gun ownership question

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited July 2010 in The Clubhouse
Hypothetical issue: I have inherited a couple of handguns. Not antiques, but modern guns. I have no real documentation with them. Yet, I don't want to be holding unlicensed guns, you know? So, what can/should I do? How do you get licenses or documentation for guns that you have inherited?

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• PerfectCreature
    PerfectCreature Posts: 1,456
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Just leave it alone. I would what people don't know cannot hurt them.
    Not worth the trouble....
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Rocket 33s 10ft
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest Alpha-Snake 25ft Interconnect
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
    Samsung Smart TV 40" 1080p 3D
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ^^^ No

Micah, you may want to give your local PD a call and see what they say, assuming you haven't done so already. I've often wondered the same, but I've always bought mine new so they're registered to me from the get-go.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Send them to me.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Just leave it alone. I would what people don't know cannot hurt them.
    Not worth the trouble....

Uhh, owning unregistered / unlicensed firearms in a lot of states is a felony with mandatory jailtime. In MA if you are caught with a freakin' pellet gun without a license you're going to jail for a year. This is some bad advice.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Demiurge
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I've often wondered the same, but I've always bought mine new so they're registered to me from the get-go.

They make you register guns in Texas? Wow!

They don't even make you do that here and we don't have CCW.
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Here, you do NOT have to register a gun. Run a check to make sure they aren't stolen. Don't get caught with a stolen or concealed weapon (unless you have a permit). Otherwise, as far as I know, you do NOT have to register a firearm. This is America fer chrissakes.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Go to the NRA website and there will be links to state laws that cover this type of scenario.

BTW - discussing anything to do with guns on this forum is taboo.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited July 2010
    Options
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Uhh, owning unregistered / unlicensed firearms in a lot of states is a felony with mandatory jailtime. In MA if you are caught with a freakin' pellet gun without a license you're going to jail for a year. This is some bad advice.

"The right of the Citizenry to keep and bear arms shall NOT be infringed..."

If you want to keep them, I would consult the NRA website as suggested, and follow the advice given there.
    If you want to keep them when they come around trying to take them from you, say nothing at all.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Micah Cohen
    edited July 2010
    Options
    anything to do with guns on this forum is taboo
    I have a taboo. Got it at the Museum in Baltimore. Yep.

Anyway, these guns I might hypothetically have are not lost or stolen, I just don't know how to find out about updating probable existing (but not found) licensing and permiting.

I'll check some of the websites mentioned.

Ta-BOO!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Demiurge
    edited July 2010
    Options
    "The right of the Citizenry to keep and bear arms shall NOT be infringed..."

If you want to keep them, I would consult the NRA website as suggested, and follow the advice given there.

If you want to keep them when they come around trying to take them from you, say nothing at all.

I'm pretty sure bobman isn't in favor of the laws there. He's probably just suggesting that keeping unregistered guns in a state that requires them to be registered it isn't worth the felony that will be on your record for life.

Laws vary from state to state.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure bobman isn't in favor of the laws there. He's probably just suggesting that keeping unregistered guns in a state that requires them to be registered it isn't worth the felony that will be on your record for life.

Laws vary from state to state.

What he said.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited July 2010
    Options
    No worries on that Bob... I don't own anything more powerful than a Super Soaker, but when we live in an age where a 6 year old faces arrest and expulsion from school for making a gun out of his fingers, it is important to make clear what the founders set forth in the Constitution.

When the people fear the Government, there is tyrany. When the Government fears the People, there is LIBERTY. The second ammendment exists exactly for that purpose.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2010
    Options
    If you're still in MD, looks like you're good unless it's a handgun: http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_md.htm
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • davidk0512
    davidk0512 Posts: 157
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    They make you register guns in Texas? Wow!

They don't even make you do that here and we don't have CCW.

Registration is not required in Texas. If you buy a new or used firearm from a dealer, it will be registered. If you buy from an individual, no registration required. Personally, I wouldn't buy from someone I don't know, and I wouldn't buy something if the history is not known. If you happen to get questioned about a gun you are in possession of that has been reported stolen or used in a crime, you'll have some 'splaining to do.
    David
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited July 2010
    Options
    pssst, shoot me a p.m.. I know a guy...:p

Seriously though, use the NRA website to find the nearest FFL, and he can unload them for you, via gunbroker.com, or auctionarms.com. Both sites are similar to ebay, but for wearpons.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I assume you are still in NC. Since they are handguns, they must be registered.
    B. North Carolina Requirements

Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the state, any pistol, unless the purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver possesses a valid North Carolina-issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain a permit prior to the transfer of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction, typically at a sporting goods store, but also between private individuals or companies throughout North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-402(a)

In addition, this State law has been interpreted to require that a pistol permit be obtained by the receiver of a handgun when such person inherits a pistol as a result of the death of another person. The permit should be given to and retained by the seller or donor of the handgun. In such a case, the permit should be given to the executor or receiver of the estate of the deceased person. If the purchaser or receiver uses a North Carolina- issued concealed carry permit for the transfer, the seller should reference such permit on a bill of sale.
    (Q) HOW DO I GET A HANDGUN PURCHASE PERMIT?

ANSWER: Pistol permits may be obtained from the sheriff where the purchaser or receiver resides. An application must be submitted to the sheriff by the individual who desires to obtaina pistol permit, and must satisfy the requirements of North Carolina law. These requirements are set out in Section II. Of this publication.

If it is a rifle or shotgun...no permit/registration is required.
    (Q) DO MY GUNS HAVE TO BE REGISTERED WITH THE SHERIFF OR POLICE DEPARTMENT WHERE I LIVE?

ANSWER: Except as to the requirement to lawfully possess a machine gun under N.C.G.S. 14-409, North Carolina generally does not require other types of firearms to be registered with the sheriff or Police Department. The only type of "registration" requirement is that a purchaser or receiver of a pistol must first obtain a pistol permit, for each pistol, from the sheriff of the county in which he/she resides. Note: A local act requiring registration for Durham, N.C. is still valid law in the State.

Here is the law where the above info came from:

http://www.grnc.org/images/wa_2007NCFirearmsLawsPub.pdf
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • PerfectCreature
    edited July 2010
    Options
    We have never had to register guns unless you buy them new, or wanted a concealed weapons permit.
    Or unless you wanted to hunt with them....I mean....it is different for every state though. That was my bad.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Research your local cities' law (thanks to a hiccup called "preemption"). The NRA is actively trying to do away with preemptive rules which just confuse things for law abiding citizens, trying to do the right thing--in essence, a state would have laws that covered the ENTIRE state, and no county, city, or otherwise could preempt the states law.

Criminals don't research gun laws...imagine that.

Me, I'd store them as hypothetical guns. Kind of a catch-22 huh? Now I'm no longer a "law abiding citizen" am I?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • PerfectCreature
    edited July 2010
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Me, I'd store them as hypothetical guns. Kind of a catch-22 huh? Now I'm no longer a "law abiding citizen" am I?

That what I was getting at....kind of. I mean, if you only use them for house protection or some sort....
    I don't know your call....
    The right thing would be to take them and get them registered.
    Receiver
    Harman Kardon HK 3490
    Speakers
    Polk Audio Monitor 50s
    Subwoofer
    Klipsch KSW-100
    Cables
    AudioQuest Optilink1 2m
    AudioQuest HDMI-1 2m

Alienware X51 R2
    PS4
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Correct, I'd encourage doing it right; hopefully he doesn't lose them in the process of doing the "right" thing.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • davidk0512
    davidk0512 Posts: 157
    edited July 2010
    Options
    "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" Unknown Origin 1972?

If they have a clean history, I'd prefer to have them hidden away just in case they're ever needed, nobody needs to know. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    David
  • Micah Cohen
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I am going to find out how to register them, or at least find out if they are already registered to the relative I got them from, hypothetically.

It's weird thinking I'd go to someone and say, "I have a gun, please help me," but it would be weirder still to have someone break in here and be warned off by my waving of the hypothetical gun and then I'd have to figure out how to report the break in. How did I scare the guy off? With what? (Just my face? Could be.)

Better to have it on the up-and-up. When the zombies come back it won't matter anyhow, and I'll have something to kill them with.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Hypothetical issue: I have inherited a couple of handguns. Not antiques, but modern guns. I have no real documentation with them. Yet, I don't want to be holding unlicensed guns, you know? So, what can/should I do? How do you get licenses or documentation for guns that you have inherited?

MC

reported :D

A gun dealer will help you more than anyone else.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
This discussion has been closed.