Bluetooth head unit for music/phone

mdaudioguy
mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
edited October 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
My first post in the car audio section... yay! :)

I'm in the market for a replacement head unit and I'd like Bluetooth built in. Are any of these units optimized for hands-free phone use? Do any of them have a separate mic, or do they just rely on the phone to pick up your voice? I know they're all compatible with streaming music from my smartphone, but I'm also concerned about their functionality for phone use, since MD will be requiring hands-free soon. I have no experience with this. TIA.
Post edited by mdaudioguy on

Comments

• PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited August 2010
    The majority of them that are bluetooth ready do have a mic, but they are just average, some people have luck with the mic and some do not.
    If you are looking for a cheap one that does that Crutchfield I believe has the Clarion CZ500 on sale for 150 and KaosTsoc has one as well, that he could let go fro around 75-80.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • mdaudioguy
    edited August 2010
    Thanks. I've been looking at Crutchfield, since they include installation accessories and harnesses too. Well, I have to buy the harness, but plug and play makes it all easier. That, and I can get $50 Crutchfield cards for $40 from Discover Cashback!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2010
    whats your budget?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • mdaudioguy
    edited August 2010
    Mmm, probably in the 200's, if that will do it.

I have a 2009 Eclipse with the upgraded sound system. I was just looking at this:
    http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_613BT742U/Kenwood-KDC-BT742U.html?cc=01&tp=5684
    They also suggest this:
    Mitsubishi Amplifier Interface
    install a new stereo in 2006-up Mitsubishi vehicles while retaining use of the factory amplifier

* Your vehicle is factory-equipped with an upgraded sound system. We recommend that you purchase an adapter that will connect your new stereo to your amplified factory system.
    * Harness allows you to use the factory amp(s). In order to retain fading abilites, the new radio must have front and rear preamp outputs.
  • mdaudioguy
    edited August 2010
    A couple more questions, please:

Will an aftermarket HU still allow me to use my steering wheel-mounted audio controls?

Also, there's a separate LCD display in my car that shows some audio info, along with a clock and compass. Will the audio info still display here - station, source, etc...?
  • exalted512
    edited August 2010
    You will definitely lose the lcd display for the audio part. You will also lose the steering wheel controls unless you get the additional adapter.

Thats going to be pretty hard to do for under $200. In all honesty, I'd wait until next year. I'm willing to bet there's going to be more quality manufacturers making more BT units that are cheaper in price.

I would look to see how much the harness is going to be as well. Sometimes those things arent cheap.
    -Cody
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    You will not necessarily lose that audio display.
    You may have to buy a special adapter for your vehicle. I know my mother did for her Kia Soul....it needed an adapter that cost her as much as the receiver did but it still functioned.
    And yes, most of them do have steering wheel compatibility. If not, you can purchase the accessory.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • exalted512
    edited August 2010
    You will not necessarily lose that audio display.
    You may have to buy a special adapter for your vehicle. I know my mother did for her Kia Soul....it needed an adapter that cost her as much as the receiver did but it still functioned.
    And yes, most of them do have steering wheel compatibility. If not, you can purchase the accessory.

So the audio display on the Kia would still show what station and stuff was playing on the radio?
    -Cody
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    No, it is a different head unit. I bought one of those Kenwood Navigation systems for her.We had to buy an adapter so that it would work with a factory setup and still get sirius radio.
    I was not saying that it would work, I was simply saying that I had to buy an adapter and that adapter might let his other display work since it would be made for his vehicle. It is a possibility. Not guaranteeing it or anything...
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • exalted512
    edited August 2010
    Right. So you will lose the audio display. Everything else should still work with the adapter though.
    -Cody
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    Only way to tell. Anyway, most receiver display the audio anyway.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited August 2010
    mdaudioguy,
    I have a question? What kind of car do you have? Make, Model, year?? Does it all ready have stock premium audio system?

Thanks.
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
  • exalted512
    edited August 2010
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Mmm, probably in the 200's, if that will do it.

I have a 2009 Eclipse with the upgraded sound system. I was just looking at this:
    http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_613BT742U/Kenwood-KDC-BT742U.html?cc=01&tp=5684
    They also suggest this:
    KaosTsoc wrote: »
    mdaudioguy,
    I have a question? What kind of car do you have? Make, Model, year?? Does it all ready have stock premium audio system?

Thanks.
  • mdaudioguy
    edited August 2010
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited August 2010
    exalted512 wrote: »

Aww c'mon Cody, we got to let the noob's breathe.....and prove that they are such. :)
  • KaosTsoc
    edited August 2010
    Hey, Im just trying to help you out. I mean I might be able to find some kind of adaptor or interface that nobody here has seen of heard of that will still allow you to keep your lcd screen. But if this is a stupid question to you then so be it, i'm no mind reader. Oh well.... no worries. Late.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• exalted512
    edited August 2010
    KaosTsoc wrote: »
    i'm no mind reader. .

seems you're not much of any kind of reader.

j/k:p

I'm just bustin' your balls man. I'm sure he'd like all the advice he can get.
    -Cody
  • mdaudioguy
    edited August 2010
    I absolutely would like some advice. I appreciate anyone on this forum who offers help. Looking forward to seeing what you might be able to offer. I've only dabbled a little in car audio. Thanks. :)
  • PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    JVC Arsenal 815 check crutchfield for it....it has 6 channel 5 volts preamps. Bluetooth the works.
    5 volts will jump start your amp into turbo mode....
    Check that one out.....Alpine is very nice as well....the upper models anyway.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • KaosTsoc
    edited August 2010
    exalted512 wrote: »
    seems you're not much of any kind of reader.

j/k:p

I'm just bustin' your balls man. I'm sure he'd like all the advice he can get.
    -Cody

Your right I did not read all the way, and that's my fault. Thanks, and I know you were not joking at all. What you say at first is your true thought, so no need for sugar coating. I thank you any way for trying to sugar coat it, but no need. I dont ever sugar coat anything for anyone, I speak my mind. Not trying to start an argument, or anything else just saying. Thats just me.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• PerfectCreature
    edited August 2010
    In my era. We call that being Blunt.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • camel_89si
    camel_89si Posts: 43
    edited August 2010
    i've been shopping around for one also. been checking out the pioneer 6200bt, it's $219 at crutchfield. it's pretty solid lookin. and i like it cuz it's black w/ red lights to match my car but that's just a personal opinion.. i'll probably grab one soon. let you know how it works out...
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V863
    Center: PolkAudio CSi-A6
    Fronts: PolkAudio RTi-A1
    Surrounds: PolkAudio RTi-A1
    Subwoofer: Emotiva Ultra Sub 12
    TV: Toshiba 46" 1080p 120hz LCD
    Blu-Ray, DVD & Gaming: Playstation 3
    Logitech Harmony One Remote
  • mdaudioguy
    edited September 2010
    camel_89si wrote: »
    i've been shopping around for one also. been checking out the pioneer 6200bt, it's $219 at crutchfield. it's pretty solid lookin. and i like it cuz it's black w/ red lights to match my car but that's just a personal opinion.. i'll probably grab one soon. let you know how it works out...

Thanks!
  • mdaudioguy
    edited September 2010
    Thanks KaosTsoc for your help. Attached is a screenshot from the Mitsu webpage. Not great, but you can see the screen at the top, above the head unit. The top part displays the compass direction, time, and temperature. The bottom half displays info from the head unit - source (AM/FM, CD, SAT, etc...) and other info (station, track, volume, etc...).

When the radio is off, only the top part displays anything and the head unit info part is blank. I guess that's ok, really, but if it could still display the same info with an aftermarket unit, that would be nice - but not necessary, I guess.

I'm thinking of upping my budget and going with something like this:

h020NX500-o_mt3.jpeg
    or this:
    h130AViC920-o_other.jpeg
    lcd.jpg 34.3K
  • KaosTsoc
    edited September 2010
    I am still looking to see if I can find anything. I think that since your dash is different they may not make anything, but I have not given up yet. As for the two HU I would more than likely go with the Pioneer. I have not heard reall good things about the clairon touch screen. The touch screen does not really like to respond after a while, or at least that is what I read, and heard. Dont get me wrong I like clarion, just not there touch screens. Then again it may have been a fluke.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited September 2010
    I love pioneers!
  • KaosTsoc
    edited September 2010
    Not sure if you have found this as of yet. Here is the dash kit you will end up needing.

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1610

Wire harness's

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/619

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/620

The only thing I am still looking at is if you can still keep using the upper part of the dash, but I have a feeling that is going to go bye bye.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• mdaudioguy
    edited October 2010
    h130AViC920-o_other.jpeg
    So, after a long, drawn-out ordeal with two refurbished Kenwood DNX9140s (great HU, but not quite on speaking terms with my phone...), I ended up with this.^^^^

I decided to forget about the OEM information display (ignoring the E Com message for now), and probably bypass the weird factory amp (it powers the door speakers and the subwoofer.

Shopping for 4 x 6.5" speakers and a 4-channel amp for now, to be followed by a sub later.

I was looking at speakers at BB, and when I asked about an amp, the salesman told me I could just buy a $50 amp at Wal-Mart... and it would sound just as good as the $200 amps at BB. :confused: