crossin over 3.5's --- just bounce some opinions around

PoweredByDodge
PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
edited June 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
obviously i want the "presence" of the music up front...

keep in mind here my personal preference has been like a "rears at 1/2 volume of fronts" kind of thing...

due to the fact that 3.5's suck, i'm guessin its going to be more like "rears at 75% of fronts" -- or whatever...

but anyway -- any ideas on where to start with the crossing over for the fronts? -- amp has a built in 12 db/octave X variant point. I'm not adding anything else - just 3.5's in front and 6x9's in back -- same brand / series speaker and i think they're like 50 or 60 rms for the fronts and 100 rms for the rears -- (amp is 50 x 4 regulated power).

when i started thinkin about this i was thinkin 125 -- then i was like "eehhhh 150?" -- now i'm wondering if even that is ok... 175? 200?

i have no idea -- i really cant think of any logical way to go about this -- and my gut insticnt is knowing me, if i start at 100 i'll damage them in teh figuring it out process.

note -- the speaker "stops responding" at 90 hertz and down. ... good up to 32k i think.

note -- any opinions on balancing, where i should x rears, or anything are more than welcome -- i've never tried to mix a big **** rear speaker and a tiny front before... i dont normally like this kind of thing, but i'm stuck with it. -- prolly have the car done audio wise around late next week, so i can test any theories then.
The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
Post edited by PoweredByDodge on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    oh and get this shizzle -- the factory delco 3.5" jobbers that havent been hooked up in like 15 years are 10 ohm speakers.... who the hell uses a 10 ohm speaker?????????

i've never seen such horrible crap in my life... its got magnets that look like something sony would think was cool -- they're like squares... what is this wacky stuff!!!!!! at least they're not common ground for christ sake.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2003
    Personally, I learned a long time ago that the 3.5 inch GM speakers are junk and virtually every other 3.5 inch speaker out there isn't worth the time. But due to GM and thier astounding level of foresight, you're stuck. So I crossover 3.5's at no less than 2K and usually around 6K because a 3.5 inch speaker is not going to do any kind of bass at all.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • CPHILHOWER
    CPHILHOWER Posts: 343
    edited June 2003
    PBD, Here is a better idea. Use the 3.5 as a Midrange-Tweeter. Get a pair of 5.25 or 6.5 to use in the doors as the MidBass. Use on of those crossovers that are included with components.
    Just a thought.
    Chris
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    I don't think he wants to cut up the car and to do that, he would have to because there are no speakers in the doors.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    ya the doors are like this "fake leather" vinyl **** -- with carpet and woodgrain mixed in there -- its literally a nightmare to get them off and unless i have to replace a power window motor i dont intend to -- ever. ...lol.

i was hoping i could run the 3.5's down to like 200 hertz, but from what you're sayin john, i dont think its gonna be possible.

chris, i wish i could put 6.5" kicks in there but nobody wants to glass me up anything that'll get around the parking brake pedal for less than 700 / pair... and quite honestly, anything more than 200 would be a waste of money for me... i wont be in the car THAT much.

i'm kinda just lookin to get the best i can get out of stock locations.

on a good note -- i got the alarm system in today -- crimestopper gargoyle 2001--II

just your basic open the doors / bang on the glass the alarm goes off kinda thing -- starter kill, hood and trunk pins, that kinda thing... for 50 bucks or whatever it was i paid for it, its pretty good... and the parking light relay didn't burn out on this one!!! yay!!! ...lololol...

took me a few hrs but its all done so i'm hapy with that.

so u guys think i'm screwed on those 3.5's?
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    yeah i think youre kind of SOL
    id be looking on the internet for some high powered 3.5s..but i think thats a lost cause
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    You may be able to enlarge the holes and squeeze 4 inch speakers in there. Then I would fin s 4 inch component set and drive that. I would expect massive bass out of a 3.5 or 4 inch speaker though. Hell, I don't expect bass out of 5.25 inch speakers. They lack the displacement.

• PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    ehh fk it....

got the power lines / patch cables / speaker wires / remmy lines run today...

cut a 22 inch by 9 inch hole in the back deck for the subs to fire through.

installed rear 6x9's...

"altered" teh back deck grille cover with the two 6" grilles from my girl's subaru over the 6x9's, and a 6x9" grille over the 22" hole for the subs --- the factory grille stuff is thing cardboard so that 6x9 "port" for the subs will be fine me thinx. they're just gonna fire outa sealed box straight up into that.

looks pretty damn good so far -- was a holy nightmare getting hte back seat out and then in again though.