Upgrade plans

Options
shelling
shelling Posts: 4
edited November 2001 in Technical/Setup
My plans to replace my beloved Monitor-7C's with a set of 800i's came to a halt last spring when I discovered that the LSi's were on the way. So I've been waiting patiently for November to arrive for quite some time. Now I've got my eye on the LSi15. The excitement was building when "Polk" Paul let fly with this:
Yes, you need a better amp to drive these puppies, so if you have mid-level electronics, LSi is not for you.

Ack!! What are mid-level electronics? Will my receiver cut it?? Will my wife divorce me when I inform her I need a new amp too???

Here is my system currently:

Front: Monitor-7C
Center: CS-250-S
Rear: S4
Sub: Velodyne VA-1012XII
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V995
DVD: Yamaha DVD-S700
LD: Pioneer CLD-D406

The most pressing question is, "Can I get away with driving the LSi15's
with the receiver I have, or is that just a waste of time?"

My upgrade plan started with the main speakers, followed by a new center channel ( I assume the CS-250 is not going to cut it with the LSi's).
I know you can never have enough power, so I thought a separate amp
might be in the long range plan. Do I need to plan the amp upgrade sooner rather than later with the LSi-15???

Paul, Ken, please help me with the plan. I don't want to bring home new speakers only to find out I don't have enough juice to drive them. If the Yamaha isn't going to do the job, can you recommend some amps that would be appropriate so that I can work on the budget?? Thanks.

Scott
Post edited by shelling on

Comments