sit in silence, or post to facetext?

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited July 2010 in Music & Movies
From an article in the NYT called "Forget Shhh! Theaters Want You to Sing Along" [7/11/10 in the Media & Advertising section]:

"Older moviegoers may still prefer to sit in silence, but younger audiences — the ones studios work hardest to motivate off the sofa — are increasingly programmed to interact and multitask. Sitting quietly in a theater starts to feel like a bore when you can watch the DVD at home while texting a friend, playing a video game and posting witty comments on Facebook."

Do you sit in silence, or post witty comments to your Facebook? (Is the world going to hell, or what?)

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Silence. (The world is definitely going to hell in a hand basket)

I AM a crotchety old ****!
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Don't really watch movies at home... but when I listen to music, I listen. No distractions (although occasionally one of our two kittehs comes and joins me, demanding a little attention for its presence). Indeed, glasses off/eyes closed and in the dark is good, too.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited July 2010
    Options
    From an article in the NYT called "Forget Shhh! Theaters Want You to Sing Along" [7/11/10 in the Media & Advertising section]:

"Older moviegoers may still prefer to sit in silence, but younger audiences — the ones studios work hardest to motivate off the sofa — are increasingly programmed to interact and multitask. Sitting quietly in a theater starts to feel like a bore when you can watch the DVD at home while texting a friend, playing a video game and posting witty comments on Facebook."

Do you sit in silence, or post witty comments to your Facebook? (Is the world going to hell, or what?)

MC

Silence!!!!

I hate watching a movie with my 13 year old because he won't STFU during the movie. He thinks he entitled to commentary and makes the movie all about him. Then his mom gets mad at me:rolleyes: (yeah thanks for backing me up) WTF what ever happened to common curtesy!?!

I've told him that if he utters one more word while we're trying to watch a movie, he's banned to his bedroom till the movie's over and won't be invited to watch any more with us . . . that seemed to have buttoned his lip.

You surely struck a nerve!
  • j allen
    j allen Posts: 363
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I really, really dislike going to theatre to begin with. I prefer to multitask; I'll generally sit there and read a book while my fiancee watches a movie. She'll occasionally pause it to yell at me for not not paying attention.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    edited July 2010
    Options
    None of the above. I enjoy the movie in silence and laughter or I leave.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited July 2010
    Options
    When I watch a movie I am fully committed to that movie. No chatting, no noise, no facebook or texting or mariachi bands in the background. I want silence, except for laughter or gasps of horror. I like watching at home the most, b/c the room is deadly silent except for MY noise, and I can laugh as maniacally as I please without worrying about someone in the next row complaining or calling the looney bin on me.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2010
    Options
    jflail2 wrote: »
    When I watch a movie I am fully committed to that movie. No chatting, no noise, no facebook or texting or mariachi bands in the background. I want silence, except for laughter or gasps of horror. I like watching at home the most, b/c the room is deadly silent except for MY noise, and I can laugh as maniacally as I please without worrying about someone in the next row complaining or calling the looney bin on me.

Give that man a ceegar!

I like going to the movie theater but it just seems like there are too many inconsiderate assclowns who like to keep the cell phone on, gab, ask questions (this one kills me. . .are you watching the same movie as me?), constant movement towards the goodies counter or rest rooms, jackasses (you know what I mean) etc etc etc. STFU I'm trying to focus on the movie and yes the dialog is just as important as the pretty pictures!?! UGH!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I gave up on movie theaters a long time ago. Having to tell some punk that I'd shove his phone up his rear end if he didn't put it away just isn't part of the movie experience I went there for.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited July 2010
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I gave up on movie theaters a long time ago. Having to tell some punk that I'd shove his phone up his rear end if he didn't put it away just isn't part of the movie experience I went there for.

Yeah besides Jesse, you'd still be able to hear the phone ring, or the signal saying he/she got another text message (although it may be somewhat muffled).:D

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited July 2010
    Options

Again, where is the like button.

And my answer to the OP is yes.
  • hearingimpared
    edited July 2010
    Options
    headrott wrote: »
    Yeah besides Jesse, you'd still be able to hear the phone ring, or the signal saying he/she got another text message (although it may be somewhat muffled).:D

Greg

Cracking me up!!!
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I've been banned from the local chain of theaters,, so it's netflix for me.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Sitting quietly in a theater starts to feel like a bore when you can watch the DVD at home while texting a friend, playing a video game and posting witty comments on Facebook."

Yeah, this is the same group that listens to 128 bit mp3's.

I don't mind laughter from comedies or shrieks from horror movies but I overwhelmingly prefer silence. I want to hear the dialogue and feel the mood the director is trying to convey whether that's done by the lighting or background music or from the actors themselves. At $20 for 2 tickets + $9 for two drinks and $5 for popcorn, I want everybody to STHU so I can escape to the big screen. If you're multi-tasking, you'll miss the little things. Might as well just watch the trailers and go home or stay home because you can hit rewind.

Of course, if you get bored at a movie, get up and leave because that movie sux. Go home and text all your friends how much it sucked and the low box office take will send a message to the studio not to make sucky movies.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I've been banned from the local chain of theaters,, so it's netflix for me.
    You are confusing the strip clubs with the movie theaters. What are we gonna do with you?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I don't even want texting in my HT. I was about to watch a movie with my daughter last night and as it's coming on, she's texting. I quickly asked if she was going to watch the movie or text because she wasn't going to do both.

I know this will jinx me, but my last several experiences at the theater have actually been pretty good except for the crying baby in Toy Story 3.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited July 2010
    Options
    silence. if i ever decide to patronize another movie theater ever again i'll be sure to bring my 200mW red laser to point at their cell phones and blind them instantly with the reflection. against the law? okay, i'll just use my 5mW green laser and temporarily blind them youts. did you say youts?

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.