Water resistance of Polk Car Speakers (SRxxxx)?

Options
polkfaneurope
polkfaneurope Posts: 9
edited July 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi,

As some of you may know from the other thread, I am currently installing my SR6500 set in my BMW E46 front doors.

When installing my replacement tweeter yesterday, I also removed the MID from the door to re-adjust the terminals and was little shocked when I saw some water drops on the backside of the speaker (on top of the magnet/coil enclosure).

I measured the depth of the selfmade adapter, and the loudspeaker chassis will not totally be covered by the wooden rings.

My concern here is, what happens if the membran of the speaker is exposed to some water drops in case of heavy rain/car wash etc, where water can enter thorugh the door/window gap ?

Should I better try to cover the speaker backside from dripping water ?

Or can the membran of the SRxxxx withstand some small amounts of water ?

Covering the backside seems to be a problem, as I cannot simply put some palstic foil around, which would start vibrating when speaker is active :mad:

bmwwaterdaycmnh6.jpg
Post edited by polkfaneurope on

Comments

• TakeTheTime
    TakeTheTime Posts: 249
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Good question - I've been wondering this myself, but haven't thought about just asking the forum here. ;)
    I was shocked too, when I took out SR5250-midwoofer and found water on the same place you described...

DSC00549.jpg?t=1280152079

^ It was mounted like this, very "open" and unprotected from rain.
    But I guess it's not an issue since nothing has happened to the woofers.
    I clean my car 1-2 times a week and I know a lot of water goes into the door,
    so these speakers handles some rough weather, I've made a roof over them though. ;)
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • polkfaneurope
    edited July 2010
    Options
    there should be and are drain holes at bottom at the door...

I do not expect that the doors get filled with water like a bottle :-), but when water is dripping down from the top (where the windows comes out of the door), it could "hit" the membran of the speakers from the back... just like the picture from TakeTheTime...

hmm... any further ideas on that?
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Maybe, check the beading to see if there's any damage there?
  • polkfaneurope
    edited July 2010
    Options
    the speakers are not damaged ....yet!.... I am just wondering what happens if they are exposed to condensing or dripping water.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Doors leak. Fact of life. Those speakers will handle water, just not a ton. If you're really worried about it, you can buy some of these:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/app/product/search/searchresults.aspx?SearchTab=Shop&us=2&search=foam+baffles&x=0&y=0

Having said that, if you use those cut them out to where it just shields the top of the speaker. Foam baffles make terrible enclosures and if you dont cut it up, it will make your sound worse. I have 8's in my doors that are meant for home audio, not car audio...therefore not designed to get wet at all...problem is chevy truck doors leak like niagra falls under heavy rain. So i got those baffles, cut out the bottom and most of the back, no problems at all.

BTW, if those baffles are made out of MDF, the speaker getting wet is going to be the last of your problems. I highly recommend either sealing them with a really good wood sealer or even better, make them out of plywood...and then seal them with wood sealer.

MDF and water dont get a long...at all...and your speakers will have a very real possibility of just falling down when the wood fails...and if its untreated MDF, it WILL fail.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • polkfaneurope
    edited July 2010
    Options
    hi ...

thanks for the hint. my wooden spacer in my front doors are not MDF, but made out of plywood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plywood). Plywood is claimed to withstand water/humidity much better than MDF.... or?
  • exalted512
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Yea, plywood is the way to go.
    -Cody
  • catch22atplay
    catch22atplay Posts: 130
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I used the same pair, db3065's i believe, in my doors in 3 vehicles. Water damage was not a problem and they got wet a lot over the years. They're not paper, so no worries.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Over time I think it could be a problem. What about the simple foam cups that Crutchfield used to sell? They don't effect SQ enough to matter and provide some rear protection.

John or Cody? You have some thoughts on this?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • exalted512
    edited July 2010
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Doors leak. Fact of life. Those speakers will handle water, just not a ton. If you're really worried about it, you can buy some of these:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/app/product/search/searchresults.aspx?SearchTab=Shop&us=2&search=foam+baffles&x=0&y=0

Having said that, if you use those cut them out to where it just shields the top of the speaker. Foam baffles make terrible enclosures and if you dont cut it up, it will make your sound worse. I have 8's in my doors that are meant for home audio, not car audio...therefore not designed to get wet at all...problem is chevy truck doors leak like niagra falls under heavy rain. So i got those baffles, cut out the bottom and most of the back, no problems at all.

BTW, if those baffles are made out of MDF, the speaker getting wet is going to be the last of your problems. I highly recommend either sealing them with a really good wood sealer or even better, make them out of plywood...and then seal them with wood sealer.

MDF and water dont get a long...at all...and your speakers will have a very real possibility of just falling down when the wood fails...and if its untreated MDF, it WILL fail.
    -Cody
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Over time I think it could be a problem. What about the simple foam cups that Crutchfield used to sell? They don't effect SQ enough to matter and provide some rear protection.

John or Cody? You have some thoughts on this?
    :confused::confused:

:p:p:p:p
  • catch22atplay
    catch22atplay Posts: 130
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I'd seriously worry about the baffles effecting sound quality. Won't see me using them. Please read the reviews at crutchfield. If you do decide to buy them cut a 2 inch hole towards the bottom of the baffle.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures