Contacts!

2»

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Troy,
    Why would anyone want to stick their wild Australian dog in your...

Oh "dingus"... that's different... Nevermind.... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2003
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    In my trip down memory lane.....this is probably the worst I've ever gotten owned anywhere.....what, 16 years later and I still got nothing.

Funny stuff here....at my expense.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,972
    edited December 2019
    Lol... I have been on this forum to long......

I also grew not to like contacts and have stuck with glasses
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Agreed, Sid.....I'm still wearing glasses. Never could cozy up to the idea of sticking something in my eye.

As a side note.....selling glasses is a RACKET.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,972
    True that, the mark up on glasses is extremely high. 3 to 400% if not more
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    VR3 wrote: »
    True that, the mark up on glasses is extremely high. 3 to 400% if not more

Because 94% of them are owned by the Italian company luxottica. They also own many of the eyeglass places like Lens Crafters and eye insurance companies like Eye Med.
    They have the racket all tied up.
    They forced IIRC Oakley and Ray Ban almost out of business and then bought them for pennies on the dollar.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    Absolute best thing that I've ever done for myself is getting lasic surgery done some 17 years ago. Reaching for my glasses to see the alarm clock in the morning wasn't a fun way to start the day. Dropping a contact lense wasn't fun either nor was getting a speck of dust under that contact lense. It always amazed me how such a tiny spec of dust can cause so much misery. Stepping on my own glasses, losing them to the bottom of a lake and out a car window also made for a miserable day. The joys of being nearsighted lol.
    Do yourselves a favor guys check out lasic vision correction and get rid of those spectacles and contacts.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Absolute best thing that I've ever done for myself is getting lasic surgery done some 17 years ago. Reaching for my glasses to see the alarm clock in the morning wasn't a fun way to start the day. Dropping a contact lense wasn't fun either nor was getting a speck of dust under that contact lense. It always amazed me how such a tiny spec of dust can cause so much misery. Stepping on my own glasses, losing them to the bottom of a lake and out a car window also made for a miserable day. The joys of being nearsighted lol.
    Do yourselves a favor guys check out lasic vision correction and get rid of those spectacles and contacts.

Lasic only lasts so long. I had it done 10-12 years ago. Best $$ spent since I wore glasses since 2nd grade. Unfortunately at nearly 60 glasses are back....
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    Lasic only lasts so long. I had it done 10-12 years ago. Best $$ spent since I wore glasses since 2nd grade. Unfortunately at nearly 60 glasses are back....

I'm guessing you must mean +1 or 2 reading glasses for myopia. Yes there's no stopping the slow deterioration of the muscles that focus the eye. I have in depth bi-annual check ups by my ophthalmologist (I have glaucoma) and at 63 my eyesight is still fine even after all these years. The Dr. also mentioned early on that if hadn't told him I had the surgery done it would've been impossible for him to know it had been done. Sadly lasic cannot fix my glaucoma but it did fix my astigmatism that I didn't even know I had. To me going from 20-600 (legally blind as I could not see the big E) to 20/20 in a couple weeks was nothing short of amazing. I'm also betting there's been huge advances in lasic such as robotic surgery since we' had ours done over a decade ago.

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    edited December 2019
    Congrats!

I had contacts for 25 years as I was so blind that the coke bottle glasses I wore before were so heavy they gave me a headache. I also remember that the alarm clock was very hard to read from only 2 feet away I started wearing contacts in the 8th grade.

The only issue I had with contacts were I had dry eyes so my eye doctor sealed my lower tear ducts which helped with that issue. I had 20/15 vision with my contacts and also right after I had LASIK.

When I turned 50 in 2000 I got LASIK and have never looked back. My vision has faded a little bit as far as distance reading, but I don't need glasses yet. I do have to use reading glasses.

My Wife, son and daughter have had LASIK and all would do it again.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    TroyD wrote: »

As a side note.....selling glasses is a RACKET.

BDT

As an optician, I can tell you that you’re 100% wrong.

Yes, some places are rip offs, Lenscrafters, Visionworks, pretty much any major retailer. But a lot of private places are running a very honest business.

Yes, markup can seem high but we have to cover ALL costs by selling frames and lenses. Believe me, costs have gone up a lot over the years.

Like anything else, you can make glasses pretty much as expensive or as cheap as you want. Cost of high end glasses have gone up, but they are across the board significantly better than they have ever been.