feed the homeless

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited July 2010 in The Clubhouse
From the NYT:
Should Canada Geese Be Gassed?
Ever since Canada geese flew into the engines of a US Airways jet in January 2009 and forced it to land in the Hudson River, New York City authorities and the United States Department of Agriculture have been working to thin the growing population of the migrating birds.
Last summer, wildlife biologists rounded up 1,235 Canada geese at 17 sites around the city and killed them. More recently, much to the consternation of animal-rights activists and some Brooklyn residents, nearly 400 geese and goslings in Prospect Park were packed into crates and taken to a nearby building where they were gassed with lethal doses of carbon dioxide.
City officials say that with three big airports to worry about, the proliferation of Canada geese is a safety concern, not just a nuisance, and requires drastic action.
Is gassing the best way to get rid of the geese, or reduce their numbers? Are there other methods that work just as well?

People eat geese, right? Like chicken, right? So, why not cook these geese up and feed the homeless? Am I the only person to think of this? Is there some flaw in my thinking? Are geese not eatable?

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Let them eat Foie gras...
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited July 2010
    Options
    shack wrote: »
    let them eat foie gras...

lol!!!! :D
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Goose breast cut up into chunks, marinated in italian dressing, then wrapped with a piece of bacon and grilled for about 3 to 4 min until just pink in the center is absolutely delicious!

I would say they are wasting a renewable natural resource if they aren't using the goose meat to feed the homeless or selling it to offset the costs.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Sandy Gross thinks they are.

'Oh, and bring us a goose.'

Cheers,
    Lon Chaney's lover
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • concealer404
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ^That's all you man. I like raw meat as much as the next guy, but i'm all about cooking poultry all the way through.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I think a Goose going through the turbine section of a jet is cooked pretty crispy anyway.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • j allen
    j allen Posts: 363
    edited July 2010
    Options
    It's a very good point, although it wouldn't be foie gras. That requires a captive goose that you make very sick with a fatty diet :D
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Unless you can turn the Geese into an alcoholic beverage, they aren't interested in your charity.

grey_goose_vodka.gif
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Goose is good eatin' I remember when my grandfather would always bring some home and then we would have Goose for dinner. Good stuff.

hell they could make it a dish like a philly cheese steak, just a NY Fried Goose, that would be good...
  • Scott O
    Scott O Posts: 5
    edited July 2010
    Options
    On the other hand, Micah, has it occured to you that maybe THE MAN
    doesn't want to feed the homeless? There are any number of food sources that go unused, wasted, that could be put into the service of feeding the poor. Hey, Congress could mandate that Wall Street feed the poor! Wall Street could do it, couldn't they?
    And,yes, poor geese. Some airports use Border Collies to chase the birds off. It's easier and more cost effective, I suspect, to just round them up and gas 'em. Now, if we could just figure out an easy cost effective way to deal with the homeless. Hmmmm.
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2010
    Options
    From the NYT:

People eat geese, right? Like chicken, right? So, why not cook these geese up and feed the homeless? Am I the only person to think of this? Is there some flaw in my thinking? Are geese not eatable?

MC
    Your thinking is actually perfect but the point is ALL they care about is to get the birds out of their way so they can peacefully make huge profits... They don't care about the homeless.
    Last summer, wildlife biologists rounded up 1,235 Canada geese at 17 sites around the city and killed them. More recently, much to the consternation of animal-rights activists and some Brooklyn residents, nearly 400 geese and goslings in Prospect Park were packed into crates and taken to a nearby building where they were gassed with lethal doses of carbon dioxide.
    This is nasty anyway, only human being is disrespectfull enough of life form to the point of eliminating it when it is in their way, selfishness of mankind... :rolleyes:
    dkg999 wrote: »
    Goose breast cut up into chunks, marinated in italian dressing, then wrapped with a piece of bacon and grilled for about 3 to 4 min until just pink in the center is absolutely delicious!

I would say they are wasting a renewable natural resource if they aren't using the goose meat to feed the homeless or selling it to offset the costs.
    There are actually so many people dying of hunger on this planet but businessman don't care about that kind of waste, the only waste they'll consider is their precious dollar :rolleyes:
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Unless you can turn the Geese into an alcoholic beverage, they aren't interested in your charity.

grey_goose_vodka.gif
    ROTFLMAO (however, so thrue)
    Scott O wrote: »
    On the other hand, Micah, has it occured to you that maybe THE MAN
    doesn't want to feed the homeless? There are any number of food sources that go unused, wasted, that could be put into the service of feeding the poor. Hey, Congress could mandate that Wall Street feed the poor! Wall Street could do it, couldn't they?
    And,yes, poor geese. Some airports use Border Collies to chase the birds off. It's easier and more cost effective, I suspect, to just round them up and gas 'em. Now, if we could just figure out an easy cost effective way to deal with the homeless. Hmmmm.
    Unfortunately, the attitude is simply "Who cares!!!"

This subject is quite timely, yesterday evening, I was walking on the street and noticed a huge group of geese which is quite odd to find them in the city. There must have been 20 of them, the side walk was filty with their huge excrement :( and a cat at fairly close distance keeping an eye on the big birds (must have been hoping he could get his claws on one of them) :eek:
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Hello Scott,
    When you say, "easy cost effective way to deal with the homeless" you mean providing food and shelter, meaningful counseling, half-way houses and job placement, right? All done as wisely as possible, right?
    That "gassing" reference had me a bit worried.
    Regards, Ken
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Ken - you are like deep water and old whiskey .................... smooth!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    edited July 2010
    Options
    For every goose killed I want 1$ I see it as royalties for being Canadian ;) or kill all you want for a pair of each of the new LSi coming out!
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2010
    Options
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    ROTFLMAO (however, so thrue)

Years ago I had a guy try to shake me down for cash so he could "get some food," or so he said. I offered to take him across the street to Burger King and buy him a sandwich. He kept saying no and finally responded with "f--- you, I can buy my own damn food."

The best is when the same person routinely hits you up for bus fare and uses the same story every time.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2010
    Options
    We would have flocks of homeless hanging out along the runway, worse situation than the geese!
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I've always felt that you could kill two birds with one store...well, three actually. Pigeons and squirrels are major problems in cities causing millions of dollars worth of damage a year. If you allow homeless people to be able to catch and cook said animals, you can curb the damage problem, feed hungry people and have a limiting factor on the populations of the pests.

The geese would be a good idea too I think. I mean, if they are gassing them, why not use them instead of just wasting the carcasses and honestly, the lives of the animals.

Willow wrote: »
    For every goose killed I want 1$ I see it as royalties for being Canadian ;) or kill all you want for a pair of each of the new LSi coming out!

I suppose you want "royalties" for "Canadian Bacon" too? Does that mean Canada will have to rescind it's denial that it actually exists? ;)

Lastly, Scott O., 3 posts on the forum and you're already wandering towards the deep end with conspiracy theories! Nice! Better snag one of those Club Polk tinfoil hats and quick!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • concealer404
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Scott O. seems to be special, he does have a custom user title.

• ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Or do the American thing and capitalize. Jack's Pest Service, get a contract from NYC to round up the offending foul and sell them to dog food companies, etc.

I do appreciate your noble ideas though.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Years ago I had a guy try to shake me down for cash so he could "get some food," or so he said. I offered to take him across the street to Burger King and buy him a sandwich. He kept saying no and finally responded with "f--- you, I can buy my own damn food."

This reminds me of an incident many years ago when I worked downtown. There was a popular Mexican restaurant and we were stopped by a homeless person asking the same thing. We quickly dismissed him but a woman gave us the evil eye and went to speak to him and invited him into the restaurant. She sat him down with some nachos and salsa, free for the lunch crowd, and went to order his food. When she got back to the table, he was gone. We snickered.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Should Canada Geese Be Gassed?

I think I would prefer coals to gas... nothing better than a bird cooked on the Webber.;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TECHNOKID
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Years ago I had a guy try to shake me down for cash so he could "get some food," or so he said. I offered to take him across the street to Burger King and buy him a sandwich. He kept saying no and finally responded with "f--- you, I can buy my own damn food."I went through some similar also at one point and there was no way he would accept that I take him for lunch (no use for the booze)

The best is when the same person routinely hits you up for bus fare and uses the same story every time.
    How typical!
    I think I would prefer coals to gas... nothing better than a bird cooked on the Webber.;)
    2 thumbs up :)
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2010
    Options
    While it might be a nice ideal to make the deaths of those geese come to a useful end, one has to remember that they are wild animals. They have not come from our regulated and inspected food chain.

Now if people want to go out & hunt & eat whatever they catch, if they end up getting sick, it is on THEM.

However, can you imagine the mess & cost to US the taxpayers if they fed those geese to the homeless & someone fell ill?

Talk about a disaster in the making!

Which reminds me, what do they do with the gigantic turkey that they cook every year in NYC?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2010
    Options
    This reminds me of an incident many years ago when I worked downtown. There was a popular Mexican restaurant and we were stopped by a homeless person asking the same thing. We quickly dismissed him but a woman gave us the evil eye and went to speak to him and invited him into the restaurant. She sat him down with some nachos and salsa, free for the lunch crowd, and went to order his food. When she got back to the table, he was gone. We snickered.

haha

After living in the city for nearly 10 years I became 'hardened' to all the sob stories. Friends from out state would be shocked.

While its funny these people refuse food because they just want money for booze or other drugs, I feel bad for those who are truly down on their luck and won't be given a benefit of the doubt because of all the hustlers that ruined it for them. I give in ways that I know it will be put to good use.
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited July 2010
    Options
    It's easy to group homeless people into a stereotype... either an alchoholic. drug addict, simply lazy or mentally ill or a combo of all the above. I think for most it makes them feel better about themselves to look at them in this manner, and considering that the largest portion of the homeless have at least one of these problems it is understandable.

Unfortunately in todays society with the economy being what it is and jobs going to foreign countries most people without a job and unemployment insurance would become one of the homeless within 6 months.

Not that many of us have enough savings to tide us over longer than that especially if you have a house payment, car payment a couple of kids to feed and clothe etc.

I met a homeless fellow one day at a local store cafe and it turned out this fellow had a PHD but was unable to find work for an extended period of time and due to other problems health related was broke and homeless.

I gave him an extra automobile I had that was just gathering dust and invested a little money and time in him and now this fellow is back on his feet has a good job paying in excess of 80k a year, and is involved in the community as the president of the board of a local non profit organization on a vounteer basis giving back to the homeless, so dont count out all the homeless as a lost cause some simply need a hand up is all.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Same here, Dave. When I lived downtown, it was not uncommon to get hit up five or six times on just one block. First time I gave money to someone on my way to the bar down the street and he proceeded to follow me inside, I knew we had a special bond.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2010
    Options
    snow wrote: »
    It's easy to group homeless people into a stereotype... either an alchoholic. drug addict, simply lazy or mentally ill or a combo of all the above. I think for most it makes them feel better about themselves to look at them in this manner, and considering that the largest portion of the homeless have at least one of these problems it is understandable.

Unfortunately in todays society with the economy being what it is and jobs going to foreign countries most people without a job and unemployment insurance would become one of the homeless within 6 months.

Not that many of us have enough savings to tide us over longer than that especially if you have a house payment, car payment a couple of kids to feed and clothe etc.

I met a homeless fellow one day at a local store cafe and it turned out this fellow had a PHD but was unable to find work for an extended period of time and due to other problems health related was broke and homeless.

I gave him an extra automobile I had that was just gathering dust and invested a little money and time in him and now this fellow is back on his feet has a good job paying in excess of 80k a year, and is involved in the community as the president of the board of a local non profit organization on a vounteer basis giving back to the homeless, so dont count out all the homeless as a lost cause some simply need a hand up is all.

REGARDS SNOW

A 40 oz of St. Ides says that guy wasn't hittin' people up outside of bars and gas stations for change, though, either.

People truly down on their luck usually still have humility and feel shame in having to ask for help. They are the ones who should be asking for help, but they usually aren't.
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Same here, Dave. When I lived downtown, it was not uncommon to get hit up five or six times on just one block. First time I gave money to someone on my way to the bar down the street and he proceeded to follow me inside, I knew we had a special bond.

Is it funny or sad that I can picture this scenario playing out, right down to how the guy looks, smells and how boisterous he is asking for more money or a drink?
  • TECHNOKID
    edited July 2010
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    While it might be a nice ideal to make the deaths of those geese come to a useful end, one has to remember that they are wild animals. They have not come from our regulated and inspected food chain.

Now if people want to go out & hunt & eat whatever they catch, if they end up getting sick, it is on THEM.

However, can you imagine the mess & cost to US the taxpayers if they fed those geese to the homeless & someone fell ill?

Talk about a disaster in the making!

Which reminds me, what do they do with the gigantic turkey that they cook every year in NYC?
    Very valid points right here. Very tricky situation. Howevwer, if the over population of the geese is worhtwhile the investment to ensure they are safe for eating?
    snow wrote: »

REGARDS SNOW
    I agree we should be carefull of generalising and pre-judging. I commend you for your generosity toward that gentlemen and it is nice to know that it paid off in the end. Your points on the economy and job lost toward foreign countries is also a serious reality however, a question about the US dealing with such. After unemployment, isn't there some form of welfare program? Here in Canada, homeless is not exactly related to lack of money but rather a choice one makes as ressources are in place for unemployed or unemployable (sickness, disability etc...). People going through such are having financial challenges but at least they don't have to worry about living facilities or money for food. Can you comment on how the US proceed to help its population in order to avoid food or accomodations problems?

Cheers!
    TK
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • snow
    snow Posts: 4,329
    edited July 2010
    Options
    A 40 oz of St. Ides says that guy wasn't hittin' people up outside of bars and gas stations for change, though, either.

People truly down on their luck usually still have humility and feel shame in having to ask for help. They are the ones who should be asking for help, but they usually aren't.
    Not going to take that bet :) those who are hitting people up for loose change have no respect for themselves and are beggars and have no desire to change their way of life.

REGARDS SNOW
    Well, I just pulled off the impossible by doing a double-blind comparison all by myself, purely by virtue of the fact that I completely and stupidly forgot what I did last. I guess that getting old does have its advantages after all :D