Just starting out

Options
Willow
Willow Posts: 10,916
edited August 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
We are tired of the crappy system in our vehicle. I don't want a boom boom machine. I want something I can enjoy and don't want to spend lots. Where do I start, what do I look for.

Thanks guys
Post edited by Willow on

Comments

• Roswellien
    Roswellien Posts: 28
    edited August 2010
    Options
    What make/model vehicle. Do you want to keep stock HU or after market. What price range for entire system?

Best place to start generally if you dont want to rip it all out and start from scratch is new door speakers.
  • Willow
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Roswellien wrote: »
    What make/model vehicle. Do you want to keep stock HU or after market. What price range for entire system?

Best place to start generally if you dont want to rip it all out and start from scratch is new door speakers.

It's a Nissan Xtrail (there is no US version of this SUV) an 06.

It's a very big unit in the truck as it houses a 6disk cdp and a tape deck. I guess I'd like to keep it under 500$ (for now) and I'd prefer not to have to add a sub (for now).

What should I be looking for when shopping for door speakers? are they hard to replace myself? We have 2 in thr front Dash 2 in the front doors and 2 in the rear doors (that is one in each door)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,751
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Dude, easy.

First find out what size your stock speakers are and then find ones that will fit.

For what you should be looking at, a very good start would be the Polk DB Series: http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/db/index.php

Or, for a bit above entry level, the Polk DXi Series which is new: http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/dxi/index.php

Then, instead of going with multiple amps, make your life easy and go with this pig:

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/pa/index.php#pa1100_5

As far as headunits, find one with features and looks you like and get it. Most recommended brands are Kenwood, Pioneer, Eclipse, Alpine. You really can't go wrong with any one of them. I will say thought that even from those companies, you get what you pay for and a cheap headunit will be a cheap headunit. That's your source so that's probably the place where you want to drop some coin.

Honestly though, find out what speakers will fit where and give a budget. I can give a much better answer with that info.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Ooops! Sorry, I didn't see your 2nd post, I had the post opened but didn't refresh it.

For $500, it's going to be hard to do external amplification of any quality. But if you want to stay that cheap, get yourself DB Series speakers and drop $300 or more of your budget on the headunit. That way when you want to upgrade in the future, your headunit will support what you are looking to move to. That's about the best recommendation I can give right now with that kind of budget constraint.

• Willow
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    Ooops! Sorry, I didn't see your 2nd post, I had the post opened but didn't refresh it.

For $500, it's going to be hard to do external amplification of any quality. But if you want to stay that cheap, get yourself DB Series speakers and drop $300 or more of your budget on the headunit. That way when you want to upgrade in the future, your headunit will support what you are looking to move to. That's about the best recommendation I can give right now with that kind of budget constraint.

Thank you. Will look into your suggestions.
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited August 2010
    Options
  • Willow
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Now....where to find PA car speakers in Canada as PA Direct ebay store doesn't ship up here.
  • mole'
    mole' Posts: 3,160
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    Now....where to find PA car speakers in Canada as PA Direct ebay store doesn't ship up here.

could you go to the nearest US city and get a P.O. Box and have them shipped there?
    mole'
  • Willow
    edited August 2010
    Options
    mole' wrote: »
    could you go to the nearest US city and get a P.O. Box and have them shipped there?

That is an option for sure. I'd have toi take out the old ones before crossing over that way I could slip in the new ones and avoid paying duty and taxes on the way back.
  • Willow
    edited August 2010
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I heard nothing.
    ;);)
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited August 2010
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I heard nothing.

You mean you read nothing :D.

My sisters family was based in Montreal for a long time. On several visits there, it was quite common to hear their friends talking about driving to Plattsburg for 'shopping'. Oh! and booze and ciggys are much cheaper at the Indian reservations that run along the border ;).
  • SivaNevets
    SivaNevets Posts: 303
    edited August 2010
    Options

not really
    check out this amazing product :D (im using the similar)
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13497_MB+Quart+DSC+450.html
    or the 480 for 50 dollar more.
    and get a pair of mm6501 + (sub/rear of ur choice)
    Front: Martinlogan ESL
    Center: Martinlogan Stage
    Rear: Martinlogan Motion 4
    Sub: Martinlogan Grotto-I
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC 1523K

PC 2 Channel: Polk LSI7
    Headset: Grado RS2 + Grado RA1 amp
    Mic: Neumann KMS605

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    MB Quart Onyx 4.60 (1/2 to components, 3/4 bridged to sub)
    Pioneer 8200BT HU
  • Jstas
    edited August 2010
    Options
    SivaNevets wrote: »
    not really
    check out this amazing product :D (im using the similar)
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13497_MB+Quart+DSC+450.html
    or the 480 for 50 dollar more.
    and get a pair of mm6501 + (sub/rear of ur choice)

Yeah, see, I think he wants to go with an authorized dealer so he can retain the factory warranty.

• TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    Check Crutchfield.ca
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yeah, see, I think he wants to go with an authorized dealer so he can retain the factory warranty.
    Humm, at that ridiculus price for the amp, he can start with this and put more dow for the Polk speakers and upgrade the amp later on as money allow if he doesn't particularly like it and IMHO he wouldn't have any reselling problem. Some kid would probably be willing to pay his original price back withouth any issues???
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • Jstas
    edited August 2010
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    Humm, at that ridiculus price for the amp, he can start with this and put more dow for the Polk speakers and upgrade the amp later on as money allow if he doesn't particularly like it and IMHO he wouldn't have any reselling problem. Some kid would probably be willing to pay his original price back withouth any issues???

Unauthorized dealers offering a dealer warranty on what is decidedly a downmarket amplifier that's been discontinued (I don't care if it says MB Quart on it not) is not a good choice for a novice. If he's doing his own install, buying from an authorized dealer will not only get him the full manufacturer's warranty but also manufacturer support. If the $89 amp breaks, the dealer is likely to find any loophole they can to get out of honoring the warranty and the manufacturer will charge a fair bit of cash for the repair. Often times it gets to 50% or more of the original, authorized, retail price. All of a sudden it's not such a bargain.

For a first timer, I'd go with an authorized dealer and get the manufacturer support.

I'm still maintaining that a higher end head unit with good features from a reputable manufacturer with the Polk DB series would be teh best way for him to go at this point. Then he can nickel and dime amplification and later, subs if he so chooses.

• SivaNevets
    edited August 2010
    Options
    actually on the amp i bought, sonicelectornix claims they r the authurozied internet dealer

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23877_MB+Quart+ONX4.60.html

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    Pioneer 8200BT HU
  • SivaNevets
    edited August 2010
    Options
    wasnt aware that your canadian. i did my install at futureshop, their skill is pretty decent plus u get 20 years warranty.
    crutchfield.ca had mm6501 on sale for $200 two month ago which i missed.
    i bought speakers,subs and amps and amp kit from sonicelectronix.com, couldnt resist the price, took about 1 week to get here.

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    Pioneer 8200BT HU
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I'm still maintaining that a higher end head unit with good features from a reputable manufacturer with the Polk DB series would be teh best way for him to go at this point. Then he can nickel and dime amplification and later, subs if he so chooses.

Bingo. The two most important parts of your sound chain are the hu and of course your speakers. I would go with a nice $ 350 hu like John mentioned( look for one with a 4-5v signal, dsp like TA, 5-7 band parametric eq, ability to set a 3 way network etc etc), get the db's for another $ 150 and maybe snag a used amp for a $100. Or you can do a bnib amp as step 2 down the line.