moe Humm" are definitely "hard-core".

But it's no Weasels Ripped My Flesh in the true fan's eyes... :)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• section19
    section19 Posts: 90
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I'll cast a vote for Frank Zappa as well. His music is definitely not for everyone. I still listen to him on a weekly basis, but I used to be a real Zappa freak and listen to his music almost exclusively. At the height of my record collecting obsession I owned 100 vinyl discs by him (that included bootlegs, double albums, triple albums, a ten record box set, etc.). Over the years I sold many of those records (wish I hadn't) but I still have probably about 20-25 of his albums (all on vinyl).

As I grew older I did seem to prefer his intrumental music over some of his songs with goofy lyrics. Lately I've been listening to "One Size Fits All".

I guess I arrived here just in time to help conclude this exercise in music appreciation. :D
    Denon AVR-1803
    Polk RM6700 w/ Infinity Entra Sub
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Neil Young!

I yield my space here concerning Neil to the "Creator" (tour) or anyone else who wants to take a shot.

Frankie Yankovic.

The king of Polka-Rock. Old Frankie could get down. My favorites include "Bar Room Polka" "Beer Barrel Polka" "Three Yanks Polka" and the most fun of all "Secretary Polka". Or was that "Polka Secretary"? Damn I can't remember. O.K. before you start blasting me, this is a Polk forum, so Polk-a seems to fit right in.

Frank Zappa. You guys are right you either like him or you don't. I sometimes manage to do both at the same time.

Well since the Creator wants to limit only one group per day I guess I have hit the limit. Will I be back with another later? YES. YES, I guess I will.

joe
  • section19
    section19 Posts: 90
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I'm off on a camping trip tomorrow so indulge me two choices today.

I'll second joe's pick of Ol' Neil Young. His albums may be a little inconsistent (I know, that's a matter of opinion) but his "Rust Never Sleeps" tour is still up there as one of the best live shows I've ever seen ('78, old Chicago Stadium).

L.A. punk rock/roots rock/hard rock group X is my last pick. I still love listening to their music and always felt they were unfairly catagorized. They were much more than just another L.A. hard core band.
    Denon AVR-1803
    Polk RM6700 w/ Infinity Entra Sub
  • shack
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Joe, Good to see you...where have you been? I assume from your post that you are gearing up to do a review of Yanni today. ;) I know it will be a fragile and close to the edge review. Can't wait!

I'll 3rd Neil Young. For his early stuff an excellent compilation is Decade - 1977 - 35 tracks of his best work up to 1976. Includes solo as well as CSN&Y and Buffalo Springfield. Most of the individual albums he made during this time are very good...especially Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - 1969, After The Goldrush - 1970 and Harvest - 1971.

Freedom 1989 - This is one of my favorite Neil Young albums. This is with his band Crazy Horse and they rock. Two cuts of "Rockin' In The Free World", "Crime in the City (Sixty to Zero, Pt. 1)", "Eldorado" and "No More" are all very strong cuts. A very dark rocker that is well worth a listen.

abmarsh, I agree that ZZ Top should be in any classic rock collection. Tres Hombres -1973 IS a classic. I know it ranks way up there with some of the most overplayed cuts in history but I still like "La Grange" with one of the most recognizable opening riffs in rock.

Another worthy contender (although it is definitely during their MTV lets make songs that will have sexy videos" stage) is Eliminator -1983 - This one is defintely geared to the visuals of the women and cars with cuts like "Legs", "Sharp Dressed Man" and "Gimme' All Your Lovin" ", but all-in-all it is still a pretty good album.

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Who can forget Yes?

Of course the classic Yes from the 70's:

The Yes Album (1971)
    Close to the Edge (1972)
    Fragile (1972)
    Relayer (1974)

And in my opinion their last decent release:

Big Generator (1987)

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • shack
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Doc, I wholheartedly agree with Yes. Lets not forget 90125 - 1983 - A very good album with a "come back" hit... "Owner Of A Lonely Heart"

IMO Fragile is their best. Close To The Edge has some excellent stuff but I think you have to be a fan to appreciate it due to the length of the tracks. I was on a golfing road trip yesterday and took these two with me. Fragile on the way and Close To The Edge coming back. I had not listened to these albums in a while and I thought that they might be a little dated. I was pleasantly was suprised at how much I still enjoyed the music.

• joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited June 2003
    Options
    shack.

I have been dealing with a variety of bummer stuff so have not had the time or the mindset to post. I have been looking in from time to time though.

I really thought you would cover Yanni. I figured you had most of his stuff.

Yes.
    Its just as well that you guys beat me to this group. Fragile! For some reason that is the only Yes album that I really liked. The others just did not do it for me.

ZZ Top. Gotta like those videos.

Where in the hell are all the polka fans? I figured my Frankie Yankovic post would have all you zany polka dudes coming out of the closet.

joe
  • abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited June 2003
    Options
    "Going For The One" is also one of my favorite Yes albums.:D
  • mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited June 2003
    Options
    XTC: A very creative band with several great cd's. I highly recommend Skylarking and Orange and Lemons. Also they
    did a fantastic cd called Chips from the chocolate fireball
    under the name the Dukes of Stratoshpear. If you're
    a fan of 60's phycedeila, check out the Dukes cd.
    Yardbirds: Clapton, Beck and Page all played for the Yardbirds,
    and they made some great music.
    Zombies: Odyssey and Oracle is one of the great 60's
    albums.
    Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505