SR6500 old tweeter replacement needed?!?

Options
polkfaneurope
polkfaneurope Posts: 9
edited September 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi,

I am so glad I found this forum, as I also heard that POLK discontinued the SR6500 series, just when I bought mine from a good friend.
When I installed the system, I found out that one tweeter is defective. I ordered a replacement tweeter from the european dealer and received one, but unfortunately this tweeter is NOT the one I was supposed to replace :eek: looks totally different....

This new tweeter replacement I got from Polk:
neuerhtkop1tu6r.jpg

But my old tweeter for the SR6500 looks like this:
img0684ei5svw2j.jpg
img06859pq7buni.jpg
img0687dblvxge1.jpg

My question to you guys would be:

1) Did POLK change the inbox tweeters over time?! That would be my only explanation why my tweeters look so different... :confused:

2) May I replace the old tweeter with the one I now have or are they totally different? I would then have 2 different tweeters in my system: old and new one :(

3) Any chance to get an original replacement for my old tweeter? What is the name for it at POLK?

I fear I have to buy a second tweeter to replace the other, still working one... :-(

Any ideas?

thanks a lot!

PS: Does someone maybe has this old tweeter for sale??
Post edited by polkfaneurope on

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Welcome to CP. It's the same tweeter. One picture is w/o the grill and the other ones are with the grill. :)

The SR's are discontinued, but they are an amazing pair of speaker. Which one did you get the 5250 or 6500? Congrats.
  • TakeTheTime
    TakeTheTime Posts: 249
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Haha, yes, you can just take the ring around the first one off and insert a grill and it looks the same. :p
    Congrats by the way, I've used SR5250 and love them and now I just got SR6500.
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • polkfaneurope
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I love you guys!!! :rolleyes:

You are right: The 2 tweeters are really the same. I just dared to remove the grill and compared both again:

defectokm1jvxkyc.jpg

Both the same, while the left one is apparently damaged :eek:

How much power do I need to kill the tweeter to look like this?!?! :eek::rolleyes:

Cool! I just swapped the grill and everthing is fine !!

You just saved me 50 bucks...

btw: I own the SR6500 and installed it in my e46. Amp is a Alpine PDX-4.150 and DSP a rockford 3sixty.2 with the original BMW head-unit.

kicker in e46 door with selfmade adapters:
    lseinbaue46compactplgx65he.jpg

tweeter adapted replacing the BMW tweeters (the yellow-green cable holds the tweeter in place... --> workaround to enable the sr6500 tweeters in the original placements)

lseinbaue46compactcgreau84.jpg
  • chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited July 2010
    Options
    seems like you crossed your tweets way too low, and destroyed your tweets in the process. I ran my tweets with a 4.150 as well and played a considerably higher level than you would I bet. Tbh, you really don't need more than 75rms to make those tweets screeching.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2010
    Options
    That smashed in cone is a problem with the SR tweeters. Ive had several do that. I think its heat that does it cause I got in my car once after work and it was like 130 in there and I noticed one of my tweeters was smashed in like that. By the time I got home and the AC had everything down nice and cool, it had popped out again. Weird.

If you like the ring radiator sound, these are a worthy replacement.

Another suggestion would be these LPG aluminum domes. Im running a set right now and really like them. They blend very well with the SR mids natural sound.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • TakeTheTime
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Woah, it's really blown! Is this the only two tweeters you have?
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • TakeTheTime
    edited July 2010
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    If you like the ring radiator sound, these are a worthy replacement.

Yeah, I can recommend these - sounds GREAT! Sounds just alike, and they're at least as good. ;)
  • catch22atplay
    catch22atplay Posts: 130
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Well now i don't feel so bad having 4 spares. Sounds like i may be needing them in the future after all.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures
  • arun1963
    edited July 2010
    Options
    A couple of observations.

The 360.2 gives you a lot of dsp ability. I hope you're using all of it. The really good speakers will sound magical with the right placement and tuning via your processor. But even with a drop in stock install, with minimal tuning, they will sound good. The SR can do both. Thats what makes it special. If you can, you may want to consider mounting the tweets on the dash, so that both tweets can be more on axis to you. The ring radiators work best when on axis.

How high are the gains set, on your pdx? Don't high pass the tweets lower than say 3khz. With the equipment that you're running, you can get some amazing results.
  • polkfaneurope
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the hints.

@TakeTheTime: Yes... only 2 tweeters and 2 drivers.

So little overkill to have the 3sixty.2, but I got it pretty cheap and my BMW headunit does not have line outs.... so basically a pretty expensive high-low adapter/converter. :D

I bought the SR6500 set used but it has never been installed into a car. Anyway, the guy said it was installed in a demo board. Most likely they blew the tweeter there... :mad:

To destroy my last concerns, could somebody confirm that SR6500 and SR5250 use the same tweeters?

From the partnumber printed on it it looks POLK sent me a SR5250 tweeter instead of a SR6500 tweeter :eek::confused:

serialnumbere8xgo1m4.jpg

:confused::confused::confused:
  • TakeTheTime
    edited July 2010
    Options
    You're right, my SR6500-tweeters also starts with 650. And on my old (broken) SR5250's it says 525...
    I still think they're the same, looks the same and I don't think the 6500-tweeter is made to go lower (hz). ;)

But you can't use both anyway, can you? I thought one of them was broken?
  • polkfaneurope
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I could use both.

Problem was/is: One of my two AA6503.... tweeters is blewn up (see pictures earlier). Then I ordered a spare part tweeter from POLK and instead of a AA6503xxxxx they sent me an AA5253xxxx.

Now I wonder if it makes any difference if I replace the broken AA6500xxx tweeter with the new AA5250xxx ?!?

So my final system would then have an old AA6503 and the new replaced AA5250xx tweeter :eek::(

Or should I sent the freshly received AA5250 part back to Polk and ask for a "real" AA6503xxxx ?
  • arun1963
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Both sets use the same tweet. The part numbers may be different but the tweeter is the same. Just install it.
  • polkfaneurope
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Yeah... I resarched little more and found out the same: both use the same tweeter...

Even offically, POLK offers the tweeters as individual as SR1001 (see page 4), for both sets.

http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/catalogs/2008/SR_Series.pdf

Cool !

Now I can't wait any longer to finish the installation and finally hear the system in action!

Cheers and big thanks to this awesome forum!!!
  • arun1963
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Install the speaker and then if you want, we can work together on setting the processor, so that you get the best out of your sr's. Good luck :)
  • badfireguy
    badfireguy Posts: 11
    edited August 2010
    Options
    As luck would have it, Vifa just relaesed it's own version of the neo- ring radiator for the SR Polks. It is# xt25sc90...04
    dpg52

I know Sonicelectronix is offering the "original replacements by the pair" for a paltry sum of $159.95 per pair, plus shipping. ****! I ordered mine from partsexpress anlong with a few other necessities and due to ther fact that I met the minimum amount for free shipping, I own the product improved Vifa, ( who made the original SR tweeters for Polk) for about $18.00 dollars (ameircan money, mind you) each. I believe that the mounting depth is the same, just pay attention to the faced plate, it is not designed to be used with the metal grill. Just thought I'd pass it along, I'm personally buying at least a dozen for future systems. Just thought someone might like to know! If you mount the tweets in the A pillars, you shouldn't need the grills anyway.

Cary
    If God had intended for us to listen to anything made by Bose, surely he would not have given us ears.
  • TakeTheTime
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Oh yes, these Vifa's (actually it's "Peerless V-line"?) sounds just as good - maybe even better - than the SR's! :)
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited September 2010
    Options
    i had the same thing happen to mine. it was the heat in the car that did it like mcloud said. this sucks.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Has anyone actually purchased and used the Vifa tweeters with their SR's?

My SR's are due to be here on the 27th and my Vifa's that I ordered from Madisound get here this Wednesday so I won't be able to try them out for a little while much less get the tweeters broken in as soon as I'd want to.

Wondering how they'll sound together or if anyone has compared them with the original SR tweeter.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • badfireguy
    badfireguy Posts: 11
    edited September 2010
    Options
    I have had mine installed for over a month now, with my SR-6500's and the sound is better than before. If you are running the Polk crossovers, you are crossing the tweeter over at around 3500 hz. The new tweeters (by the way come with a sticker on the rear that clearly states "Vifa xt25sc90-04 and below dph24" just to correct the gentleman that corrected me earlier.) The lower frequency limit stated by vifa is 860 hz. I would not cross them over any lower than 12-1500 cycles just to be on the safe side. Just make sure that you are able to face them toward your face. I ended up removing them from the A-pillars and made a custom mount out of MDF and placed them at each bottom corner of the windshield. The result was amazing! Give it a try, you won't be dissapointed!
    If God had intended for us to listen to anything made by Bose, surely he would not have given us ears.
  • StephSte
    StephSte Posts: 5
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Malaria is probably the worlds most significant disease. According to the World Health Organization, over a million children under five years old die from it every year the majority in Africa.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Reported.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D