displaying computer on large LCD monitor?

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
Older Dell laptop computer & older Vizio 42" LCD seek communion.

Connected by RGB pin-connector, with the computer's resolution set around the 1380x780 (or something close to that) mark, one down from the highest setting in the Display settings, and the large display remains sort of less-than-clear.

Is this a function of the video card in the computer? The settings on the computer or the TV?

What info do you, the expert, need to know in order to help me achieve clarity in this relationship? Ask me questions, I will find answers, and you will help me gain this clarity. I hope.

Thank you!

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• jinjuku
    jinjuku Posts: 1,523
    edited July 2010
    Options
    It is most likely that your pixel ratio doesn't map between what you are sending and what the fixed resolution of the monitor is at.

Is the display a 720 or 1080 display. What resolutions does your laptop support.

It is very possible that you will never be able to drive the Vizio at it's native resolution with an older computer. If you had a new laptop it would most likely support 1900X1080 and 1366X768.

Also keep in mind that if the 42" is a 720 display, even with a computer driving it at it's native resolution 'crisp' will not be used in your description of it.

Now a 720 display at 17" is quite another matter.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Here's what I know now:

The TV is a Vizio VX42L-HDTV10A. It lists "resolution" as 1366 x768 pixels and HDTV "display compatibility" as 720P. (But it says "signal compatibility" is from 480i thru 1080i.)

The computer is your basic Dell Windows Laptop. You can choose resolutions from the "Display" menu system in the Control Panel. Which resolution should I choose to display best on the TV above?
    720p on a 42" display will not look crisp regardless
    This may be my situation. Maybe we need to upgrade, eh?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • jinjuku
    jinjuku Posts: 1,523
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Here's what I know now:

The TV is a Vizio VX42L-HDTV10A. It lists "resolution" as 1366 x768 pixels and HDTV "display compatibility" as 720P. (But it says "signal compatibility" is from 480i thru 1080i.)

The computer is your basic Dell Windows Laptop. You can choose resolutions from the "Display" menu system in the Control Panel. Which resolution should I choose to display best on the TV above?

This may be my situation. Maybe we need to upgrade, eh?

MC

Dell makes a lot of computers. The basic machine from 5 years ago and today are totally different beasts.

If you don't see a resolution option of 1366X768 you are out of luck. You can try a lower resolution 1024X768 to see if that will work but you would still see bars at top/bottom of the display.

Regardless 1366X768 is not going to look good as a computer desktop display on a 42" panel.

It will take an upgrade (get a laptop with HDMI) to drive that monitor natively.
  • cokewithvanilla
    cokewithvanilla Posts: 1,777
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Sometimes if you mess around with different versions of graphics drivers, you will get different display resolutions. Make sure you use something that is the same aspect ratio.

It is not absolutely necessary to have DVI or HDMI to get HD signal, I have run 1080 with the HD-15 out on my laptop before. Usually the biggest problem is getting the correct resolution. It may help to use nvidia control panel or catalyst control center if your graphics are from one of those manufacturers. You can set custom resolutions. I believe Intel has something similar as well, but I am not very familiar with it.