Speaker selection

Options
KaosTsoc
KaosTsoc Posts: 372
edited July 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am new here, and trying to get some input. I do apologize ahead of time if these questions, are redundant, and or stupid.

I am looking at buying two 12" subs, and putting them into a ported box, and supplying at least the rms rating of the sub. I have narrowed my search down to a few options so far (not all are listed), and here they are:

Polk Audio SR124-DVC

Re Audio MX Series

Diamond Audio D612-12" dvc

JBL GTO1214D

So, my question is which one of these are going to be a good SQL, and SPL subs. I am looking to meet in the middle.

Note: I am still fairly new to the car Audio world, and any input would be nice. Also I am replacing my current after market system as well (Speakers only)

Thanks
David.
2006 Prerunner Access Cab
5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
Pioneer P860 Head Unit
Polk Audio MM6501
Alpine PDX F-6
Two SR124(SVC)
Alpine PDX M12
Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
Post edited by KaosTsoc on

Comments

• KaosTsoc
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Really guys.....nobody..... Hey look I know that some of you are going to like one brand over another etc. I am just looking to talk to some people who have a little more experiance on these brands or what not. So, I find hard believe that nobody has any suggestions or anything.... Man.......
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• Zitro
    Zitro Posts: 864
    edited July 2010
    Options
    It has only been an hour and a half since you posted lol. There are a lot more home audio guys on the forum than car audio, but some of the car guys we have really know their stuff. Just be patient; they'll chime in. Welcome to Club Polk btw!
    - Jeremy

Amps: Jolida FX-10, NAD 3045, NAD C320BEE, Sansui G-9700
    Speakers: Polk Monitor 7A's, KEF Reference 104aB
    Sources: ProJect Debut Carbon, Sonos streaming FLAC
  • KaosTsoc
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I guess that is good point. I guess in the scheme of things in compared to the rest of my life this is but a grain of sand in the desert. Ok will do, oh and thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• Zitro
    Zitro Posts: 864
    edited July 2010
    Options
    There are a few guys on this forum who actually compete in national SQ shows and such, so I'm sure they'll give you some guidance when they see the thread.
    - Jeremy

Amps: Jolida FX-10, NAD 3045, NAD C320BEE, Sansui G-9700
    Speakers: Polk Monitor 7A's, KEF Reference 104aB
    Sources: ProJect Debut Carbon, Sonos streaming FLAC
  • KaosTsoc
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Good deal. Thank you sir. I am so new to this whole forum thing that this is (no joke) my first forum to sign up for. I am 26, and I just now using forums....
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Hi, welcome to Club Polk!

I'm curious how you're porting your box? Are you going build it, if so how low are you tuning the box?

I ported my sr124 @ 33, and found it a bit too strong on the upper sub bass when I really wanted more flatter response on all freq.

FYI, I also ran sr124 sealed with 1138rms and found it a bit overwhelming. I found that 740rms was the sweet spot for me (tons of output); however, everyone is different.

But out of the 4, I would go with the GTO if you're porting.

As for comps, hands down sr5250s. They have great punchy mid-bass, excellent mid-range, and the tweets are phenomenal (a **** to mount though). Best comps I've ever owned! I have a few pairs of the 6500, but I really like how the 5250 sounds.
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Of the subs you listed, I have heard the SR and JBL. Since you're going with 2 subs, 'loudness' will not be an issue. Two of any of the subs you listed, in a ported box, with rated power, will give you enough impact. It's a personal preference, but I would go with the SR's. I found the SR cleaner sounding than the JBL.

I would also look at going with a sealed box i/o ported, but again its down to the kind of sound you want.
  • KaosTsoc
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Chu, and Arun,
    Thanks for the info, and your thoughts.

Chu, the box would be built to the manufactures specs, and tuned to about where you had your's or any where between 30-36, and yes either I will build the box, or have it done by a local shop. Why do you say to go with the the GTO if going ported? Just wondering. Also thanks for the suggestion on the comp's I was actualy thinking of going with the polk MM 6 1/2, let me know what you think.

Arun, do or did you have your SR's in a ported or sealed?

Thanks guys.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• chu
    edited July 2010
    Options
    KaosTsoc wrote: »
    Chu, and Arun,
    Thanks for the info, and your thoughts.

Chu, the box would be built to the manufactures specs, and tuned to about where you had your's or any where between 30-36, and yes either I will build the box, or have it done by a local shop. Why do you say to go with the the GTO if going ported? Just wondering. Also thanks for the suggestion on the comp's I was actualy thinking of going with the polk MM 6 1/2, let me know what you think.

Arun, do or did you have your SR's in a ported or sealed?

Thanks guys.

My buddy had his gto ported and it sounded great and had a flatter response compared to my sr124 ported. But then again, I'm not that good at building boxes so who knows? But I will say the sr124 is a beast.

