Sub high/low pass settings?

Options
I am hooking up my Velodyne CHT 12" and would like to know what I should set the low and high pass settings on the sub at and what I should set my reciever's crossover at?On the sub I have a choice of 80 or 100 Hz for the high pass and low pass is variable from 40 to 120Hz.Also on reciever I have a choice of 40 or 60Hz crossover in DD/DTS.Also should the volume at the sub be at about half?As of right now I don't have SPL meter but am going to purchase one soon!There is a setting on the sub for subwoofer direct/internal crossover,I'm going to connect the sub to my reciever's sub out connector with sub cable.I assume this means I use the sub direct position?
  1. RTi 70
  2. CSi 40
  3. r30
  4. r15
  5. Velodyne 12" sub
  6. H/K AVR520
  7. PS3
  8. Xbox 360
  9. Bell HD satellite 6100
  10. Samsung 4665 HDTV
Post edited by Digital Daddy on

Comments

• GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Okay, so you're connecting your sub w/ a sub cable:

1. It doesn't matter what you select for high pass- that's only if you have speakers connected to the sub.

2. if you have your sub in Direct mode (which you want) then, what you set the low pass crossoever doesn't matter as well, because it's just bypassing that.

3. The crossover on your reciever is really the only one that matters now, If you have to choose between 40 and 60, I'd probably choose 60, as 40 is relly low to cross a sub over. But hey- go with what sounds best.

4. set the volume to wherever you need it so that you have strong bass, but it still balances and blends with your front speakers.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Digital Daddy
    Digital Daddy Posts: 36
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the reply,Does everyone agree with this?
    1. RTi 70
    2. CSi 40
    3. r30
    4. r15
    5. Velodyne 12" sub
    6. H/K AVR520
    7. PS3
    8. Xbox 360
    9. Bell HD satellite 6100
    10. Samsung 4665 HDTV
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by GuitarheadCA
    2. if you have your sub in Direct mode (which you want) then, what you set the low pass crossoever doesn't matter as well, because it's just bypassing that.

3. The crossover on your reciever is really the only one that matters now, If you have to choose between 40 and 60, I'd probably choose 60, as 40 is relly low to cross a sub over. But hey- go with what sounds best.

If you go lower than 80, your AVR will lop off the top of the LFE channel, as it probably combines the LFE channel with the bass management circuit and will low pass it along with the surround bass.

This article is a good read on the subject. The LFE channel only has strong content up to 80 Hz most of the time, even though in theory it can go to 120 Hz.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_3/feature-article-multiple-crossovers-9-2002.html

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS