I dont get it....

souljurn
souljurn Posts: 14
edited June 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
....i always thought you should get an amp that comes closer to the RMS of the speaker/sub and now i read in polks web page that you should get it closer to the PEAK. which one is it? RMS or PEAK?
Post edited by souljurn on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    hmm...RMS...i think what polk is trying to say is that its better to get a bigger amp and turn the gain down so your power will be very clean instead of getting an amp thats rms power is the same as your speaker and pushing the amp to its limit
    but i dont agree that is should be closer to the peak rating
    im not going to buy a 2000 watt x1 rms amp for my 2 mm12s when together they can only handle 1000...thats just stupid...id have to disagree with polk on this one
    -Cody
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited June 2003
    I like to get an amp that's gonna be somewhere in the middle, but maybe leaning a little more toward the peak side. A lot of the good subs out there will handle close to their peak rating with little problems. Hell I'm running 470 watts a piece to a pair of IDQ 10's... (250 rms, 500 peak) and I've never had a problem with them. Even with the gain set roughly 2/3 on my amp. Like Cody said, it wouldn't be a good idea to buy a 1000 watt amp for a single momo 10, even though the peak is 1000 watts, since peak is just what the speaker could handle for a brief amount of time. But with a 500 rms, 1000 peak rating, you could get away with a 600 or 700 watt amp, and maybe even more, but you might not wanna push your luck.
    "The Big C"