I've never heard the mm comps, so I wouldn't know. But if the comps are as good as the mm840 I have now, you will not be disappointed at all. You can't really go wrong with any polk product imo, I've been pleased with every I bought thus far from polk.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited July 2010
    Options
    if you want SQL...why not go with a sealed enclosure? I have nothing against ported boxes...I've just use sealed boxes for over 20 years and never had an isue with impact or loudness...lol

just my 2 cents.

I'm not up on what subs are out there...but Adire, diamond and RF :I have had good SQL experiences with.

good luck and keep us updated.

Thomas
  • KaosTsoc
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Good deal. Thanks guys, and I will keep you all posted on what I am doing, and what I decide to go with for sure.

Ok, now the next question......... What would be a good amp to power lets say the SR subs (this would be in the middle of the listed subs above as far as watts). Here are some that I have been looking at:

Rockford Fosgate

Kicker

Zapco

These are only three of lets say several, but just wanted to list some that are pretty popular. Now what I am looking for is an amp that will produce excellent sound with very little distortion. Also if you know of any other brand that would produce no less than 1400 watts rms. (I know that some companies have there amps over rated as well).

Chu,
    Would a polk amp be good for the MM comp's?

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• chu
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Out of the three you mentioned, I only tested out the rf punch and t1 amps. I have nothing bad to say about it, it gets the job done.

I heard zapco makes great amps, but cost a hell of a lot. Just looking at one makes me drool :D~~

As for kicker, I have no clue. I never seen anyone ran a kicker amp before, but from what I've read they do exactly as the rf amps (gets the job done).

Also have you looked into alpine pdx amps? I love pdx amps, they're small, efficient, and under-rated. I powered my sr124 with pdx 1.600 and 1.000 and my sr5250 with 4.100 and 4.150 for over a year. I'm currently running the new pdx m12 which gives me 1465rms according to the birth sheet w00t w00t; however, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Polk amps will do your mm justice, I suggest looking into 500.4 series.
  • gyrertr
    gyrertr Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    Options
    We have a car thus we will be select a speaker while depend on the car size thus many car speaker is available like we have a Audi car so we will be choose a 100/200 Sedan Bose speaker because it have a suited our car thus this speaker have a size 61/9 and their location is death thus we will be choose d best speaker for car.
  • KaosTsoc
    edited July 2010
    Options
    DSkip,
    Plano, Tx
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• KaosTsoc
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Gyrertr,
    Sorry, and please excuse me, but WTF?????...... I have no idea what you said. Sorry, but I do not understand ebonics, or foreign languages other than english. Short also does not apply this, and W.T.H. are you saying???????????
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• KaosTsoc
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Chu,
    So, Alpine amps are a good amp??? I have looked at them as well, but have not heard any info about them. So, I guess it is safe to say that Polk amp, Alpine, and RF amps will work, with little distortion?

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• KaosTsoc
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Dskip,
    Do not misunderstand, but also please understand that, what you posted does not make a whole alot of sense. Kinda of hard to understand....... so, if you could please look at you post to make sure that everyone can understand. Not trying to be rude, but I just did not understand what you were trying to say.

Thanks;.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• chu
    edited July 2010
    Options
    KaosTsoc wrote: »
    Chu,
    So, Alpine amps are a good amp??? I have looked at them as well, but have not heard any info about them. So, I guess it is safe to say that Polk amp, Alpine, and RF amps will work, with little distortion?

Thanks.

Yeah, pdx, polk, and rf punch and T amps have little distortion from my personal experience. However, I must warn you that the first gen had noise floor issues. I never experience this myself and I own/used 5 different first gen pdx amps so ymmv. But the new m and f pdx model fixed and addressed those issues.

I never tried alpine mrp or rf prime amps though.

Try looking at the snr and thd value to help narrow down your choice.
  • KaosTsoc
    edited July 2010
    Options
    chu wrote: »
    Yeah, pdx, polk, and rf punch and T amps have little distortion from my personal experience. However, I must warn you that the first gen had noise floor issues. I never experience this myself and I own/used 5 different first gen pdx amps so ymmv. But the new m and f pdx model fixed and addressed those issues.

I never tried alpine mrp or rf prime amps though.

Try looking at the snr and thd value to help narrow down your choice.

Ok. Good deal, and thanks for the heads up. I do not plan on using any first gen amps. In fact my theroy as far as electronics go, is you never ever buy anything that is first gen, b/c of bugs etc. I usually wait until they produce a 2nd gen product, but that is just me.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• KaosTsoc
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Dskip
    Please disregard
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• KaosTsoc
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Ok. Thank you all for your info, are there any other subs out that other than the ones I mentioned that are good for SQ, and SPL. I have heard of other brands like FI Car Audio, Soundsplinter (not sure that is right), Focal. There are a few other, but at the moment I can not think of them. So, aside from I have listed here, are there any other suggestions?
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12