SR5250's as coax?

Options
TakeTheTime
TakeTheTime Posts: 249
edited August 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey! Has anyone here tested the SR5250's as coax-speakers? :D

I've been thinking about differenent setups recently,
and I was gonna try the SR6500 midwoofer with a 2" Tang Band.
I've been dreaming about a threeway setup at front - all Polk Audi SR,
but in order to do that I need a new 2 channel and a HU supporting 4 way
active crossover. Then I thought, what about a three way system with
my subwoofer, SR6500-woofer as midbass and SR5250 coax?

I was then thinking about cut holes and mount them "free-air" in the dashboard. ;)
Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
Post edited by TakeTheTime on

Comments

• chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Subs are generally not included in a 2 way or 3 way set up. If you're planning on doing an all sr 3 way use the 6.5 as mid bass, 5.2 as mids, and tweets for highs. I would only mount the 5.2 on the dash and tweets on the pillars.
  • catch22atplay
    catch22atplay Posts: 130
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Call it 3.1 maybe. Makes more sense to me. So if you reference 3 way you're talking woofer, midrange, tweeter. Sub optional but adding it then makes it 3.1.

Coax is a step down in quality. Infinite baffle is even worse as there's no enclosure and sound would leak thru elsewhere under the dash, etc.. The rear waves cancel out the front waves and or you now have 2 sounds coming out of 1 driver. front wave in phase, back wave 180 degrees out of phase. It would never sound right unless you could plug every hole in the dash. Imaging would be terrible. Sound would be muddied, etc, etc. An enclosure would be required.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures
  • catch22atplay
    edited August 2010
    Options
    As you only have 4 stereo channels you could use the passive crossover for the 5250 and power that with 1 amp. The other amp can power the 6500 midbass driver. The only problem is it limits you to using TA of midrange with tweeter. The midbass is fine though.

Basically you have the exact same problem i'm facing. I have several extra Rockford amps though. So i got that covered. But for TA i'll need a 360.2 or a Bit-1 or an M-8. Leaning towards an M-8 as it doesn't require a laptop with winXP or a Palm Pilot. Neither of which i have as all 3 laps use windows 7 and i don't have a palm pilot. However i may wait a bit for more companies to put some comparable processors out. Should lower prices a bit. I wish Audio Control had one as i'm a huge fan of their products.
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures
  • TakeTheTime
    edited August 2010
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    If you are setting up a 3-way crossover network, that includes subs, mids, and tweets. A 4-way would be subs, mid-bass, mid-range, and tweets. That's my understanding at least.

That is correct my friend. ;)
    And this HU supports 4-way:

pioneer-DEX-P99RS-in-car-cd-tuner.jpg

...but this costs 1675 (USD) in Norway. :rolleyes:
    Coax is a step down in quality. Infinite baffle is even worse as there's no enclosure and sound would leak thru elsewhere under the dash, etc.. The rear waves cancel out the front waves and or you now have 2 sounds coming out of 1 driver. front wave in phase, back wave 180 degrees out of phase. It would never sound right unless you could plug every hole in the dash. Imaging would be terrible. Sound would be muddied, etc, etc. An enclosure would be required.

Step down you say, eventhough it's the SR's? :eek:

Do you think they will affect eachother eventhough they'll be
    mounted pretty far away from eachother? Who knows, maybe it's
    even som kind of "walls" in the middle? And I would be damping a lot
    if I did this, and I would cover all holes I could in the dashboard...
    As you only have 4 stereo channels you could use the passive crossover for the 5250 and power that with 1 amp. The other amp can power the 6500 midbass driver. The only problem is it limits you to using TA of midrange with tweeter. The midbass is fine though.

I know I could use passive crossover, but hey - I want to cover everything with TA. ;)
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited August 2010
    Options
    If you're going 4 way, I would stay fully active. Down the line when you're dialing in everything, variable x over points are a good tuning tool to have. So yes another 2 ch amp and a processor.

I would take a processor aka bit-1, MS-8, 360.2, over the p-99. While the p-99 also has a 31 band eq it is not independent for each driver. A processor gives you 31 bands independent for each driver. Use your p88 as a source or even your Alpo if that has a digital out. Run a toslink to the processor and do all your dsp there.

Mounting your mid range in your dash would work provided you enclosed it in a well calibrated sealed or ported enclosure like catch 22 mention. IB would not work. You could also mount your mid range in coax and have both the mid range and tweets at dash level. But this is not going to be easy of cheap.

Your mid range driver say 300hz-5khz is carrying a lot of imaging cues. 2khz and above are your height cues. So this will help both with better imaging and stage height. Of course assuming you're using the dsp correctly. :)
  • catch22atplay
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Eh WTF the 99rs does apple lossless? The manual does not list this ability. Yet the pioneer website states it as a key feature. My god there goes another 1,200 bones as i swap head units. And wasted money on that new center console as well. :(

You don't really need a 31 band eq for each speaker. You'd only be using 8 bands or so for each driver. The advantage of having a 31 band for each driver would really only help at or near the crossover frequency. But you can adjust crossover freq for underlap or overlap and or slopes to achieve the same effect. While i like the idea and advantage of 31 bands per speaker i think 31 bands per side is pretty damn versatile. Although midbass to sub could be a potential problem area. Just need to be smart in how you work everything.

I don't see a volume control for the sub btw. You can set it's level like the other speakers. But where's the sub volume control when i want to do some bumping? Oh well Audio control epicenter will take care of it.

Jeez i may as well compete in Meca or something the way i'm leaning towards.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited August 2010
    Options
    You don't really need a 31 band eq for each speaker. You'd only be using 8 bands or so for each driver. The advantage of having a 31 band for each driver would really only help at or near the crossover frequency. But you can adjust crossover freq for underlap or overlap and or slopes to achieve the same effect. While i like the idea and advantage of 31 bands per speaker i think 31 bands per side is pretty damn versatile. Although midbass to sub could be a potential problem area. Just need to be smart in how you work everything.

Jeez i may as well compete in Meca or something the way i'm leaning towards.

Yes, you don't need 31 frequencies for each driver. But you do need independent control for sure. If I had a processor, here's how I would play it and its something I know works for sure :).

The sub would play 2.5 octaves, but I would want control upto 2 octaves up from this point, even if its to set frequencies beyond the xover point to min. So thats like 5 octaves for the sub.

The mids would play about 8 octaves and as a min I would need an octave above and below. Thats 10 octaves for the mid

The tweets would play 2 octaves and here I would need 2 octaves below.
    Thats four octaves.

You don't need all 10 octaves for all drivers, but you do need it for the mids, well almost :). Oh, and if you're serious about competing and hope to finish top 10, you have to run a processor.
  • jay27
    jay27 Posts: 105
    edited August 2010
    Options
    The P01/P99 does apple lossless through the ipod. It's a very nice unit.

It has a lot of tuning capability and unlimited crossover points, but unless you are a pro at tuning it would be difficult to harness all that processing power.

If you are not a great tuner, I would recommend the MS-8. I never got the SR speakers to sound as good as the auto-tune function got them to sound on it's own. With the tweeters in the sail panels, the stage was very high. On some songs, the drums would pan from one side to the other and seem as though someone was playing drums on my dash, which was a cool effect. And the time alignment is perfect. I never had to align anything. Time alignment was something I never did get good at manually, but the MS-8 gets this right in about 2 minutes flat.
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I ran a setup just like you are considering with the SR5250 mounted in custom kickpanels in coax mode with the midbass from a SR6500 set in the doors. I used the passive crossover on the SR5250's and ran them off a two channel amp. Ran the midbass from another two channel amp also. Sound was amazing. To be honest with you and depending on volume of listening but I could turn off the midbass and just listen to the SR5250's with a lower crossover point. I had them in sealed pods and really either way the sound was excellent....I will try and find a picture.
  • TakeTheTime
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yeah okay, cool. But on what level was your stage? I would think it would be way low...