Official SVS PB2-Plus Review Hotlink

Options
Dr. Spec
Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
edited July 2003 in Speakers
Here's the official review over at HTF if anyone is interested.

Doc

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?threadid=146561
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
Post edited by Dr. Spec on

Comments

• BRAD-TX
    BRAD-TX Posts: 25
    edited June 2003
    Options
    One hell of a thought out review doc, now if I only had the 1250 clams to pull the trigger on one I would. Very well done!
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Doc,
    Very professionally done write up! great job! So worthy of being published on Sound & Vision or similar magazines.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited June 2003
    Options
    wow i can't believe i read all of that, that was a very interesting very good review, well done! i can't wait until i get some new equipment so i can do a review :D
  • hank1105
    hank1105 Posts: 63
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Excellent review Doc.
    My 7.1 System:

Fronts: Polk RTi70's
    Center: Polk CSi40
    Surround Sides: Polk FXi50's
    Surround Backs: Polk RTi38's
    Sub: SVS PB1-ISD

Receiver: Sony STR-DA7ES

SAT Receiver: Sony SAT 200B
    HDTV: Panasonic CT-36HX42
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Excellent review Doc!

I was sitting here at work today pondering about what sub I would get, or build (when I can finally afford one). And I was wondering if you could tell any difference at all in the transient response, of either of your subs, at the different tuning points? Theoretically the 12hz and then 16hz tuning point should be the "fastest", correct? Can you hear a difference?

Just wondering. Thanks!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If you read the entire thread, I make a post later on regarding "fast" and "musical" bass, and I quote some authorities on the subject. I suggest you read this post.

The whole concept of what makes a subwoofer sound like an instrument instead of a speaker is extremely complicated and cannot be compartmentalized into one or two objective design criteria like transient response or group delay.

Anyway, I prefer the sound with all ports open "probably" more because it slightly emphasizes the 25-45 Hz region and makes the sounds (and harmonics thereof) of typical bass instruments slightly easier to hear and to follow than with a port plugged.

This doesn't make one tune necessarily better than the other - it's personal preference.

Anyway, I really can't answer your question, because I'm not confident I know the answer or if what you are asking about can even be heard.

I do know that plugging a port limits output at high volumes by about 2 dB, but even with a port plugged I can still easily hit 115-116 dB in my room.

BTW, I never ran my PC+ with a port plugged except for testing - no need - it already dug super deep in the stock tune.

Doc

SVS
  • tryrrthg
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If you read the entire thread, I make a post later on regarding "fast" and "musical" bass, and I quote some authorities on the subject. I suggest you read this post.
    I've read all of the thread. Are you referring to the part where you talk about room decay giving the impression of "slow" bass? Yeah, I agree with your points. And since I own the PSW450 I've never really heard really low bass. I heard a friends REL storm for a short time. It was great but way too pricey for my blood! I could almost have a B4+ for the money he paid. That's a no brainer!

I was just wondering if a few "theoretical" milliseconds of group delay could be detected on which tune woofer I picked. I'm not so concerned about high spl's...

The dual woofer design of the PB2 and B4 have me really intrigued because of their lower distortion. I can just hear that B4 calling my name! I'd be saving for 3 or 4 years to get that monster! Wonder how much I could get for a kidney? :D
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by tryrrthg
    I was just wondering if a few "theoretical" milliseconds of group delay could be detected on which tune woofer I picked. I'm not so concerned about high spl's...

The dual woofer design of the PB2 and B4 have me really intrigued because of their lower distortion.

Over the mid bass range, GD cannot be reliably detected below about 30 ms, and although it becomes significant with a vented enclosure at the tune point, the frequency is usually so low (near subsonic) even a large GD can't be detected.

Yes, more drivers equals less excursion equals lower TH and IM distortion. According to a professional tester's preliminary reports, the B4-Plus has such low distortion it must be cranked to ridiculous levels before THD even becomes somewhat significant and meaningful.

Doc

SVS
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Excellent Review indeed!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited June 2003
    Options
    hey Doc

I was wondering what you thought about HSU Research subs?

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • tryrrthg
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the info Doc. Looks like I'll just have be patient and keep saving my money! I guess it gives me more time to see what else SVS has up it's sleeves.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Lsi9
    hey Doc

I was wondering what you thought about HSU Research subs?

HSU has garnered nothing but professional praise for their subs, they have a loyal following, and certainly must be mentioned in the same breath as SVS when considering top bang for the buck OEM subwoofers.

HSU is always on my short list when I am asked to recommend a few different sub lines.

Doc

SVS
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Good to know. I feel the same. Thank you:)

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP