SR to MM :( conversion.....

Options
brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,621
edited July 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
So over the past several months my SR's have each started to crackle and get to the point that I cannot listen to them pleasantly singing away due to the degradation of sound........

Since the SR's are wiped out and gone (as is the entire warranty stock), I've decided that I'm going to put the MM6501's in their place (I have 2 sets of SRs, thus 2 sets of MMs will be installed). I'm hoping that it'll be a fairly simple swap since the drivers are all the same size........(pipedream i'm sure)

I know the crossover of the SR was well designed, but would it make any sense to keep that being used with the MM drivers? Is that even an option?
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,751
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Ummm...I think the MM series magnets are larger. Better check that.

As far as the SR crossovers being used, you may need to do a bunch of tuning/tweaking but you could most likely use them with the MM speakers.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2010
    Options
    It should be relatively easy. The SR basket was shallow but pretty damn wide so the MM's should just drop right in.

As for the crossover, the SR crossover is pretty high. It has the tweeter cut off a lot higher than the silk MM tweeter will be. It actually might work out cause Ive always liked a higher cutoff point for my tweeters anyway. You can always hook them up and see how they sound. Wont hurt anything other than being a pain in the **** to unhook em if they dont sound good.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I too had to down grade from the sr's to the momos recently. The sr's had cleaner and more natural upper mids and better mid bass in the 40-70hz range. More dynamic and better transients. But heck, the momos are almost 80% there. It's the last 20 % you miss. The MM's are better than the momos. Both at the bottom and top. So you're probably looking at a difference of about 15%.

If its the sr mids that are messed up and you're running passive, try running the MM mids with the sr tweets thru the sr xover. Oh! and try running just one pair upfront first. You really don't need the second pair. Just a thought.
  • arun1963
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The sr 5250 is still available. It's a 5.25" mid driver. The sr-6500 are all gone. These were a 6.75" driver.
  • arun1963
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Polk is not replacing them with something else?

I'm hoping they will. I'll know next week.
    There's 3 pairs for sale on eBay right now:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=Sr6500

Yeah, but shipping to India would be a killer...:) Plus, 99% of the people selling car audio equipment would have pushed it past the safe levels. Maybe its just a mindset.
  • arun1963
    edited July 2010
    Options
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,409
    edited July 2010
    Options
    what happened Brett, too much abuse or what, why are they all failing?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • brettw22
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Initially it was the front driver-side speaker that started to have some static/buzzing issues......then somehow over the next few weeks (while the car was sitting at the airport) they started to all bring a static/buzzing sound to some of the stuff I was listening to.

I don't listen to them crazy loud....i've had moments, but I'm not one to have things blasting to the point of being heard 5 miles down the road........

The reason the SR line was discontinued was the manufacturer that was making the parts went away (i think bankrupt). From Polks perspective, they would ultimately have to completely start a new line bottom to top to get it back up and running since the components would be different etc etc so they opted to not invest into the R&D of another bottom up line......
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2010
    Options
    hey why not look on Epay for some replacement SR drivers or the parts you need?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • brettw22
    edited July 2010
    Options
    for replacement parts, unless they're coming from a manufacturer I'm generally gonna err on the side of people selling junk that I don't want to have to bother with as an option....

I've read that the MMs are really well made speakers, so I'll give them a go and see what happpens......
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited July 2010
    Options
    That's really disappointing to hear that the SR drivers are, well, failing. Really makes me wonder about some wiring issues or shorts that could have damaged them, or some noise that's being induced from a new scenario, or worn interconnects or something to introduce this static.

I just don't want to accept that the SR's had a terribly short lifespan.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • brettw22
    edited July 2010
    Options
    When the company that's making them for you goes under, Polks hand are tied.....
  • arun1963
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I think pulling the SR series, was purely a commercial decision taken by DEI/Polk. IIRC when Polk selected this factory in China to make the SR drivers, they were already doing business with this factory. I don't think any of the home audio side speakers have been pulled on this account.

Plus, when selecting the factory to make the SR's, at least 2 other factories were put through the grind. Factory visits, compliances, sample batch approvals, etc etc. So if the current factory was going under, there was a back up.
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I have a really good feeling that if Matt Polk still owned the joint, the SR's would still be going.

DEI is a huge **** company and they know theres a lot more money to be made in selling $100 subs to teenagers by the droves as opposed to selling a few $900 sets of speakers to the relatively few audiophiles.

Thats why there are virtually no audiophile level car audio speakers left! All the smaller, SQ oriented companies were bought out by big massive companies and out go the high end and in come the $100 subs with blue LED's on them.

Thats probably why the top SQ guys use raw home audio drivers in their rides as opposed to off the shelf stuff.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited July 2010
    Options
    That's a damn shame. I was just lately extolling the virtues of the SR line. Shoot, I wanted to get some for myself... Damn...
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Antny, You can still find the 5-1/4" models

Not really. I was told there were like a dozen sets left and that was several months ago. Im sure there are still some floating around out there but they probably wont be in authorized dealers.

• arun1963
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Yeah, but you don't need 2 pairs. So $600 would do it. A 4k car with sound worth a million bucks would be a cool ride ;)

When I'm listening to the music, all the flaws in my 9K (book value) Ford just vanish :D
  • arun1963
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The 6x9 and the components would sound different. The 6x9 though would munch on the compos for bass and loudness. If you can get them in the front doors, that would be great. Don't run a second pair as rears ;).