What am I doing wrong?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a Rockford 500a2 bridged to drive my MM120, yet I keep blowing it - the positive wire from the cone to the input screw terminal keeps breaking off. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Do I have the gains tuned too high or something? Rather than trying to attach it again, I want to find out once and for all what I am doing wrong to cause this to happen. I have the X-over frequency on the amp set to 80 Hz, and I've turned the Punch Bass all the way down. Please help; I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

p.s. If it is in fact a problem with the gains, how would I tune it properly? I've read about the distortion method, but how do you apply it on such low frequencies? Are the distortions that audible?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    danny -- its a problem with the sub

generation 1 momo subs were known for this defect and polk never rectified it.

the solution is actually one you need to doyourself

with a little patience, and some careful soldering, you'll never have to worry about it again.

get a 1 - 2 inch long (length will depend on what you feel is best for your sub) piece of 18 gauge high strand count (so its soft and not stiff) speaker wire -- i reccomend monster cable --- not because its better or worse than anything else -- but just because it tends to be soft.

leave the jacket on it -- and strip about 1/4 inch on each end

solder one end to the hookup terminal -- solder the other end to the the detached end of the tinsel wire (wire from the cone).

BE VERY VERY VERY VERY GODDAMN CAREFUL OF THE FOLLOWING!!!

1- do not burn the cone with teh soldering iron!
    2- do not heat the tinsel lead for more than absolutely necessary -- you can burn those things right off if you leave the iron on them too long -- i suggest tinning the piece of extention wire with solder first --- then... holding it against the tinsel lead and just briefly hitting it with the iron -- this will melt the solder on the extnetion and make it wrap around the tinsel lead -- the wires wont be wound together but it'll begood enough.

best of luck to you, and i hope this helped -- even tho i'm sure its not the answer u were hopin for.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2003
    Yo PoweredByDodge, thanks for the reply. I actually had soldered an extension wire to the tinsel wire and took it to the screw terminal to screw it in with the lead wire from the box. But the constant vibrations ripped the extension wire from the terminal.

I was hoping that it might have been something with the settings on my amp, but I guess I'll have to solder that extension wire on to make sure that bad boy holds this time.

Thanks again.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing