About the new MM124's ...

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Has anyone ever experienced any problems with the new MM124's? Has anyone had their wires blown off as the MM120's always had a problem with? Thanks for your input.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    they had a problem with the speakers hitting the grilles but they had a major recall and gave everyone new subs and they havent had any problems with the leads coming off
    i have 2 and theyre great
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    for a buck-fiddy each ebay new in box you cant go wrong dude -- i'd be pimpin that... and nothin besides that surround thing cody mentioned already that's gone wrong w/ em... so i'd say they've got all the bugs worked out :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2003
    The recall was not due to the grill hitting the surround. That's what everybody thought at first. Actually, the cone was seperating from the spider due to glue failure. The manufacturing facillity was testing them before the glue had time to cure. The fix was two beads of glue (one on the inside and one on the outside of the joint) and they let the glue cure fully.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    I should have been recalled many years ago -- I've got a defective brain.:)
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    Cool, thanks for the info guys. If after I solder my MM120 back together and it still breaks apart, I may consider just buying the MM124 box set.

Would you guys recommend getting the box set or buying a 3rd party box? If so, what brands do you recommend? I currently have an OBCON and it's worked great so far.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited June 2003
    Obcon makes a nice box from what I've seen. I personally like to have my boxes custom made for me. Usually costs around $150 to have a local shop build a box. I did see one of those Obcon boxes that have the steel walls... anyway, it had two 12" Type R's in there and hit 155.something at a local competition off an old Lanzar Opti 50c.
    The only prefab box I've ever owned is SubZone. They make a really basic but excellent quality box in my opinion. I paid $75 for my truck box from thezeb.com including shipping about a year ago, and I'm still using that box today. Just make sure the box is at least 3/4" MDF...(you don't want plywood like some of those prefabs are made of)... and make sure it's the right size for what the subs require. I had a box that was roughly .60 cubic feet with my old Alpine Type S subs in there... (required .66 each I believe), and it sounded like the subs were choking... lol.
    "The Big C"
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    hey id go with the box that comes with it...looks really cool...the only thing i would do to it is take the fiberglass and put a mirror at the bottom to cover up the features and specs at the bottom...i dont think that looks good but a mirror would look sweet
    yeah but if you do go with the custom box dont go q-logic...they suck
    JL has nice custom boxes...but JL is overpriced
    i got my box that goes under my back seat in my truck custom fit to .88ft^3 for like $120 with 3/4"MDF
    its solid too
    good box
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    *handing over saw, brad nailer, drill, screws, silicone, liquid nails, mdf, cabinet grade plywood, foam gaskets, and other misc *****

ok.... now pick your weapons of choice and build a box son :)