Greetings from england

Frequency Hz
Frequency Hz Posts: 8
edited June 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello all i'm new to this forum, i'm form England in the UK,

just thought i would start by showing you all my car, im now changing all the speakers to polk, so ill post some more pick when i have them all in ;)

The car FIAT PUNTO GT TURBO full_OS_with_tints.jpg

My dash with DVD & 7.5" wide screen
sec_con_side.jpg
screen.jpg

The engine 1.4 turbo 210 BHP 0 to 60 5.5 secs
engine_bay_with_strut_brace.jpg

punt047.JPG
have fun -- back in latter in the week when i have more time :D
Post edited by Frequency Hz on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    nice car...i love yellow...but i dont think i could fit in one of those...
    what kind of polk speakers are you putting in there?
    -Cody
  • Frequency Hz
    edited June 2003
    I'm just in the process of constructing the door builds out of F/glass to house a pair of MM465 & also the rear quarters will house a pair too.

I have not yet heard them in this car -- so it's all a tad new.

all i have to do onw is find 2x12" subs to fill the space i have left in the boot :D May stretch to 3 if i have the room :eek:

Will pop a few pice on here when i done:)
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    lol...i wouldnt think you could fit one 12 in that car....much less 3
    but im used to a full size truck thats twice as big as that car and drinks twice as much gas
    -Cody
  • Frequency Hz
    edited June 2003
    it's a tite squeez to get 3 x 12" in but thay will go -- the advantage of a samll car is big sound in small space = big SPL,
    & i bet your truck is as big as my house -- no need for such a big toy over here, we pay more road tax for having bigger engies in england, plus you have some states in the usa that are bigger than england :D

so you need big trucks just to get around
    >

anyway -- we have go compleatly of subject now

:o

never mind ;)

back in a bit :D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    the american need for big trucks is based mostly in **** envy...

dr. ruth said so:eek:
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2003
    I totally disagree with Dr. Ruth, she is a nittering twit.

I got my truck because it has the best of almost all automotive aspects. It's fast, handles well, looks good and has real utility to it. If it had 4 doors and was about 800 pounds lighter, it'd be the uber vehicle and would be dumb to buy anything else. But alas, it's a big fat pig compared to most cars and another set of doors would make it even bigger and fatter and totally destroy the balance of the vehicle.

I got my truck because I didn't want a "me too" car like a Mustang or Camaro and they stopped making the Thunderbird. Otherwise, I'd still be rolling in a T-bird. The only real issue I have with trucks is space. Contrary to Frequency Hz's belief concerning size and space of the vehicle, I'd be willing to bet that there is 1/3rd the amount of useful passenger space inside the passenger compartment of my truck. But, I could probably fit his car in the bed or at least drag it down the street quickly.

But trucks have been around as long as cars and trucks are popular in the U.S. because they are very well made vehicles with an extreme amount of utility and the U.S. is predominantly a working class country and most people I know get the total worth of the truck out of it and then some. I mean, my family has trucks that have been on the road longer than a Mercedes Benz. The truck may not be worth nearly as much but in usefulness, as long as it's running and road-worthy, a truck can make you money. A fancy-pants car can't.

The U.S. has had a love affair with cars from the very start. That goes for trucks too. Personally, I am a gearhead to the highest degree! I didn't buy my truck because of **** envy, I bought it because it's balls-to-the-wall performance and it'll easily trounce 90% of the vehicles on the road. It is truely an American vehicle. It's a big, bad-**** truck that has a mountain of a motor that sucks gas and rattles windows and makes no bones about it. But only in America have I seen guys pass up a Ferrari to get a look at the lifted Chevy C/K 1500 running the 502 crate motor and a Skyjacker suspension system rolling on 48 inch mudders. Most people here grew up with a pickup in the driveway or in the driveway of a relative. It's a sign of the American public's willingness to get up, get down in the dirt and do the work that has to get done to get by.

Me, I'll always have a truck in my driveway. And not any kind of SUV. I'm talking a pick up truck or a full-sized van. If I want a people mover like an SUV, I'll go find myself an 1978 LTD station wagon and put that ocean liner horn from J.C. Whitney in it!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Frequency Hz
    edited June 2003
    "OOOOOOOOO" nice rant ;)

i put it to you to calculate the internal space of your truck, & i'll do the same with my car :p

ALSO

My car earns me loads of money, as i own a car audio shop & this car is the demo car :p

NEXT!

LOL
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    well off the top of my head... i'll give u a rough air space for a standard cab and a quad cab...

S cab --> ( 60 / 12) * ( 48 / 12 ) * (48 / 12) = 5 x 4 x 4 = 80 cubic feet.

X cab --> ( 60 x 12 ) * (48 / 12) * (70 / 12) = 5 x 4 x 5.833 = 117 cubic feet.

lets compare that to a ford focus -- which i'd say is about on par with most euro cars for space?.....

Focus --> (40 / 12) * (36 /12) * (about 8 feet) = 3.33 x 3 x 8 = 80 cubic feet.

hmm... this is gonna have to come down to actual measurements because rough numbers for a hatchback and a Scab pickup are the same... time to bust out the tape measures gentlemen... also note none of the above took into account the displacement of seats or dahsboard or whatever...just cabin roughly.

John, i'll grant u, dr. ruth is a 'tard. was just tryin to be silly w/ the afore mentioned "**** envy" comment...

i agree, i would never have a driveway that did not have a truck in it... you cant bring lumber home in a car, you cant haul sacks and sacks of mulch, concrete, or any other material in a car...

most of all, you cant BEAT on a car. and you can't expect a car to turn over and trudge through 2 feet of snow like a truck can.

euro cars have been getting smaller and smaller... i dunno why.... probably cheaper, easier to build, and more fuel efficient....

i must say, i have had thoughts of one day owning a hybrid car that got 50 miles to the gallon if for no reason other than to be a little nicer to mother earth... but that would not be at the expense of not owning a truck. probably drive the **** putter bug to work and back daily, drive the truck everywhere else.

i'd still like to see the natural gas 360 v8 come out.
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Frequency Hz
    "OOOOOOOOO" nice rant ;)

i put it to you to calculate the internal space of your truck, & i'll do the same with my car :p

ALSO

My car earns me loads of money, as i own a car audio shop & this car is the demo car :p

NEXT!

LOL

OK, you want to know space. Take your front seat, at a bout a foot to the passenger side and that's about it. It gets pretty tight and most picups with a standard cab have a split bench seat so space is at a premium. I'll have to take pictures and post them.

• Frequency Hz
    edited June 2003
    my car @ this moment in time is in the badyshop having new paint-- it's all stripped out so i'm going to go on friday to measure it & calculate the spacethen workout the displacment of the seats,

i doo fell we are just doing this to prove a point -- i have no idea what the point is -- but it fun anyway LOL :D

it's nice to know we can communicate on the same subject from 4000ish mile away:p :cool: ;)
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    if i didnt have a truck id die
    and my truck only gets 11 miles a gallon
    damn 3/4 ton
    lol
    have thought about getting a motorcycle in the same sense pbd wants a hybrid
    but i dont know
    and you want to talk about beating up on something
    i have a friend who was coming home about 2 oclock in the morning and missed a curve in her 92 chevy z71, ended up rolling the pickup 1 1/2 times landing on its cab in a muddy farm field...her and her friends got out of the extended cab window and the wrecker came
    point of the story:
    the wrecker flipped the truck back over from the road...the guy got in the truck, started it, put it in 4wd and backed it up to the wrecker...the truck was totaled cuz it bent the frame but they sold it to a guy for parts
    now id like someone to do that in a eclipse
    chevy, like a rock:D
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    bob seger is a pimp
  • Frequency Hz
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    bob seger is a pimp

WHAT LOL

Whos Bob Seger?:D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    bob seger is a classic rock and roll singer...

chevy trucks have been using the refrain from one of his songs for about 20 years now.

"Like a rock, hard against the wind, Like a rock, never givin in..."

there's a lot more to it, but basically chevy has been saying they're "Like a Rock" and using clips for his song for like I said 20 some odd years.

I'm surprised you haven't heard it yet -- I know you're on the other side of the pond, but isn't chevy sold overseas (this is where i look really stupid for having no idea whether chevy is sold overseas) ?? if so -- they hadda have one of those "like a rock" comercials on at some point in your lifetime.

bob seger made a fortune off the royalties:D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    oh speaking of vehicle "slogans" --- you can really get a good idea for where a company is going with their product by their slogans....

chevy - "like a rock"

ford - "built ford tough / the best never rest"

... both indicate a tendency toward workload and being able to "haul the load" so to speak. dependability, toughness, and performance are what is really pushed with those kinds of ad campaigns.

i'm tryin to remember what Dodge's was in the 80's / early 90's -- probably something like "We're going bankrupt please buy our stupid looking truck that only one guy in buffalo even remotely likes the body style of and it's got a weak engine that can't haul much of ****, but we put a muscle car transmission in it anyway."

the whole "The Rules Have Changed / Grab Life by the Horns" slogans from the last 10 yrs have really relflected a total change in direction for the company.

they're catering toward people who want trucks with attitudes. and believe it or not - customer research testing showed that women liked the '94 body style and that the Mopar CEO was sittin around one day and said "If you're going out to buy a truck, and your wife doesn't want a truck, wants you to buy a minivan, but she can stomach the Ram and says 'that's kinda cute', you're gonna buy the ram instead of a minivan."

and with a **** line of engines and bad transmissions they sold a shitload of trucks and saved the company based on women's opinions and a body shell they bought off of Ford for 10 dollars and a pack of cigarettes.

There's a certain adolescent stupidity that is exuded by mopar product, and I kind of like it.

I'll tell ya tho, one of the best ad's I ever saw was in Popular Mechanics Magazine from like March or something...

it was a picture of a 2003 Chevy Avalanche... and the caption read "This is what happens when your engineers grow up watching Transformers and The A-Team"

... now that's an ad that makes a guy look twice at a truck that he may have normally just glanced over... it strikes a certain adolecent stupidity chord...

Toyota's slogan for the Tundra = (said in thick chinese accent) "You, stupid American, you think you build truck, we build soooooopa truck.. beeeeg geeegantic truck, beeega than anything you eva see before... then we get 60 kilometers to the gallon (notice i didn't say miles there), and give it 100,000 mile warranty!"

American Truck Maker's Response to Toyota = "wow, that's a big El-Camino... wanna go haul my groceries home and make me a sandwich, ****".

and finally, the best ad i've seen this month...

Corvette --- big **** billboard with a vette speeding through the frame with blurry lines comin off it, and Prince's song refrain "Little red corvette, baby you're much too fast" splattered across the side of the billboard.
  • Frequency Hz
    edited June 2003
    There are no chevy dealers in the uk, you can get them through one or 2 importers, but you'll never see a chevy ad on uk TV --I lived in NY for 12 months but must have had my eyes closed for most of that - well i was working hard on your digital cellular network :cool: :rolleyes: :o
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    i thought dodge bought that design from chevy...
    but i dunno..thats what i heard many moons ago
    my chevy has 170000 miles on it and it beat a 2002 dodge v8 quad cab...i never wouldve believed it if i hadnt seen it...a 96 3/4 ton(geared for pulling, not for high speed), with 170k miles, and it beat a 2002 v8 dodge...
    the only problems ive had with mine has been the alternator, air compressor for the a/c, fan belt, and the power steering hose...tough little truck...it goes through a lot of crap...lol
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    cody -- i'll tell u one thing (i'm betting) that i know witout even "being there"

that truck did not have a "HEMI" badge on the side of it... since that wasn't a 2002 option (2003 it was born).

and i can pretty much bet my left nut that it didn't have the 5.9 360 either...

which means it had the "new" grocery getter 4.7 liter piece of junk v8.

that engine is a DOG... i mean like wooof wooof DOG.

that and the automatic trannies are terd.

i dont doubt your truck could smoke that, and probably every other 2002 ram with the standard engine. I was no big fan of the initial "rebirth" of the ram... i wactually was kinda bothered by it, looked at it as a downgrade in many respects.

but the 2003 got a bit better and i'm not "bothered" by them anymore...lol.

i'll tell u -- chevy -- in general -- builds a hell of a vehicle.

i've been under the hood of this cadillac all day today and i'll tell ya, for a 27 year old car -- the parts are holdin up well, and it has been firin up like a champ for me.

now all gm has to do is galvanize both sides of their sheet metal on body panels and make a stiffer suspension and i may jump ship (shhh dont tell anyone).
  • Jstas
    edited June 2003
    HMMMMMM? Seperated at birth?

03.dodge.ram.2500.f34.500.jpg

school.bus.jpg

That dun look like no Chevy to me!

Has Dodge ever had a truck that DOESN'T look like one Ford or another?

• Jstas
    edited June 2003
    Oh, hey, since the Dodges are so short, I guess they could be short buses? Does that make thier owners "special"?

• sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Oh, hey, since the Dodges are so short, I guess they could be short buses? Does that make thier owners "special"?
    lmao
    chevy has a few more problems...they have problems with their windshield wipers becoming unpainted...the windshield wiper motor for my truck got recalled b/c it would stop working driving down the highway...they have a lot of problems with their tailgates...not opening and the wire supports on the side breaking
    fuel pumps being inside the gas tank sucks...but other cars have them in it too...one time my dad was driving...thought he ran out of gas...filled it up..then found out it was the fuel pump...had to drop the tank and drain it...pain in the ****
    power steering hoses arent really great...but ford has that problem too
    and their new head lights look STUPID...gmc is ok...they curve up a little...chevy over did it....dont like it at all
    most of it is minor stuff though
    i love the cummins engine...but dodge transmissions suck ****...they used to anyways...not sure about the newer models
    my friend(drives a power stroke) told my other friend(drives a cummins) "you know, when youre already cummin ill still be stroking"
    i think that was the funniest thing ive ever heard..that and i was half drunk...
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    my grandpa got a 2003 4 full size door 1500hd and told me, you can tell more and more of the parts for these things are being made in japan every year, just look at the japanese eyes lookin headlights
    thought i might want to add that too
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    LMFAO -- **** eye lights and a **** school bus!!!! LMFAO

you guys are a damn trip :)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,535
    edited June 2003
    ::i dont doubt your truck could smoke that, and probably every other 2002 ram with the standard engine. I was no big fan of the initial "rebirth" of the ram... i wactually was kinda bothered by it, looked at it as a downgrade in many respects. ::

No offense to Dodge, but I work on a construction site. The brick mason *owned* a huge Dodge truck, super duty, and all. It was the works. Not to mention, HUGE. Well, He carries a bobcat on the trailor, well his Bobcat was stuck in the mud. So he tried to pull it out with this Gigantic Dodge truck. *Its new*. Well He ended up getting stuck in the mud. So they disconnect it from the bobcat, and he tries to get out on his own. Nope, not gonna happen. That old Dodge didnt go no where! So my Boss comes out there with a Suburban and pulls him out, and then the Dodge gets stuck again. Now the brick mason owns a F-350, and hasn't gotten stuck since. Dodges look nice, no doubt. Once again, no offense to dodge. I am just bored, and sharing my experience/laughs with dodge.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    lol...thanks...that was pretty funny...ive only gotten stuck once in a 4wd..and it took 2 4wds to pull me out...a dodge and a gmc...both had bf goodrich m/t
    the truck i was driving at the time was a 92 gmc single cab, short bed, with bfg a/ts
    that truck would go anywhere...almost...
    the tires were 275/75s i think...and i was pushing mud over the bumper...had to crawl out the window....find the chain in the bed...the bed had about an inch of mud in it...crawled over cabin...down the hood....dug for the hooks...threw the chain....got hooked up
    i drove about 2 ft hooked up to the other guys when the ground started to slope up and get more solid...another words..if i wouldve made it two more feet...i wouldve gotten out...but it was fun anyways...you couldnt tell the truck was blue...took me 2 hrs and 2 gallons of gas for a pressure washer to wash it out
    man i wish i still had that truck...
    -Cody