SR5250 woofer with OEM Crossover?

frosty2k
frosty2k Posts: 39
edited November 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi guys,

I'm doing my install, but I'm having a minor issue with the speaker wire I want. Knu is out of their solid copper 12g wire for at least a week, so I have to wait a bit longer than I was expecting.

I've got an RSX with OEM component 6.5" in the door, and 1" tweeters on the dash. There has to be a crossover on the front somewhere, but I've never found it.

What I 'want' to do is dampen my doors, and install the new spacers and the SR5250 woofers, then just use my HU amp and OEM wires for at most, a month. I would not install the SR tweeters, since I don't know the crossover point and don't want to damage them.

My question is, can running the woofers off a non-polk crossover, and under powering them damage them? I plan on keeping my volume to a maximum of 20, which was the maximum I used when the OEM speakers were in and never damaged them. Oh, and my INA-W900 outputs 18W rms / 50W max.

Thanks!

PS. Do the SR woofers take well to fully sealing the doors. I'm not putting small enclosures on them, I just plan on sealing all the door holes.
/////ALPINE INA-W900 HU
/////ALPINE PXA-H100 DSP
polkaudio SR5250
JL Audio HD600/4
polkaudio SR124DVC
JL Audio HD750/1

"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics!"
Post edited by frosty2k on

Comments

• TakeTheTime
    TakeTheTime Posts: 249
    edited July 2010
    Uh, the crossover for the SR5250 is 4.6khz,
    but I had no problem cross them lower - like 3.2k...
    frosty2k wrote: »
    PS. Do the SR woofers take well to fully sealing the doors. I'm not putting small enclosures on them, I just plan on sealing all the door holes.

Oh yeah, just do it! After damping my door like you're saying
    and using 2-3 layers all over, my 5250's played excellent midbass!
    To get the best midbass and punch, it is important to make sure
    the woofer really is stuck and doesn't move on the kicks...
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • Kristin
    Kristin Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    If you're not using the tweeters, would you consider selling them? In my 08 Civic Si, I want to use the 6.5 inch woofer from the MM series and the tweeter from the SR series and biamp them from an Alpine PXA-H650 Imprint processor (instead of using the SR crossover).