Little feat - waiting for columbus (numbered limited edition gold cd)

Options
2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Skip, the release date for the gold CD is AUGUST 2010*
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Thanks very much, Jesse.

Eric Clapton - Blues (must have) (ALREADY HAVE & IT'S TERRIFIC!)
    Crossroads Vol. 2 (4 cd set) (must have)
    Unplugged (live set) (ALREADY HAVE & IT'S TERRIFIC!)
    Layla (all time classic)
    461 Ocean Boulevard (recorded after he kicked heroin, a classic) (ALREADY HAVE & IT'S TERRIFIC!)

I'll be sure to get the other recommends. Thanks again. By the way, do you have JJ Cale & Eric Clapton, The Road to Escondido? Out-stinkin'-standing!
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • F1nut
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You know, I was going to mention that one, but thought maybe what I listed was enough for now. Yes, it is excellent.

Another one that I like is Riding with the King.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Hah! I was going to mention Riding w/the King as well! Dynamite!

Thanks again.

BTW, if you've got other artists that are similar to this kind of music, anything would be appreciated.
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • F1nut
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Ok, these are some of my favorites. The music is excellent and the recordings are stellar.

Robert Lucas - Luke and the Locomotives (on JVC XRCD2)
    George Faber - Blues (on sale at Music Direct)
    George Faber - It Beats Workin' (on Pope Music gold CD, hard to find)

President of Club Polk

• skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Just curious Jesse, do you like Claptons "Pilgrim"? I wish MOFI would do Little Feat's "Down on the Farm" too. That's probably my favorite Little Feat album. Lowell George's first solo album after leaving Feat is good too.
  • F1nut
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Skip, no I don't. I'll add it to my list. :)

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited August 2010
    Options
    It seems that Waiting for Columbus has been pushed back a few more weeks.
    MID-SEPTEMBER 2010*

Oh well, after waiting for over a year, what's a few more weeks.

President of Club Polk

• 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    edited August 2010
    Options
    As soon as I sign off here, I'm placing my order. Great album and a must for anyone who likes music.
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Ships today, boys and girls.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited September 2010
    Options
    My copy, number 221, arrived today and I just finished listening to both discs. HOLY SHITE!!! The overall sound is crystal clear and very smooth. The bass is thunderous, yet tight. Maybe best of all, it's highly crankable. I thought I was back at Lisner again....minus the Thai stick and massive quantities of blow, of course. :D

Get your copy while you can.

President of Club Polk

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    My copy, number 221, arrived today and I just finished listening to both discs. HOLY SHITE!!! The overall sound is crystal clear and very smooth. The bass is thunderous, yet tight. Maybe best of all, it's highly crankable. I thought I was back at Lisner again....minus the Thai stick and massive quantities of blow, of course. :D

Get your copy while you can.

I would love to take a listen, but can you have the Thai sticks with meat on them for appetizers? Hold the cat & dog meat and the blow!:D
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I have no idea what took me so damned long to order this but.....order in! This is my all-time favorite album that I have enjoyed since my youth thousands of times. I remember coming home from school as a young lad and playing the entire concert everyday for what seemed like months. Never did get tired of it and to this day, I still enjoy the hell out of sitting down in the sweet spot and listening to the whole thing without interruption and at concert levels.

My parents were lucky enough to attend this concert, seated in row 3. Lucky dogs. I might order me a second one "just in case". I must have 3 or 4 different versions of this on CD and 2 on LP. Yeah, you could say I'm a fan. :biggrin:
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I believe my copy was limited edition copy #5,000,000.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,068
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I hope they did not leave out Don't Bogart that Joint and A Apolictical Blues like on the Cd release I bought back in the 90's It even says these tracks have been omitted so as to facilitate A single- priced compact disc, I wished I had known that before my purchase, the friggin CD was not complete without those two. I will purchase this if those are on the new release. I highly recomend the 4 disc set Little Feat Hotcakes & Outtakes all the Feat you need along with Waiting For Columbus.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Those two great songs are both on this one. Pissed me off when I first found that out too. The other songs that were played at the concert still aren't on it, though. The only CD I have found them on is #8122-78274-2.

Here ya' go... http://www.mofi.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=187
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Here's a link to the extended version of WFC that I was talking about. It includes 10 more outtakes...

http://www.discogs.com/Little-Feat-Waiting-For-Columbus-Live/release/1421023

Only 1 for sale, so if you want it? Hurry.
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Options
    *Jumps up and down* :biggrin:

Guess what came in the mail today? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!! :cool:
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Well, I am both excited and disappointed with this disc. Everything about it is better and I do mean in a good way. The audience is incredible and it really does make you feel as if you are there enjoying the concert that night. My main gripe is that while they did an incredible job of separating the instruments and offering more detail and texture, they goofed in my opinion with the bass guitar.

Oh, it's 10 times better than all of the other copies I have of this album but damn. It seems as if when they spliced it all back together, they put the bass guitar track in at 3db higher than the rest of the playing field. No matter where you are in the recording or how many instruments are playing, you can clearly tell what the bass guitarist is doing. Great for low level listening but this is not how I like to experience this concert.

When I crank it up, the bass guitarist is so prominent that it becomes annoying. Not really what I was expecting. Overall I would rate this at a ten out of ten but with the bass guitarist being so much more prominent than the rest of the playing field, I have to drop it down to a 7 out of ten. Very disappointing. I'm sure it would sound excellent on a pair of bookies.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Considering that all of the previous versions were severely lacking in the bass department, this one sounds right to me. Give it another listen when the MIT's arrive.

President of Club Polk

• TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Something isn't right, Tom. I don't find it bass heavy at all.....?
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • treitz3
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Not the bass Gary, the bassist. Only the bass guitar. This is with the subs on or off. I have tens of thousands of other songs at my disposal and none of those are like this unless it was purposely recorded that way. If I listen to the concert at 8:00 to 8:30 on the volume dial, it sounds great pretty much across the spectrum. It's when I go to concert levels with the volume that the bassist becomes so prominent.

Yes, the original versions and subsequent versions are a little lacking in the bass department and they did do an incredible job with the bassists reproduction in this recording. It's tight, stellar impact and reverb, you can hear things with it that you had not heard before, even on the vinyl [that I can remember, been a while since I had the vinyl rig hooked up]. It is authoritative, well placed on the sound stage, offers plenty of texture and is not bloated, over pondering or annoying in overall sound at all. In fact, the bassist sounds incredible by itself. It just isn't balanced in volume with the rest of the instruments or singers. It actually overpowers the drums in many spots and at higher levels becomes annoying because you hear that predominantly over everything else.

Jesse, the MIT's should be here tomorrow and admittedly I am curious to see what they hold in store for the rig altogether but I would be real surprised if they made the bassist more balanced with the rest of the goings on with this album. We'll see. More when they arrive and set up. This will be the first thing I listen too and I will offer my observations when I am done listening.
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I had a listen to this again. I can see where you're coming from, but it goes away when I play it WITHOUT Sonic Holography. Were you using SH? Could also be room related....resonance?
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer