Polk VS-25 speakers

Options
capecodder
capecodder Posts: 613
edited July 2010 in Vintage Speakers
Hey guys (and gals), long time no post. There is pair of Polk VS-25 speakers for sale close to me for pretty cheap ($50). I don't really have any need/use for them but they seem fairly rare. Any reason I should grab them or will they be a white elephant for me?

Thanks
Post edited by capecodder on

Comments

• concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I'd pay $50 for a set in good shape.

They are fairly rare for sure. They sound decent, but not amazing. Kcoc and i have both had a pair in recent memory.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I'd pay $50 for a set in good shape.

They are fairly rare for sure. They sound decent, but not amazing. Kcoc and i have both had a pair in recent memory.

I paid that plus 1 hr driving e/w for mine. The tweeter they have in them 'stock' are pretty shrill (to me), and I have not upgraded the crossover to see if that can help. I did get them to sound 'acceptable' running a tube buffer and silver speaker wires to smooth out the sound. An upgraded tweeter and Xovers would go along way, but that is still on my TDL list. Plus I like have a somewhat rare speaker. The do have a rather nice, small footprint, while having the cabinet volume of a Mon 5, so I am still holding on to them, for now, in the hopes of making them sing someday. :p
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Neat little peice of Polk history, I'd take a pair for $50. The old 'Video Shielded' ads are funny, if you can find one, check it out - the 'tv' for the home theater is hilarious by todays standards.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • capecodder
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Thanks guys. Wasn't sure if these were hidden gems or what since not much info is available. I really don't need them and have no interest to do the upgrades to enhance performance.

I may still grab them if I "get around to it." If any area Polkies are interested in them I can pick them up and hold them for local pick-up.
  • kcoc321
    edited July 2010
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Neat little peice of Polk history, I'd take a pair for $50. The old 'Video Shielded' ads are funny, if you can find one, check it out - the 'tv' for the home theater is hilarious by todays standards.

page 12 of the 1985 brochure

attachment.php?attachmentid=50318&stc=1&d=1278960573

BTW: They use a MW6504 which is a shielded version of the MW6502 (verify with Kim @ Polk CS)
  • concealer404
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Where is local for you? I'd rock a set.
    kcoc321 wrote:
    I paid that plus 1 hr driving e/w for mine. The tweeter they have in them 'stock' are pretty shrill (to me), and I have not upgraded the crossover to see if that can help. I did get them to sound 'acceptable' running a tube buffer and silver speaker wires to smooth out the sound. An upgraded tweeter and Xovers would go along way, but that is still on my TDL list. Plus I like have a somewhat rare speaker. The do have a rather nice, small footprint, while having the cabinet volume of a Mon 5, so I am still holding on to them, for now, in the hopes of making them sing someday.

Ditch the silver wires, man... ;) Nice warm coppers help out some with the shrillness.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• kcoc321
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I tried coppers (AQ type4's). I liked the silvers FOR THESE SPEAKERS, just what sounded best with them. What I didn't like with the silvers is the reduced the bass output, comparatively.
  • concealer404
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Gotcha. :)

• capecodder
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Where is local for you? I'd rock a set.

As the name suggests; Cape Cod, MA
  • concealer404
    edited July 2010
    Options
    capecodder wrote: »
    As the name suggests; Cape Cod, MA

Touche. :p