confused and need help.

Options
polkology
polkology Posts: 14
edited July 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
hi guys its been a long time since i posted here, mainly because my company gave me a car and i didnt think it was worth installing a nice system in a company car. anyways now that i work for myself i bought a a 2006 acura tsx that takes 6.75" speakers at the front. the problem is that i live in canada and after hearing all the praise about mb quarts i went out and bought them last year anticipating i was gonna get laid off and would buy my own car and cause i got a really good deal. anyways a year later and here i am but the mb quarts that i have are 5.25 my question is should sell these on ebay and buy the 6.5s or are these gonna be good enough? i just want a really good sounding system. kinda like what you get in a mercedes.
thanks
Post edited by polkology on

Comments

• JoshParsons84
    JoshParsons84 Posts: 565
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Get rid of the MB Quarts...pure crap. Get a set of Bostons or Polk MOMO's. IMO you can't go wrong with either.
  • TakeTheTime
    TakeTheTime Posts: 249
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Or see if you can get SR6500 or SR5250 somewhere - these SR 5.25" speakers
    are much better than many 6.5" component speakers I've heard! Great midbass too. :)
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited July 2010
    Options
    If you've got the speakers running off the hu and if you're going to continue that way; I'd look at an amp before I looked at 6.5" speakers. The 6.5" off the hu, would give you a bit more at the 40-60hz range but not much else. An amp would make your current speakers sound much better. Then down the line you can look at the 6.5"

If you can do both now then that would be fine too.
  • polkology
    polkology Posts: 14
    edited July 2010
    Options
    hey guys sounds like the guys here at polk dont like the mb quarts anymore...well these are the pce-213's and by that thier a bit older so could they still be good? and also i have an amplifier already its a alpine 111x4 at 4 ohms so pretty decent. So no ones had any experience with the pce-213's. i was thinking i get boston acoustics for the back cause polk car audio is prolly not available here in canada. and also is thier gonna be a huge difference when comparing 5.25's to 6.75's i mean difference that will be noticeable? with and with a sub? also another question i have a kicker 600 rms sub should i just go with a single dvc 4 ohm sub that can handle 600 rms or 2 svc 4ohm subs that can handle 300 rms a piece?
    thanks guys
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited July 2010
    Options
    If you like the sound of your speakers, then that's all that matters. Different people will like different equipment. At the end of the day what matters is the sound you like. The sr's though are amazing, but they are history. The 6.5" sr's are long gone.

With an amp, yes you would get noticeably more at the lower end. If you add a sub you would cover and hear the entire 20-20kz range. 6.5" components up front and sub/s would be athe best combination. I would not run rears.

Running off the same power, 2x12" subs would be about 3db louder than running 1x12".

If you have some extra cash, I would look at replacing the stock hu. Get something with some basic tuning features like time alignment and a 5-7 band graphic eq.