Multiple Subs HookUp

Options
Pauly
Pauly Posts: 4,519
I am new to the Home Audio World and had a few basic questions. First off my name is Paul and I live in Tampa (Fl) and have become and speaker fanatic in the last year. And i must say it is very addicative (wife hates it :)). Any way. I wanted to know the best way to hook my two subs. Right now i have a monster spliter (male to 2 female) with a sub on each.

Onkyo TXSR500
PSW350
PSW202
CSi30
(2) RS 50
Surronds are old kenwood garbage speakers (working on it, trust me!)

Any help here would be greatly appreciated! :) Look forward to talking......
Life without music would
Post edited by Pauly on

Comments

• Janusch
    Janusch Posts: 132
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Are you sure you want to hook two? You may shake your wife right out of the house. :D
  • Pauly
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Well with 12 ft walls and the room being 20 ft long...i needed another :). It wont burn my amp out will it? My usual setting on the amp is -1 to -2 on the sub chnl and they are both about 1/2 way up on the vlm on the back of the subs....
    Life without music would
  • Janusch
    edited June 2003
    Options
    It shouldn't burn out your amp. All powered sub woofers have their own power amps. I've never hooked up two. My room is 22X22 and opens up into my kitchen and office. And to be honest I think I could use two myself. Of course I would have to convince the wife it a good idea, and that could be tough sell since the bathroom fixure rattle now. :D
  • Pauly
    edited June 2003
    Options
    i just want to get the most out of them and dont know of any other way to hook them up......as it is now the whole house rattles :)

PS. I had to wheel and deal to get the extra one
    Life without music would
  • Janusch
    edited June 2003
    Options
    There are some smart people here, alot wiser then me that will be able to get you the right answer. Good luck, and remember when you do get that system together be careful when you watch Lord of the Rings. Might have to call your house insurance agent to pay for the damage. :p
  • Pauly
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Thanks! I Guess I will await the "Wiser' ones to reply.........
    Life without music would
  • Pauly
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Ok. now i know there are some smart ****$ techs out here. Is there a better way to hook two subs i have other than the way i do now? Any help would be fantastic.
    Life without music would
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Not sure I qualify as wiser, but I'm up later...

If I read you right, what you are doing is y-splitting your AVR's sub/ LFE-out to your two powered Polk sub's.... yes?

If above is correct it is placing no added burden whatsoever on your Onk, since the sub-out is an un-amplified, low voltage signal as Janusch was indicating.

As for "shaking the house", the pair may rattle things a bit, but they are not going to dig much deeper that 35 Hz or so, so I doubt it will come down around your head.

Have you balanced your system with a test disc, e.g., Avia, and an SPL meter?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I've read from other people that two subs are hard to get in phase. I dont have two subs.. but I remember someone saying that a while back. They recommended hooking them up the way you have them hooked up with the Y splitter. BUt instead of having them in opposite corners.. they said they would work better if they were stacked upon each other. the smaller one on the top of the larger one.

somehow strange as it may seem.. it kind of makes sense to me. It would or should do away with the phase problem you may encounter. either that or get rid of both of them and go for a PSW650 or PSW1200 or SVS or HSU sub instead. :D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Pauly
    edited June 2003
    Options
    My PSW350 has the LFE but the 202 does not. It has a L and R so off the sub cable i have a splitter to the 202. Is this not a good idea?
    Life without music would
  • Pauly
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Also where can i get my hands on a test disc? Is this what they are called?
    Life without music would
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Pete,

Once again using one LFE and one regular input is fine. Just be sure the crossover on the 202 is turned to manimum setting to avoid double filtering. The LFE input on your 350 bypasses the sub's filter.

I bought my Avia test disc on the Web at discountcd.com or something like that. It dropped out of a price comparison site. Try this one:
    http://www.dealtime.com/
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Here's a $7 HT setup disc, just fyi:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=510-228

Just another option for you, you might consider just using the 350 on Lfe (as you have it now), and move the 202 to the back of the room and run the rears through it (connected via high/speaker level inputs and set to 'large').

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Pauly
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I dont beleive i have the option on my amp to set to large....or do i?
    Life without music would
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If you don't, then it's probably getting a full-range signal anyway. Perfect.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • danger boy
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by spasticpitbull
    I dont beleive i have the option on my amp to set to large....or do i?

Are you talking about your sub? I know mine does not have a option for large/small for the sub. it does for all the other channels.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2003
    Options
    *think* danger, high level (speaker wire) connection to the sub.... (in the scenario I layed out)

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • danger boy
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Russ,

I read it to fast.. i reread it again now it makes sense.
  • Pauly
    edited June 2003
    Options
    yeah no large option on the amp. so no hookin gup the 202 to the rears....man who knew this would be so damn confusing. :)
    Life without music would
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Pete,

That doesn't mean you can't do it. If there isn't an option, then there is a greater chance than zero you ARE getting a full range signal back there.

Try some of the suggestions, see what works for you.

Cheers,
    Russ