The right amp

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited July 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
If you bridge a 2 channel amp is it as good as buying a mono amp?

The reason is I have one 10" Momo sub and I got a Hifonics zx4000 amplifier. I also have the mm6 components. Right now I only have the mm6's hooked up (through a Kenwood KAC6201).
I think the kenwood runs 60 watts X 2 to the components. They sound pretty good but I wanted to add a little bit of kick so I got the sub. But the Hifonics amp, I thought ran 100X2 or 400X1 (@4ohms) so I thought if I ran it in bridged mode it would be good, but in the owners manual it says it runs 320X1 (all the websites I checked said it was 400 watts X 1) Which figure is accurate, do companies claim less power or do these sites claim more power. I want everything to sound as good as possible, so if this amp isn't good enough I was thinking I could use it to replace the Kenwood (to give the mm6's more power) and get another HIfonics amp to run the sub that is more powerful (and matches). I don't want to have to buy more then one more amp, and only if I have to. So basically what do you reccomend?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    that amp probably does 400 or more...good companies underrate their amps...bad companies overrate...and hifonics is a damn good company
    but if i were you i would go ahead and buy another amp for your sub and put the 100x2 amp on your mm6...i have something like 150-175 watts going to my components
    recommended is like 125 so youre underpowering your front speakers
    look for an amp that does 500-600 watts x1 @ 4 ohms
    that will be your best bet...i have a little over 600 im running to my 2 mm12s
    as for mono amps or 2 channel amps...its just as good...but 2 channels usually cost more
    example from an old cructhfield magazine
    Rockford Fosgate 1000.2 (2 channel amp)
    specs:
    1000 x 1 @ 2 ohms
    $1029
    RF bd1000.1 (mono)
    1000 x 1 @ 2 ohms
    $699
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2003
    Here you go:

Hifonics Thor Amplifier

Does 500 x 1 into 4 ohms. That would be good solid power for you and won't break the bank too bad. It's go well with your other Hifonics amp too. The amp I linked to is last year's model but you can probably find a new model of Thor out there. Solid specs and part of the Zeus line which includes the massive Colossus which will do 2400 x 1 into 2 ohms and that's a bridged 2 ohms too! Astounding power! The Thor uses the same power supply as all the other Zeus amps and with that kind of power backing them, they are solid, clean amps garaunteed to be underated. But overpowering a speaker with good, clean power will be much less damaging than under powering a speaker with dirty power.

BTW, Colossus is way too much power for your sub. At 2400 watts, you'd be firing that cone across the car.

Another option is this XI Hercules Mono Amplifier rated at 500 watts x 1 into 4 ohms. More clean power and bit less than the Thor amp mentioned above.

If your budget is hurting though, this here Cyclops amplifier is also mono and rated at 400 watts x 1 into 4 ohms. Both of these mono amps I mentioned are 1 ohm stable too and capable of power output north of 1000 watts at 1 ohm. So they can defintly handle whatever you are going to throw at them.

Just some suggestions.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    Thanks. I'll look to see what deals I can find for the Hercules or Thor. That colossus is a bad dude though.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2003
    I don't think you will be able to find a much better deal tha carstereotime.com but if you do, let us know. Cheap audio resources are always nice to have!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    if youre going to go through carstereotime you might as well go through ebay...carstereotime doesnt come with a manufactures warranty...found that out the hard way
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    ike sound has decent prices on hifonics amps.i picked up a z6000
    for $225
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited July 2003
    I took out the Kenwood and replaced it with the Hifonics. The MOMO components sound awsome, they sounded good before but now they rock. I'll definatley get another Hifonics for the sub in the next month or so.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing