Signal Cable Analog Two with Bullet Plug

Options
polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited June 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
A quick review of the analog two with bullet plug performance that I thought might benefit others. They are strictly my subjective opinion and experience. YMMV...:

Equipment:
Rotel rsx-1065 Receiver
Speaker Polk Audio LSi9
Sony XA3ES CDP

material: Peter Cincotti (Concord records) - self titled album

Initially (before burn in), I noticed the sound to be detailed mid, slightly bloated low, and clean high.

After burned in (50+ listening hours):
Overall: improved soundstage, low and mid are clean and detailed, and increase ambiance on acoustic instruments.

Low: noticably more solid, controlled, bloat dissapeared, replaced by a tight, focused/defined, and expose the speaker's true ability to dig lower. Very impressive! A forgone conclusion to skip subwoofer for 2channel system with LSi9.

Mid: noticably cleaner mid, detailed, and instruments become easier to distinguish. Piano is very detailed, down to the sound of the hammer hitting the strings. Vocal is clean, to the point that it exposes his vocal ability or limitation, rather. Saxophone sound is also very detailed. Improved overall ambiance of an acoustic quartet band.

High: accurate, clean, no brightness, warm.

Superb analog i/c, beats optical output by a wide margin (or is it an indication of better quality on the Sony dedicated DAC for music only, compared to the Rotel A/V processor DAC).

All in all, a very rewarding experience and investment...great ROI!
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    polka,
    What are you comparing to here? An-2's with the standard RCA's?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • polkatese
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Tour,
    a critical error of omission, duh :)

It is in comparison to analog two with rca and optical...thank you for noticing that, otherwise others would say, huh :confused:
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Well, after all, you knew what you were talking about... :)

So if I've got this now, you are saying that you found the bullet RCA's Frank is offering on the An-2's to be a worthwhile tweak at what, ~$50 per cable pair vs. the standard RCA's?

Also where does optical fall in this trio? I may have missed a thread on that one. What optical did you test?

BTW... I thought the LSi9's were speakers, not a Receiver... :D
    (Gawd, I'm in full smart-**** mode today...)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • polkatese
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Well, after all, you knew what you were talking about... :)

So if I've got this now, you are saying that you found the bullet RCA's Frank is offering on the An-2's to be a worthwhile tweak at what, ~$50 per cable pair vs. the standard RCA's?
    that is what I am saying...here's a description of bullet plug, in case:

http://www.eichmanncables.com/bullet_plug/index.html
    Also where does optical fall in this trio? I may have missed a thread on that one. What optical did you test?
    it's a regular OEM Sony optical. I was in the camp that think if it's optical, it must be superior. So, for the longest time, I have the CDP connected to the receiver via optical (no coax available) and ignore the analog output. FWIW, I learned 1) current crop of DAC is not necessarily better, 2) dedicated audio DAC (from a solid CDP) is better than A/V DAC (in this case, or at least until I get to the next level of processors)
    BTW... I thought the LSi9's were speakers, not a Receiver... :D
    (Gawd, I'm in full smart-**** mode today...)
    fixed, and that's is actually a fair corrective comment...typing error bugs me...
    :D
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Great review - very encouraging.

I've got six A2's waiting in the wings for burn-in for SACD and DVD-A. Just gotta get my rack pulled out and install them.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • polkatese
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Thanks, Doc...look forward to your review so that we can convince Tour to upgrade his interconnects ;)
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    :lol:... Did I not mention that I bought 7 balanced IC's from Frank? They were his newly upgraded XLR's, as he gave up on the Signatures he was trying to develop.

Also nabbed a Digital IC from him... It's likely I'll get back to him for more later...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• polkatese
    edited June 2003
    Options
    yes you did! so what do you think? identical design to his analog 2 (belden) on goldplated XLR....growing believers crowd in the power of analog two, thanks to Russ for introducing sc to the forum!
  • Tour2ma
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I'm liking them, but have yet to do a critical check vs. my Tara's vs. some MC's a seller through in an ebay sale to me vs. crappo, old, stock RCA's (with and without corroded terminations)... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli