Adaptation

Options
Dr. Sound
Dr. Sound Posts: 14
edited July 2003 in Music & Movies
What a fantastic movie. Director and Personal Aquaintance Spike Jonze did a great job on this movie. I can't say I'm a big fan of Nicholas Cage's acting abilities, but he and his "twin" really nailed it.

I'm not a big fan of Meryl Streep's works in the past either, but again, if you watch the movie you'll see how fantasic of a job she can do.

This movie is so intricate and it flows together perfectly. It's a totally great comedy if you enjoy the comedy that makes you laugh and think at the same time. It's not going to be like American Pie or any other in your face comedy, but I think it's what makes it great.

The soundtrack is decent and is in DTS...so you can't argue with that. There aren't a lot of special effects or anything, but there are certain scenes where it's good to have it!

Ron Livingston (Peter, Office Space) makes a hilarious 1 - 2 minute appearance in the film and if your a fan of his it only makes you love this movie more. Ron is just purely comedic from my point of view and seeing him in Band Of Brothers was just too odd. I guess he fit the role he was playing in that series well, but I just had a hard time taking him seriously.
drsound-title.gif
Post edited by Dr. Sound on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Have to disagree, This movie stunk!! personal opinion, Me and my wife could hardly stomach the idiocey (sp) of this movie, infact we skimmed through half the movie and ended up watching the first and last half hour of this terrible movie.. I think they make nick cage out to be an idiot.. I like his movies and just hated him and his twin in this masacure of a movie. I like just about every movie i rent or buy.. im not real super picky, long as thier is plenty of either action, impact, drama,horror or a good plot to follow.. this review in no way inpacts the above poster.. different strokes but "we" hated it.. sorry better luck next time Nick cage
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I liked this one quite a bit as well, but I would not buy it. Saw it in the theater. Very off-beat movie from a very off-beat director. Loved the way it fit in with the making of Being John Malcovich. It's one of thosse "if you liked that then" movies.

I have been a Cage fan since Valley Girl, a true guilty pleasure of a movie. Also laughed the other day when noticed for the first time that he had a bit part in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Sound
    edited June 2003
    Options
    As I said if you don't like movies where you actually have to use your brain, don't watch this!

There is actually quite a nice plot to the movie, and while I'd respect your comments I can't. The reason I can't is because you didn't even watch the movie. You can't comment on something you didn't actually put the effort into watching. Skimming through and saying it has no plot is sheer idiocy.

So no, I'm not coming down on your post for disagreeing with me. I know not everyone will like this movie, but the comments you make don't make any sense based on what you told us.

It's refreshing when a Director actually does something different with a movie rather than the same damn predictable crap over and over. Special effects only go so far in saving action movies that are dying of a lack of depth.

This movie isn't weird like Pulp Fiction or Muholland Dr.....It's easy to follow, but the best humor is hidden.
    drsound-title.gif
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Dr. S,

Sorry did not even notice you are a newbie, at a quick glance I thought this was a thread by longtime member, Dr. Spec...

So let me be the first to welcome you.

Also realized that we both slighted Chris Cooper's Academy Award Winning work in this movie. I've liked Chris for a long time and it was good to see him earn the nod. To me he was the best thing in the movie... great piece of acting.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Dr. Sound
    As I said if you don't like movies where you actually have to use your brain, don't watch this!

Can't agree with you here, since the above statement suggests that if you like to watch "brainy" movies, one might inherently like this one. I like brainy movies, but I didn't like this one, if you call it brainy. 2001: A Space Odyssey, is one of my all time favorites, and if THAT one isn't brainy, what is?!

There is actually quite a nice plot to the movie, and while I'd respect your comments I can't. The reason I can't is because you didn't even watch the movie. You can't comment on something you didn't actually put the effort into watching. Skimming through and saying it has no plot is sheer idiocy.

Well, I for one happen to agree with faster - I watched the whole movie, and didn't care for it.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by kberg

I'm glad someone agree's with me, It was terrible, Great acting?? great plot?? come on it sucked!!

and to say someone needs to use thier brain to watch and like this movie is uncalled for, so assuming if i didn't like the movie im not smart and intellectual (sp)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    if i didn't like the movie im not smart and intellectual (sp)
    :lol: ... well at least you're funny... nothing personal faster, but the "(sp)" at the end did make me lol...

Look the movie was not an IQ test. But compared to most comedies, e.g., American Pie, Dumb and Dumber, etc., it was "smart". As in the writing was smart, not the viewer has to have a big brain to get it. Different level of humor, that's all. It grabbed me at the start and every time I started to lose interest, it grabbed me again with a plot twist.

A couple of us liked it. A couple did not, of which one could not get into it. Fine, let's agree to disagree and move on...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    hey i'm fine with that, and with you bro, LOL

It was mister new guy who came off kinda harsh about the useing your brain comment.. No harm..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Dr. Sound
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Came off harsh? Why? Because I wouldn't let you get away with blanket statements of something you had no true knowledge of? You yourself said you didn't watch it.

Read my comments. I said I could understand if someone didn't like the film. No harm, no foul. The problem is that you didn't even watch the whole thing. The first half hour and the last half hour. How does that even put you on the level of being able to criticize the film?

