4 channel amp

Options
Marcinko7
Marcinko7 Posts: 121
edited July 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have purchased a JL Audio 1000/1v2 amp for the SR124 going in back of my 2001 Tahoe. I am now looking for the amp to drive the SR6500's front and SR5250's rear (ran out of 6500's). I'm looking at the JL Audio 450/4v2. It has 2 channels at 75 watts and 2 channels at 150 watts. I'm guessing the best setup would be to split the 75's out to the tweeters and split the 150's to the mids. Does this sound like a good sq setup or should I be running in a different direction? Thanks for any advice.
Denon 3806 Receiver
Denon 3910 DVD
Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray
Outlaw 7500 300w x 5 @4 Ohms Amp
58" Panasonic 800U 1080P Plasma TV
SVS PB-12 Plus Sub
Lsi25 Fronts-Cherry
LsiC Center
LsiFX Surrounds
SMS-1 Velo Sub EQ
PBJ Interconnects
Blue Jeans Cables

Everything was going just fine till my buddy poked the cop in the chest and said "did Andy give you your bullet today Barney?"
Post edited by Marcinko7 on

Comments

• chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited July 2010
    Options
    That works, I put much more power into my sr5250 and they were fine, loud and clear, but fine lol...
  • SivaNevets
    SivaNevets Posts: 303
    edited July 2010
    Options
    chu wrote: »
    That works, I put much more power into my sr5250 and they were fine, loud and clear, but fine lol...

hey chu, my mm6501 and pioneer 8200bt just arrives, and mm840 + mb quart onyx 4.60 (4 channel 480w) amp and rockford kit will arriev on tuesday. i just got a subbox (bassworx 8 inch .35 cft) i searched forum and i know u have the same sub. just let u know i cant wait lol
    i booked install tomorrow for hu+speaker (just front)
    and amp +sub on tuesday
    cant wat
    Front: Martinlogan ESL
    Center: Martinlogan Stage
    Rear: Martinlogan Motion 4
    Sub: Martinlogan Grotto-I
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC 1523K

PC 2 Channel: Polk LSI7
    Headset: Grado RS2 + Grado RA1 amp
    Mic: Neumann KMS605

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    MB Quart Onyx 4.60 (1/2 to components, 3/4 bridged to sub)
    Pioneer 8200BT HU
  • chu
    edited July 2010
    Options
    SivaNevets wrote: »
    hey chu, my mm6501 and pioneer 8200bt just arrives, and mm840 + mb quart onyx 4.60 (4 channel 480w) amp and rockford kit will arriev on tuesday. i just got a subbox (bassworx 8 inch .35 cft) i searched forum and i know u have the same sub. just let u know i cant wait lol
    i booked install tomorrow for hu+speaker (just front)
    and amp +sub on tuesday
    cant wat

Welcome to polk SivaNevets and congrats to your new setup :D

You will absolutely love those 8in subs, they have excellent sq and have a bit of an output with 150rms. And if you're planning on upgrading the amp, let me tell you that the mm840 can take a bit of power. I'm currently running 4 mm840 with 1465rms into it and they sound amazing >:D~~~

Just a word of advice, try stuffing your box with some polyfill and hear your sub come alive. It super cheap for a bag of polyfill (the "cotton" stuffing in the pillows) and easy to do :D
  • SivaNevets
    edited July 2010
    Options
    chu wrote: »
    Welcome to polk SivaNevets and congrats to your new setup :D

You will absolutely love those 8in subs, they have excellent sq and have a bit of an output with 150rms. And if you're planning on upgrading the amp, let me tell you that the mm840 can take a bit of power. I'm currently running 4 mm840 with 1465rms into it and they sound amazing >:D~~~

Just a word of advice, try stuffing your box with some polyfill and hear your sub come alive. It super cheap for a bag of polyfill (the "cotton" stuffing in the pillows) and easy to do :D

1465 rms on a 250rms sub? ur crazy lol
    thanks for the advice on polyfill, the polksite says "minimal polyfill" how much polyfill that would be? half pillow?

the amp im getting works in 3 channel mode, just needs 1 pair of rca line and bridge the channel 3/4 into 220rms at 4ohm so i think thats good enoug for now

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    Pioneer 8200BT HU
  • chu
    edited July 2010
    Options
    SivaNevets wrote: »
    1465 rms on a 250rms sub? ur crazy lol
    thanks for the advice on polyfill, the polksite says "minimal polyfill" how much polyfill that would be? half pillow?

the amp im getting works in 3 channel mode, just needs 1 pair of rca line and bridge the channel 3/4 into 220rms at 4ohm so i think thats good enoug for now

The general rule of thumb for polyfill is 1lb per square foot. So in your case, its .35 lbs, it may seems like a lot but just push and pack it in. Then after your sub is broken in, tinker with the amount of polyfill inside the box. Add some or take some out, and leave it for a week to see how it sounds. And adjust again the next week (if needed) till you are content with how the sub sound.

I have 4 dvc which is rated at 180 rms so that breaks down to 366ish rms per sub (twice the recommended amount :P) Anyways, I'm just letting you know that they can take a bit of punishment (prolly even more if I port these hahaha).
  • chu
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Don't buy a pillow that would be a waste, you should go to a craft store or dept @ a local retail store such as target, michaels, and etc and buy a bag full of it. It cost like $6 for a huge bag iirc.
  • SivaNevets
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i forgot to bring the kit/harness with me !@#!@#!@# how stupid am I... changed the install date to next saturday...

bought a bag of chip pollyfill from walmart.. .35 lb is a lot...

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    Pioneer 8200BT HU
  • SivaNevets
    edited July 2010
    Options
    and about polyfill, i did some research oinline see how it works, but i found the answers doesnt not explain it very well...
    ive taken some acoustics course..i think they helped a bit..

"it slows down sound wave and make it sound like a bigger box"
    - this makes no sense to me, sound travels much faster in solid in a longitutional wave form.

"i heard a cleaner pounch after using polyfill"
    -when sound transfer thru a medium, only 3 times will happen
    1,reflected - this has to do with the hardness of material surface in general, material like polyfill, will not reflect soundwave as much as a hardsurface (concrete), so i think this is the major benefit

2.absorbed, when this come to bass, the mass of material is the main factor, the heavier the box, more soundwave will get absorbed before they get out. i think this has to do with speaker unit vibration. ie, if no box, the driver will vibrate and produce unwanted sound waves.

3. transferred, if its not absorbed the rest get transfered.

hows make it sound deeper? i donno

Car Audio
    2002 MB C240 Sedan
    MM6501 components
    MM840 sub
    Pioneer 8200BT HU
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Marcinko7 wrote: »
    I have purchased a JL Audio 1000/1v2 amp for the SR124 going in back of my 2001 Tahoe. I am now looking for the amp to drive the SR6500's front and SR5250's rear (ran out of 6500's). I'm looking at the JL Audio 450/4v2. It has 2 channels at 75 watts and 2 channels at 150 watts. I'm guessing the best setup would be to split the 75's out to the tweeters and split the 150's to the mids. Does this sound like a good sq setup or should I be running in a different direction? Thanks for any advice.

In this setup you should run the 75 watt channels to the SR5250 in the rear and the 150 watt channels to the SR6500's in the front. Use the passive crossovers that come with the components. That JL 1000 is a beast and can suck up some current. May want to upgrade your alternator if possible. Port that SR124 to around 30 hz or so and have fun...