are the tweets blown

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
at high volumes, my tweets start to pop, the local guys at circuit city said they were blown, to be it sound almost like there is bass getting through the crossover or somthing, becasue the poping seems to occur when the mids are hitting,

and i know for a fact its coming from the tweet not the driver, also i would have that if i had blown a speaker it would have been the drivers before the tweets,

i guess the reason i do not think they are blown, is the still sound so darn good but they never used to do that in the past with my volume almost to the max say 26 no if i get to 21 pop pop"and i do not turn them up to the point of distortion"

my deck alpine 7995
amp running them alpine mrv-t420

so whats the deal

should i just swap them for new ones
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    lol....if you find out let me know cuz i have the same problem...i just turned the gain down on my amp..some songs still do it..and i turn the volume down
    how much power do you have running to your speakers?
    im too lazy to look up the specs on the amp..sorry
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    well my birth cert. stats 125watts at 14v and i am getting 14v
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    cross them over higher -- see what happens -- u can get a capacitor at radio shack for a dollar -- put that should tell u whether or not they're x-ed too low -- hell even if u just get a new cap of the existing size -- that should tell u if its the xover.

i dunno tho -- if u beat on a tweeter it'll die like anything else.

cept whe a tweeter goes it tends to be like "bzzt"-ing all the time... like they'l sound like **** 24-7
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    well i got to looking and noticed that my amp is set to full range and im using the crossover in the deck

could that be the problem??

should set the crossover on the deck to 80hz and the amp to 90hz

im sure this is a stupid question but is it bad to crossover 2 times or does it just mean your getting a steeper slope??

i hope that made since

thanks poweredbydodge

also i can trade them for the exact same m465 or would trade up to mm6's do you think there is a diffrence in sound or are they really the same?? im sure you would know
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    i forgot to mention that the speakers i am talking about are the polk mm465's sorry that would prob. help anyone in answering my question
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    i'm fuzzy on my model numbers -- what are 465's? ? are they just the old (original) version of the momo components?

if so -- the mm6 wont be any difft.

are u biamping these things?

the deck xover / amp xover shouldn't affect the tweeter -- that would affect the woofer... but see the components have a crossover network... amp goes to xover -- then the woofer hooks to it and the tweet hooks to it -- the momo xover network is pre-set from the factory at like 6 db per octave at about 4,000 hertz i think.

that's about standard for a tweeter... and normally its a good point to xover at. if you have them hooked up like i said with the polk xover then u can run your head unit xover, or not, run your amp xover, or not, or put 10 million xovers on that thing and as long as none of them are at or above 4,000 hertz then its not going to affect it... well i'm sure if u ran 10 million of them something funky would happen, but 2 isn't going to make any diff.

my guess would be that maybe either

1) you've somehow overpowered them -- which doesn't make sense, you can kinda beat on those things without a problem.

2) you have your trebble set way to high on the deck or are using the loudness control and the trebble way up -- this would create an un-natural (like very unnatural) peaking in the frequency range of that tweeter. the idea is the same for a sub -- if u really turn up the bass boost on an amp u make an unnatural peak at 40 hertz which even with normal power (like 300 watts on a 300 watt sub) can beat the **** out of that sub and kill it. so its not a far leap to assume the same could happen to a tweet.

3) bad wiring somewhere -- i dunno -- could happen.

4) the crossovers went bad -- some non-vented crossovers that are totally sealed can overheat and crap the bed -- its not common, but it could be so -- i could pop em open and take a look at the capacitors inside -- if they are bumped up at the top of the cylinder -- like looking like they're gonna burst or the labels are peeled off -- u may have cooked the crossovers (well the caps in the crossovers).

u know if u work at CC -- u know what i'd do -- take one of the momo tweets off display -- and hook it up for half an hour -- see if it sounds the same of difft -- if its the same - then ugot a problem somewhere else - if its difft u got bad tweets.
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    hell, i just spiked my brain, my old roomate has a set of polk momo465 just like mine. in the basement in a cardboard box, i bet he forgot they were here. ill swap them just to see if i hear a diffrence

thanks for all the input, your a genius....i'll post again if i cant fix the problem

is ther anywere "site" i can read about the hole 12/6 db per octave stuff so i can understand it a little better......
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited June 2003
    I had the same problem with my components. Switched my amp from full range to high pass and turned the x-over down a little and I can turn them up much higher than ever before without any distortion or anything, you might wanna give that a shot before you swap anything.
    "The Big C"
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    C-man -- were his problem one with the woofer... i'd agree with you, but when the tweeter is isolated at above 4k hertz, he could be pumping a 0.000000000001 hertz wave into that thing and its not gonna play on the tweet.

swap out the tweeter -- that'll be the tell tale thing... leave hte woofer alone.

regarding slopes -- i dunno dude -- look itup on google.... www.the12volt.com has some crude explainations (good graphs, bad explainations, then again teh graphs are self explanatory).

click on "passive crossovers" -- click on the 12 ... then the 6 -- look at the graphs and the slope of degeneration backwards and over what range.
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited June 2003
    My bad... I didn't read the first post closely enough, just thought you were talking about the components in general.

Chris
    "The Big C"
  • automaticman
    automaticman Posts: 21
    edited June 2003
    If two crossovers set at the same frequency are run in series ( like one in the deck and one on the amp) then the slopes will just add together
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, you can basically make a bandpass frequency network.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    ok.. what if you are running fmod crossovers on patch cables-- and you have a 70 hertz 12db // and a 100 hertz 12 db in series -- what'll that do ?? ????
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2003
    If the 70 is high pass and the 100 is low pass, it'll play between 70 and 100 hz. Any other way and the 100 would be the only one that mattered. If the 100 was high pass, the 70 would never get a 70 signal to block or allow. If the 100 was low pass then the 70 would get signal but if it was a low pass, you'd only get 70 Hz and lower.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • automaticman
    edited June 2003
    Actually, I'm pretty sure the slope would increase from 12 to 24 db/oct under 70 hz
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    ya i've got a 70 high pass on the rca line, then it splits -- and it goes into one amp, then the other half of the split goes through a 100hz high pass into the 2nd amp...
  • automaticman
    edited June 2003
    Ohh, if we're talking high-pass then the slope will increase ABOVE 100hz