6.1/7.1 set up?

Options
Digital Daddy
Digital Daddy Posts: 36
I currently have a 5.1 system but am wanting to go to 7.1.I have a H/K 520 and would need to buy a seperate amp to drive the SBL/SBR speakers.If I play a movie recorded in 6.1 matrix or discrete will all surround speakers play or do you have to have just a rear center channel?If so, how does 7.1 work if there are no movies recorded in 7.1?Sorry if this doesn't make sense but I don't really understand how 6.1/7.1 works?
  1. RTi 70
  2. CSi 40
  3. r30
  4. r15
  5. Velodyne 12" sub
  6. H/K AVR520
  7. PS3
  8. Xbox 360
  9. Bell HD satellite 6100
  10. Samsung 4665 HDTV
Post edited by Digital Daddy on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    So far 7.1 is just like having the rears running mono, i.e, same signal to both so it's really a matter of blending better with the side surrounds which are discrete channels.

In purchasing your 2 ch amp, you may want to consider buying one to power to your mains and let your AVR handle the rest of the speakers.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Digital Daddy
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Tour2ma,even if i ran the mains with a two channel amp I would still need another amp to run the SBL/SBR because they have seperate pre outs with no jumper pins for on-board amplification.Ifmovie was a 6.1 discrete format,would the SBL/SBR play in mono or stereo as I assume if it was 6.1 matrix the SBL/SBR would play in mono,is this correct?What would be good choice for the side surrounds for my system that consists of: MAINS=RTi70 CENTER=CSi40 AVR=H/K520 REAR=R30 SUB=VELODYNE CHT 12" I was thinking of using dipoles/bipoles for side surrounds?
    1. RTi 70
    2. CSi 40
    3. r30
    4. r15
    5. Velodyne 12" sub
    6. H/K AVR520
    7. PS3
    8. Xbox 360
    9. Bell HD satellite 6100
    10. Samsung 4665 HDTV
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    DD,
    The i-series bi-/di-poles should work well with your other speakers. They are the majority choice for side surrounds. Base your choice on budget (which ought to get some help from the new RTi line coming soon) and size to match your mains and center.

If you err, do so on the side of bigger than you need. It’s easier to make bigger sound smaller than it is to make too small a choice sound bigger...

I’d say the Fxi50’s look pretty good. Others ‘round here have your mains and can better comment on the choice.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I ran a 7.1 rig for a while off my old Kenwood which had a single pre-out for 6.1. I used a Y splitter on the pre-out and ran it to both amp inputs and powered each rear surround that way.

Regardless, tour is correct, 7.1 is nothing more than 6.1 with two rears getting the same signal.

However, some advanced AVRs have a DSP mode that provides true 7.1, but it is not DD or DTS derived, although it can work with DD and DTS input signals. On my 3803, it's called "Widescreen Mode", and it sends a discrete signal to each rear surround.

Regardless, you can apply matrix decoding to any 5.1 signal, and that's how I usually run my 3803. All DD-EX and DTS-ES matrix decoding does is strip some of the side surround information and send it to the rear channel. While DVDs specifically listed as DD-EX and DTS-ES will benefit the most from matrix decoding, it will work with any 5.1 source, but your mileage may vary on effects.

DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 is a true discrete rear channel that is not derived from the side channels. All AVRs which are not DTS-ES Discrete capable will downmix this rear channel and send it to the sides so you are not missing any sounds. You just won't hear them from the rear channel.

Hope this helps.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Digital Daddy
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the experienced advice guys.
    1. RTi 70