SVS PB2-Plus In The House

2»

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    I knew that deep inside you beat the heart of a fellow empiricist...

But is not, and hopefully will not be, my situation, so we need a volunteer from the audience...

Anybody? Bueller? Anybody?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    I'll miss the cylinder, but many people like the box look more. This is no small sub though. My pics don't really show the depth of it - it's almost 3 feet deep. Once in place though, it really isn't overwhelming at all. It has quite modern design cues.
    So my my Polk PSW1200 would look like a little 250 next to that beast? Realizing that anything else in Polk's line will be lacking overall, do you have any idea how the Polk 1200 and the PS2 would compare?

Also, I'd be interested in other pics of your sub. Namely from the side to give us a profile, and also from more of a ground level. It looks like they power ported the thing just like the PSW1200 with the elevated legs etc., a look that actually drew me to the PSW1200 in the first place. Basic, black, plain boxes don' really do it for me.......there's gotta be an element of style to it so it doesn't look so bland, ya know?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by brettw22
    So my my Polk PSW1200 would look like a little 250 next to that beast? Realizing that anything else in Polk's line will be lacking overall, do you have any idea how the Polk 1200 and the PS2 would compare?

Also, I'd be interested in other pics of your sub. Namely from the side to give us a profile, and also from more of a ground level. It looks like they power ported the thing just like the PSW1200 with the elevated legs etc., a look that actually drew me to the PSW1200 in the first place. Basic, black, plain boxes don' really do it for me.......there's gotta be an element of style to it so it doesn't look so bland, ya know?

This guy did it far better than I could. Why reinvent the wheel?

http://www.gulkis.org/pb2/

The finish is far less glossy than is shown in the pictures; the flash had that effect. Look at those humongous ports; they flare to nearly 6" diameter both inside and out!

I have never heard or tested a PSW1200. But if I recall it packs about 350 watts and two 12" Polk/Momo car woofers. I don't know how much vent space it has, or what the tune point is.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited June 2003
    So if this thing is ported out the back with the 3 ports, why have it sitting on the stilted feet......or is there a port out of the bottom that would resemble a power port? Just curious..........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,523
    edited June 2003
    Because its downfiring...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited June 2003
    Ed,

JUST read this thread. Congrats on the sub! Saying I envy you on this one would be a HUGE understatement. Here I am just trying to scrape up the cash for the 20-39 PCi. I think my 2500 ft3 room would be perfect for that one, based on your feedback and my budget.

KB
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Doc, you mean that's not you standing by the crate?
    :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by brettw22
    So if this thing is ported out the back with the 3 ports, why have it sitting on the stilted feet......or is there a port out of the bottom that would resemble a power port? Just curious..........

Yep, Sid nailed that one.

The PSW1200 is side firing with a downward firing port.

The PB2+ is downward firing with rear firng ports. The downward firing design uses the weight of the beast to work against the reactive forces of the drivers to help prevent the sub from walking around during extreme playback levels.

Doc

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by kberg
    Ed,

JUST read this thread. Congrats on the sub! Saying I envy you on this one would be a HUGE understatement. Here I am just trying to scrape up the cash for the 20-39 PCi. I think my 2500 ft3 room would be perfect for that one, based on your feedback and my budget.

KB

Kev, at your reported playback volumes, the 20-39PCi will be just fine in your room. Unless you want to knock stuff off the walls, no sane person needs a PB2+ in a 2000-2500 ft3 room. I just couldn't resist, being the SVS fanatic I am.

With that said, it sounds superb at all volumes. Its performance on music is astonishing. I have a concrete floor which really helps though; I detest wood floors with open space below for any subwoofer application - the boominess is intolerable for me anyway.

Doc

SVS
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Doc, you mean that's not you standing by the crate?
    :D

Yeah, that's me - all 6'2"!!:D

SVS
  • kberg
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    Kev, at your reported playback volumes, the 20-39PCi will be just fine in your room. Unless you want to knock stuff off the walls, no sane person needs a PB2+ in a 2000-2500 ft3 room. I just couldn't resist, being the SVS fanatic I am.

With that said, it sounds superb at all volumes. Its performance on music is astonishing. I have a concrete floor which really helps though; I detest wood floors with open space below for any subwoofer application - the boominess is intolerable for me anyway.

Doc

Thanks. Although the 20-39 PCi-Plus is about $225 more than the 20-39 PCi, do you think there would be a noticeable/worth-the-extra-cost difference in performance between these two subs in my 2,500 ft3 room with playback at about 15 dB below reference? Basically, I'm just wondering if the extra 205w of power of the 20-39 PCi-Plus would make a big difference in my room, even though it costs quite a bit more. Also, I noticed that that 20-39 PCi-Plus has Gain and SS filter controls - how would that influence the difference in performance between it and the 20-39 PCi in my room?

I know I said I was leaning toward the 20-39 PCi because of the price/performance issue, but the 20-39 PCi-Plus still interests me, even though I'd have to have to wait quite a bit longer to get it.

One thing that may interest you that may also be important - I don't need things falling off the mantle over the fireplace, but as close as possible to it! :)

Looking forward to your reply.

KB
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
  • Dr. Spec
    edited June 2003
    The PC-Plus (not PCi-Plus) is a considerably more potent sub than the PCi.

For the price difference you get:

1) A much more capable woofer with about 5-6 dB more max output capability below 30 Hz.

2) A more powerful amp.

3) Tri-Ports with tuning capability.

4) An infinitely variable (0-180) phase control.

5) A 4 position SS filter.

For me the PC+ was a no-brainer; it has nearly twice the performance of a PCi for 1/3 the price increase. It's a fabulous performer and incredibly capable. Unless you are looking for true Dolby Reference Level playback capability (i.e., the occasional 120 dB peak), then a PC+ is all you will EVER need in a subwoofer.

Doc

SVS
  • kberg
    edited June 2003
    Oops on the 20-39 "PCi-Plus" reference, but I know you knew what I meant. As always, thanks for the advice.