Anyhow...

To the kberg, who takes my comment about it being a "brainy" comedy personally, because he didn't happen to like the film needs to lighten up. I think Tour2Ma summized that part up perfectly. I was never saying that you must be stupid if you can't understand the film. It's just obvious it's not going to be your kind of movie. Some people enjoy subtleties, some enjoy in your face...some like both.
    drsound-title.gif
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Hey look its only your third post, let's relax and fagetaboutit.. No harm, To be clear being you are quoting me, We watched the first half hour or maybe a bit longer, skimmed, then watched, skimmed them watched, skimmed, O wait that looks good where they were in the swamp with his twin, scroll back a few frames.. finished watching the rest of the movie from there.. OK...

We didn't care for it, i wasn't being a critic, was my wife being a critic? No she just didn't like it either.. and agreed with me when i said, what do you think of this movie so far, we were like, nick cage stinks in this.... That's it that's all
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Doc Sound,

From your second post on your word choice was such that dissenters could take your comments a bit more personally than you may have intended. It happens...

FWIW, I would have chosen to let faster's post stand without challenge as he plainly stated he did not watch the entire movie and readers would take that into account. But that's me...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited June 2003
    Options
    There are only about 4 movies I have ever started to watch, that I turned off due to total boredom.
    This was one of them.

Shep
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    :lol: ... and the other three were?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    While I have not seen this movie, and probably never will, the film critics overwhelmingly side with Dr. Sound.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Adaptation-1118700/

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Dr. Sound
    edited June 2003
    Options
    :::I keep forgetting this is an HT forum:::

***note to self***

Don't talk about movies that don't have fantastic sound and **** blowing up.....
    drsound-title.gif
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    :::I keep forgetting this is an HT forum:::

***note to self***

Don't talk about movies that don't have fantastic sound and **** blowing up.....

This is not a HT forum. This is a forum for Polk Audio speaker owners. If you want to delve heavy into HT, jump over to www.hometheaterforum.com.

And you should not infer or assume from my statement that the only movies I prefer are those which contain "fantastic sound and **** blowing up". I've got a decent genre mix in my movie collection, thank you.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Actually I thought that was a pretty funny line...

Dr. Sound, need to add a smiley at the end of jabs like that...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    This guys is just alittle uptight, Relax.....

Tour, I'm not a simpleton... (not that you said i was) I know what i thought of the movie regardless if i watched every frame or not.. Just my opinion, you liked it thats great!!

DOC,

you know about critics also, Every movie seems hardly good enough for some of them, except the brainey strange movies it seems,

Oh well, that's all.. i'm no critic just simple me watching movies as i go
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • kberg
    edited June 2003
    Options

To the kberg, who takes my comment about it being a "brainy" comedy personally, because he didn't happen to like the film needs to lighten up. I think Tour2Ma summized that part up perfectly. I was never saying that you must be stupid if you can't understand the film. It's just obvious it's not going to be your kind of movie. Some people enjoy subtleties, some enjoy in your face...some like both.

Hey, it wasn't a slam against you - I was just taking what you said and provided an opinion after you said that one would need to watch the whole movie to provide an opinion in the first place. So, I watched the whole movie and STILL didn't like it. Also, I did use caution by using the following words in my response like...

"Can't agree with you here, since the above statement suggests that if you like to watch "brainy" movies, one might inherently like this one. I like brainy movies, but I didn't like this one, if you call it brainy."

As mentioned earlier, I think it just boiled down to your choice of words. Forums like these can easily create unintended tones in posted notes, meaning that if you were at my house right now talking about this movie, we'd probably be laughing about this thread right now. :p
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
  • Dr. Sound
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Can I come over?
    drsound-title.gif
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Not to watch this movie :D:D Kidding...............
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Can I come over?
    Now THAT'S the spirit...

BTW I heard the director's cut is coming out soon and it includes a bank robbery, a really cool chase scene and an alien invasion... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Now THAT'S the spirit...

BTW I heard the director's cut is coming out soon and it includes a bank robbery, a really cool chase scene and an alien invasion... :D

Do i detect some sarcasm?? just respect others opinions, it's just a stupid movie and i mean that literally , :D:D:D:D:D:D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Actually the "spirit" part was genuine. As for the rest... :rolleyes: ummmmm, guilty as charged...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    : ummmmm, guilty as charged...

Unessasary :rolleyes:
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited June 2003
    Options
    New person here: Just thought I'd say that I found the movie to be one of the better that I've seen in the past year or two.

Kaufman proves once again that he's a brilliant human, who's not only capable of advanced conceptualization, but who can also put all of the pieces together to formulate the whole.

The amazing creativity of "Being John Malkovich" wasn't a fluke.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • kberg
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Can I come over?

Only if you can demonstrate an acceptable level of adaptation to my behavior. :)
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2003
    Options
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    Unessasary :rolleyes:
    "Just tryin' to keep it lively."

Name that movie an win a cookie!
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by kberg
    Only if you can demonstrate an acceptable level of adaptation to my behavior. :)
    For some reason, that doesn't sound quite right..........:p
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.