Best 6.5" matchup to DX9s??

nikonguy
nikonguy Posts: 2
edited June 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi,

I lucked into getting a mint pair of DX9s for the rears in my 2003 Accord (factory stereo). The fronts look like 6.5" bass drivers, with a separate tweeter mounted up on the top of the dash. What current Polks would integrate well with the DX9s? I have been unable to find DX6s or DX3065s locally or online.

Thanks,

Steve
Post edited by nikonguy on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2003
    The MOMO series is supposed to be a "step up" from the DX's as Polk says. Going on that, that would be your best bet. That is probably what I would recommend too. But if you are looking for something close to being voice matched, you might want to keep looking for a set of DX seperates or even dB seperates (not the new line coming out, the old stuff).
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • nikonguy
    nikonguy Posts: 2
    edited June 2003
    They look nice, but I was hoping to keep the efficiency up around 90 dB, I'm not certain how much power I'm working with (they just say 120W system power, thanks that helps a lot guys) and I don't know how tough it would be to add an amp.

Thanks,

Steve
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited June 2003
    I don't understand why you are looking for sucha high sensitivity. Your dx9's are going to be right about the same sensitivity level as the MOMO's. The Polk MOMO's would be closer to being voice matched than the EX series. The GNX and GXR series are not even in the same league as the dx9's.

As far as amplification for the MOMO 6.5 inch speakers goes, Polk recommends 25-150 watts of power. I see no issue with running an amplifier pushing 100-150 watts RMS on those speakers.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    well i agree that the db series is tonally similar to the dx in such a manner that they'd integrate virutally seemlessly -- however the big "improvement" polk touted about the dx over the db was that you could run the dx off high deck power (20 w rms).

the db 6x9 is something like 3 db's less sensitive than the dx -- and the same goes for the dx 6.5 and 3065.

dx6 is 90 db's -- dx3065 set is 85 db's -- and the momo 6" comp set is i believe 85 or 86 -- either way -- i wouldn't run 85/86 off deck power ... thats... i dunno -- quiet.

EXIII 6's would be "ok" -- but personally i'd keep digging... i found one pair of used dx6's for 29 bucks on ebay -- another for 50 -- bought htem both and they're happily still bumpin away in their respective cars... i'm sur eu can dig something up for in that 50-ish range.

dont be deterred by "dirty" looking ones -- they clean up real good, and as long as the VC is in tact and the driver is not physically bent or torn, they'll play like a champ.

other than that -- good 6.5's off deck power -- pioneer old goldish/whitish cone TSA line.

good luck :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge